Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE: Sheraton Reading left Dec 31,2008 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE: Sheraton Reading left Dec 31,2008 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2005, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Arrow GONE: Sheraton Reading left Dec 31,2008 [Master Thread]

I have been unfortuante enough to have to stay at this property for 80+ nights this year. Up until last night, I stayed here because it is the only hotel from a major chain that had a restaurant and room service. While the food wasn't great and the service poor, I had no other option.

One of the major quirks about this property is that the bar is run like a "normal bar" not a hotel bar. There is a cover on Wednesdays of $5 for a hiphop/RnB night and upto a $30 cover for Thursday Jazz night. While I find it rediculous that hotel bar charges guest a cover (though they do discount it 50%), the biggest problem is the crowd that it draws. On more than a few occasions I have been yelled at etc.. on Wednesday when I get back to the hotel after work. Every couple of weeks I can hear a fight outside around 1 a.m. or so.

Well, last night 6 shots were fired and 20+people brawled in the lobby and outside. I understand that violence happens, but none of these people were guests of the hotel. This hotel "imports" these problems by trying to run a club in a hotel bar without the security to match. For the first time in my life, I didn't feel safe in my hotel room.

I am normally a Marriott guy (Plat. Prem) but tried Starwood as there are no Marriotts and they have the restaurant. I like Marriott because I know what I get every hotel, and hoped Starwood would be the same, but I guess not. I love W and Westin, but I assume that a minimum standard would be applied to all properties to prevent this type of occurence.

http://www.readingeagle.com/re/lead/brawl.asp
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:43 pm

Am I missing something? Are you saying other major hotel brands don't have rowdy bars that cater to locals?! Hogwash!

I've stayed at Reading numerous times and know the bar there. You're painting an ugly picture which is undeserved. May I ask why you keep going back after you've been yelled at repeatedly?

"Stuff" happens. When you're on the road a lot... a lot of stuff happens. I've been in countless spots where I felt unsafe. Whether it be at a hotel, gas station or diner. Stuff happens and it's no fault of the owners.

My wife and I spent part of our honeymoon at the Hilton Hawaiian Village (1986). We were getting ready for bed one evening when two men knocked on our door saying they were "hotel security" and demanded to "speak" with me.

Being from MetroNY, I was already wise. I refused and threatened that at least one of them would not see tomorrow if they came through that door. All the while my wife was frantically trying to contact the front desk... to no avial. Our phone was also unable to dial an outside line.... hmmm.

To this day we are convinced we were set up by a staff member who disabled our phone during that time.

Luckily, the two men departed after about 5 minutes and our phone suddenly began to work again. We called the police and they filed a report.

Did I blame Hilton? Of course not. Sure, I complained, but realized the situation was out of their control. They tried to make it up to us as best they could and promised to try find and prosecute any staff member involved.

More recently (in the mid-90's) an associate of mine was robbed at knife-point in an elevator at the Newark Airport Marriott.

Does he blame Marriott for allowing a bad element to roam their hotels? Of course not. Again, the police were called. Marriott tried to make it up to him as best they could. Again a situation not completely in their control.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:55 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, Intercontinental Platinum
If you MUST stay in Reading.......use the Holiday Inn Express at the airport. This is a fairly new property with excellent service and rooms. No, there is no restaurant, but you can easily drive out or call out for food.
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

I have stayed repeatedly as it is the only hotel with a restaurant and room service. With a limited selection, I make do with what is available. Getting yelled at doesn't bother me that much, but it is annoying when it is going on 2 a.m. If any other hotel were available with the a restaurant, I would not have returned here.

I have stayed in hotels that have popular bars attached to them, but none that where bar patrons have direct access to the hotel without going past security. In my post I mentioned that the hotel lacks the necessary security and I consider 20 or 30 people in a brawl that results in gun play a little more the "rowdy". I don't know when the last time you stayed here, but even the locals at my client mention that crowd gets a little rough.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 5:35 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by icfleming
I have been unfortuante enough to have to stay at this property for 80+ nights this year. Up until last night, I stayed here because it is the only hotel from a major chain that had a restaurant and room service. While the food wasn't great and the service poor, I had no other option.

One of the major quirks about this property is that the bar is run like a "normal bar" not a hotel bar. There is a cover on Wednesdays of $5 for a hiphop/RnB night and upto a $30 cover for Thursday Jazz night. While I find it rediculous that hotel bar charges guest a cover (though they do discount it 50%), the biggest problem is the crowd that it draws. On more than a few occasions I have been yelled at etc.. on Wednesday when I get back to the hotel after work. Every couple of weeks I can hear a fight outside around 1 a.m. or so.

Well, last night 6 shots were fired and 20+people brawled in the lobby and outside. I understand that violence happens, but none of these people were guests of the hotel. This hotel "imports" these problems by trying to run a club in a hotel bar without the security to match. For the first time in my life, I didn't feel safe in my hotel room.

I am normally a Marriott guy (Plat. Prem) but tried Starwood as there are no Marriotts and they have the restaurant. I like Marriott because I know what I get every hotel, and hoped Starwood would be the same, but I guess not. I love W and Westin, but I assume that a minimum standard would be applied to all properties to prevent this type of occurence.

http://www.readingeagle.com/re/lead/brawl.asp

If I were you I'd go across the street to the Hampton. Sure, its not the Sheraton but it is a beautiful hotel. I've stayed there many nights this year and look at the Sheraton as I pass and shake my head at the looks of the place. I can't believe they even call it a Sheraton. What a disgrace! Pick up something to eat on the way and enjoy it at the Hampton. I've always had luck with an upgrade there and the breakfast is one of the best.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:48 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
As has been said countless times before.....PA has two major cities on its sides and Alabama in between......

