Wiki Posts
Search

CO introduces new BusinessFirst seat

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2008, 2:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
CO introduces new BusinessFirst seat

The new BusinessFirst seat is featured in the August 2008 Continental magazine. The August issue is available in the EWR PC.

The seat looks the same as the new Delta BusinessElite seat - layflat, staggered arrangement with feet under armrest of row in front. The new product is to be available starting in late 2009.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 3:15 am

August Magazine is live online now

See:

http://magazine.continental.com/2008...ion-lap-luxury

also Larry's comments...

http://magazine.continental.com/2008...tinentals-view
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Thanks for the links!

1. Not surprising they choose this one, similar to DL's. This is simply the best design out there now for CO's needs, as it's the flat bed that takes up the least room and don't require seats that face backwards. In fact, they take up less room then the current BF seats in the 767/777, so you may see more than 50 seats in a 772, for example.

Edit: I see in the picture that the two side-by-side seats are slightly staggered. That should give it more shoulder room, if not width, than the DL design.

2. Larry says beginning later next year. That may mean starting on the two new 772 to be delivered then, if I read it correctly. Great that they won't be waiting for the 787.

3. I still can't see how it'll be configured on the 752. Perhaps, a 2-1 seating? 5 rows of 3 seats each, for just one fewer seat than then current BF cabin? That single side will simply be awesome for single traveler.

Last edited by rkkwan; Jul 23, 2008 at 5:21 am
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:48 am

Programs: UA-Silver; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Gold
It still looks like you have to climb over the aisle seat if you are in the window seat. For me this is the worst part of any biz seat when you are travelling alone.

Why wouldn't CO go with the herringbone layout that DL is using on their 777's.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:48 am

Deleted. Double posted.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by TMOTEE
It still looks like you have to climb over the aisle seat if you are in the window seat. For me this is the worst part of any biz seat when you are travelling alone.

Why wouldn't CO go with the herringbone layout that DL is using on their 777's.
Herringbone takes up too much space, and it also displeases a lot of people traveling together.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:24 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
This is very good news. In my opinion, today, CO offers an excellent BF product - except for the seat. I look forward to spending 100k or so miles in the new seat every year.

Glad to see it's a true lie-flat (parallel to the floor). I slide out of 180-degree seats that are angled, and have to keep a "bump" in the seat to really sleep.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:26 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
I think it's great that the new seat has finally been announced. It's long overdue. However, I don't get why CO is waiting so long to start installing them. Why not start the process now whenever there are enough of the seats to retrofit a plane that's being serviced, and start catching up to the other airlines that have started doing so? Perhaps because CO's fleet size is so small that the extra time it would take doesn't allow for it?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:30 am

I think we can all be relieved that the seat will be "state-of-the-art." Otherwise looks like a good commonsense solution that keeps the seat width premium.

"The concept for this unique seat came about two years ago, when the Continental team was working with Boeing on the design of the new 787 Dreamliner aircraft. It was decided that the plane would feature a state-of-the-art seat that would redefine what it means to fly comfortably."
Old Jul 23, 2008, 6:41 am

Splendid.. But late 2009? How long will the roll out take?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Herringbone takes up too much space, and it also displeases a lot of people traveling together.
True but I would guess that the majority of people are solor travelers in BF (I may be wrong). Even when flying with someone I prefer the herringbone seats like DL or VS. The feel of almost total enclosure is so much better than being right next to someone even with a divider.

But I am very happy that CO has decided to go completely flat. That alone is worth any other deficiencies in the layout of the seats.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:18 am

Programs: Priority Pass, DL SM, UA G, VA GM, SPG GM, HHonors GM, Marriott PM
I wish they would be speeding this up. A date goal like 2010 is a bit far off.
To bad they won't be doing mini suites..
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:20 am

Programs: United 1K, SPG Gold, National Exec
No mention of installing them on the 767-400s.. which I guess implies that those won't remain in the fleet long term.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Sweet! I can't wait for these lie-flats to hit the fleet. ^
Old Jul 23, 2008, 7:25 am

Originally Posted by vsop
I wish they would be speeding this up. A date goal like 2010 is a bit far off.
To bad they won't be doing mini suites..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.