Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page >

Ever had your written restaurant tip involuntarily increased?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K (3.52MM BIS miles) AA EXP (3.64MM)

This has happened to me twice in the last month...and almost never before that.
I suspect you know the drill:
Get the bill, review the charges, give them my card, the card & unsigned slips return, I write in the tip (and also write it on my copy for reconciliation), and leave...

Then I find on my statement that the charge is higher...tried to think if my handwriting was poor or they typed it in correctly or (more cynically) is this a cute way of getting more in tips?
In each case I wasn't "punitively" under-tipping...and the amounts were small enough so that the time lost in pursuing them (less than $2 each time) was too much.

So does this happen with any frequency to the FT community?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by CVO 1K 2 Million
This has happened to me twice in the last month...and almost never before that.
I suspect you know the drill:
Get the bill, review the charges, give them my card, the card & unsigned slips return, I write in the tip (and also write it on my copy for reconciliation), and leave...

Then I find on my statement that the charge is higher...tried to think if my handwriting was poor or they typed it in correctly or (more cynically) is this a cute way of getting more in tips?
In each case I wasn't "punitively" under-tipping...and the amounts were small enough so that the time lost in pursuing them (less than $2 each time) was too much.

So does this happen with any frequency to the FT community?
This happened a couple times with a coworker after he ordered room service. He specifically put a line through the absurd "extra tip" line (you know, extra tip above the already-absurd 20% they include automatically in addition to the $2 "service charge". yeah, that extra tip line). The waitress added her own amount to that line. He caught it when reviewing his bill at checkout time. She was terminated immediately. Good riddance.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:08 am

I find that at some restaraunts, they automatically charge 10% or something like that as gratuity but also have a spot on the chit to add in your own tip.

But if that is not the case, no I have never experienced getting charged over what I paid and signed for.

5SP
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:16 am

Haven't had an involuntarily increase in a written tip yet, but in a restaurant in MEX airport, they had a credit card terminal wherein the transaction could not be finished without putting in a tip (choice of 5%, 10% etc)
Old Jul 26, 2008, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Dining Buzz Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 26, 2008, 12:25 pm

Programs: DL SM Diamond, AA Ex. Platinum, Ph.D in STFU
You'll notice as the economy gets worse and people eat out less, that this will happen a lot more often. Its sad, but as I always told my employees, is that extra $2 worth your job? If not don't do it! We terminate on the spot for this type of thing, as well as refer the case to the police as this is credit card fraud!
Old Jul 26, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by Big_Dutch
You'll notice as the economy gets worse and people eat out less, that this will happen a lot more often. Its sad, but as I always told my employees, is that extra $2 worth your job? If not don't do it! We terminate on the spot for this type of thing, as well as refer the case to the police as this is credit card fraud!
Its a good thing you do this, as the card companies (particularly Amex) tend to be pretty aggressive about tracking down patterns of fraudulent activity. If such a thing were to occur multiple times from the same location, that location could find itself in a heap of trouble in short order.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
There's a local family run Italian restaurant that permits you to add the tip to the check when paying with a credit or debit card, but they hand you the tip in cash and ask you to leave it for the server. I'm not sure how this works, but I imagine the servers prefer it and since you're paying the owner, I'd be shocked to see a higher amount on my CC bill.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 7:42 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Maybe this would help others in the future...

http://www.punny.org/money/fight-thi...checksum-tips/
Old Jul 27, 2008, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I once has a $2 tip added to a $10 take-out order that I picked up. After that, I learned to draw the line through the tip space when not tipping ot tipping in cash. As for the take-out place, the food is pretty good, so I have been back, but now I always pay cash
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:18 am

Had it happen at a Ruby Tuesday's in Rossyln one time. Waitress put a couple extra dollars on the receipt. One call to Amex Platinum and the bill was reduced back to what it should of been with no documentation or hassle. In retrospect, Amex probably just ate it.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:30 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
I am quite sure that if a situation like this happens then you can go directly to the credit card company and not have to deal with the merchant in good faith first.

This is a forgery, not a dispute over the quality of goods or services.

Travel tips: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

Last edited by AllanJ; Jul 27, 2008 at 10:11 am
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:40 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Once at a Hooters in St. Pete FL (regretfully) our waitress was screwing up a lunch for 2 by forgetting things and being incredibly slow even though the place was empty. When the bill came for about $20, she said to include some extra amount on the tip line for a side that never came or came out late but "wasn't on the receipt". I think it might have even been just a no charge substitution of this for that, like coleslaw instead of french fries.

At this point I had more than enough of this nonsense, didn't want to be part of any "fraud" she might have been pulling and left a $5 tip for a total of $25 just to be done with this unpleasant meal. When I received the downloaded charges a few days later, it was for a flat $40!

I immediately disputed it with American Express, sent in my carbon receipt for the $20 and got the other $20 back without further ado.

Last edited by joshua362; Jul 27, 2008 at 10:17 am
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I have had Amex correct my addition. Yes, sometimes I'm too clever by half to get a whole number or multiple of $10, and make an error.

I'm more likely to complain to a manager about bad service than leave a punitive tip. I'll also speak to the manager about kitchen issues rather than taking it out on the server.

Any attempt by the server or restaurant to write in a larger amount is simply fraud and I would report it without hesitation.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jul 27, 2008 at 3:07 pm
Old Jul 27, 2008, 9:57 am

Location: Cleveland, Ohio. I answer any question about Cleveland
Programs: I'm nobody
Seems to happen in Fla. alot

They tell me it's the credit card fraud capital of the country.

Happened to me at Rusty Pelican at Key Biscayne. Someone there changed my tip amount. The only way I caught it was because the CC I used was actually a debit card and I review my bank account regularly.

Had it been a credit card I would have long forgotten what tip amount I left.

When I called the manager changed it back without question. I guess he is used to this happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.