As a one time resident of Central PA, I can attest that these medium sized hotels can often be the biggest attraction in town and, yes, the hotel bars can get out of hand -- even on a Tuesday night!!

If, as the OP claims, this hotel bar gets a little too wild a little too often, then shame on the Sheraton for not beefing up security. This is one area where Marriott is hands down a better operator than *wood. Marriott simply requires it of ALL full service properties and it is often exceptionally well executed. My observation with Sheratons is a very loose security program at the local level.

I would recommend that you draft a letter to *wood corporate about your perceived lack of security at this property.
Old Dec 30, 2005, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 1k, US ex-CP, NW silver, Marriott plat, SPG gold, Hertz 5*
Sorry I wouldn't want to wish 80 nights in Reading on anyone. There is a nice (on the outside at least) Wyndham downtown now, but that area can be pretty sketchy. I would go with the others who say stay at the Hampton and just order/drive to get food.

[QUOTE=icfleming]I have been unfortuante enough to have to stay at this property for 80+ nights this year. Up until last night, I stayed here because it is the only hotel from a major chain that had a restaurant and room service. While the food wasn't great and the service poor, I had no other option.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 8:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Sheraton Reading PA

How is the Sheraton Reading Hotel in Reading PA? How were you treated as a SPG. It doesn't look too bad and the location seems like a good starting point to explore and visit PA.
Thank You.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
How is the Sheraton Reading Hotel in Reading PA? How were you treated as a SPG. It doesn't look too bad and the location seems like a good starting point to explore and visit PA.
Thank You.
I've stayed there few times... for business. Maybe 10 to 12 times in all. The employees all seem very friendly. The place is very clean.

I'm platinum, always had the cheapest reservation, but have been upgraded to club floor in the tower all but once. The one time was the week of July 4th and the place was over-run with families, so the lack of an upgrade was completely understandable.

I'd recommend it without hesitation.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by dujvari
I've stayed there few times... for business. Maybe 10 to 12 times in all. The employees all seem very friendly. The place is very clean.

I'm platinum, always had the cheapest reservation, but have been upgraded to club floor in the tower all but once. The one time was the week of July 4th and the place was over-run with families, so the lack of an upgrade was completely understandable.

I'd recommend it without hesitation.
Is there regular rooms in the tower section? I don't want to stay in a "wing" section. I doubt that I will be given an upgrade as a gold member. I've seen on some travel sites that the hotel is clean but worn-out (furniture, carpet, etc...) Did you notice that? I would be there for 4-5 days on Starpoints, I'm not expecting the St-Regis, but I still want a nice stay.
Old Mar 9, 2006, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by NBSPGMEMBER
Is there regular rooms in the tower section? I don't want to stay in a "wing" section. I doubt that I will be given an upgrade as a gold member. I've seen on some travel sites that the hotel is clean but worn-out (furniture, carpet, etc...) Did you notice that? I would be there for 4-5 days on Starpoints, I'm not expecting the St-Regis, but I still want a nice stay.
Yes, the hotel is a bit worn, but very clean. I don't want to make too much of an issue about the wear and tear. IMHO, it would not be worth mentioning if you hadn't asked.

Regular rooms in the tower? Yes, but they are still better than the wings. The wing rooms remind me of a 1970's motel... updated and clean, but still the basic flow and layout is of a 1970's motel. The tower is more traditional Sheraton.

It's been my experience that upgrades are sometimes not automatically offered when traveling on points. Remember to ask for your upgrade benefit before they check you in. IIRC, Sheration Reading only has three grade levels; wings, tower and club floor. You should be able to at least get in the tower... unless your going during tourist season.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:25 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Sheraton Reading leaving Starwood Dec 31,2008

Few may care about this Cat2 property in Reading, PA, but at least some hotels give lots of advance warning. Personally, I still wouldn't book a room here for the Christmas holidays.

"The Sheraton Reading Hotel will be leaving the Starwood system on December 31, 2008. Reservations for dates on or after December 31, 2008 will not be eligible for Starwood Preferred Guest membership benefits, award redemption or accrual."
Old Sep 23, 2008, 5:10 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
Question Any recent stays?

This hotel is leaving *Wood at the end of the year. I need a stay in October - should I be concerned about condition? Posts below indicate that in '06 hotel was older....anyone stay recently?
Old Sep 23, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I am doing a mattress run in PA this week (6 days, 6 stays, 6 BRGs). I just checked out of Sheraton Reading this morning and will check in again tomorrow night.

The hotel itself is fine and clean. Upgraded to a deluxe room as a Plat. The staff are nice and there is a club lounge that is open Monday through Friday from 5:30 to 8:30 PM for evening hors d'oeuvres and 6:30 - 9:30 AM for breakfast.

I've had a few stay here and always get a BRG for 2000 SPG points (see Expedia to compare). ^

Last edited by BlindPilot; Sep 23, 2008 at 7:00 am
Old Sep 23, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I needed two rooms, so THANKS X 2!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.