Vegas Police: Jerry Lewis Cited for Gun in Carry-on Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2008, 5:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Vegas Police: Jerry Lewis Cited for Gun in Carry-on Luggage

LAS VEGAS - Police say they have confiscated a gun belonging to Jerry Lewis that was found in the 82-year-old entertainer's carryon bag as he prepared to fly to Detroit from Las Vegas.
Lewis' manager, Claudia Marghilano, says the handgun is a hollowed-out prop gun that Lewis sometimes twirls during his show. She tells The Associated Press that the gun couldn't fire.

Marghilano says Lewis didn't know the gun was in the bag along with other props.

Cassell says if the gun were merely a prop "it wouldn't be a weapon and we couldn't cite him for carrying a weapon."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080729/..._concealed_gun
Old Jul 29, 2008, 6:20 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
but is a prop gun a weapon or a toy? (and according to the tsa, toy weapons are allowed in carry on luggage "if not realistic replicas".)
Old Jul 30, 2008, 1:01 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
but is a prop gun a weapon or a toy? (and according to the tsa, toy weapons are allowed in carry on luggage "if not realistic replicas".)
With the TSA, you get consistent inconsistency befitting of Kip Hawley of "Kip Hawley Is An Idiot" fame. While it may or may not be relevant to the Jerry Lewis incident, the item you raise is interesting: toys are allowed by the TSA unless they are not allowed by the TSA for looking like "realistic replicas" of "weapons".

So according to the TSA, toys are banned by the TSA if they are toys they consider "realistic replicas" of weapons. How do they define "realistic replicas"? If it's colored neon pink or neon green, is it then a non-"realistic replica"? Or is this based on some kind of visual "it looks real to me"/"it looks like a toy to me" "judgment" call that provides a window for TSA's consistent inconsistency approach to be applied?

This leaves me wondering if Jerry Lewis has flown with this thing in carry-on luggage before and done so without issue or not -- especially as consistent inconsistency and failure to properly detect are endemic issues with the TSA.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
This made the end of the national news here, too (in addition to the Qantas story on officially blaming an exploding oxygen cylinder for MNL).
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:57 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by GUWonder
With the TSA, you get consistent inconsistency befitting of Kip Hawley of "Kip Hawley Is An Idiot" fame. While it may or may not be relevant to the Jerry Lewis incident, the item you raise is interesting: toys are allowed by the TSA unless they are not allowed by the TSA for looking like "realistic replicas" of "weapons".

So according to the TSA, toys are banned by the TSA if they are toys they consider "realistic replicas" of weapons. How do they define "realistic replicas"? If it's colored neon pink or neon green, is it then a non-"realistic replica"? Or is this based on some kind of visual "it looks real to me"/"it looks like a toy to me" "judgment" call that provides a window for TSA's consistent inconsistency approach to be applied?

This leaves me wondering if Jerry Lewis has flown with this thing in carry-on luggage before and done so without issue or not -- especially as consistent inconsistency and failure to properly detect are endemic issues with the TSA.
emphasis mine: shame on you-don't you know that's ssi (aka you're gonna take my decision like it or not or you don't fly today)
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:18 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
emphasis mine: shame on you-don't you know that's ssi (aka you're gonna take my decision like it or not or you don't fly today)
In the case of toys/props, not only does it require taking the government at its word, it may involve taking the government at its fickle word and being potentially subjected to penalty while at it.

In the absence of prior, public announcement from the government elaborating precisely upon what is prohibited, we're all subject to penalty without having a chance to know -- in advance and for certain -- whether or not something is prohibited.

Why be critical? Who needs transparent, precise, rules-based government, when a coin-flipped during "behind-closed-doors deliberation" can be just as or even more consistent than the TSA!
Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:55 am

"Lewis, 82, had a small .22-caliber handgun when he arrived at the security screening area..."

"The weapon was registered to Lewis and he will need to attend a court hearing to get it back..."

FULL STORY

I've met Jerry before and respect him greatly, but he was carrying a real, registered .22 pistol through security. The fact that it lacked a firing mechanism is a moot point.

I'm sure he'll get off with a warning due to his celebrity and age, but he really should have known better.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by macabus
I'm sure he'll get off with a warning due to his celebrity and age, but he really should have known better.
In light of the circumstances, I agree.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:49 pm

"Go ahead, help my kids" -- Dirty Jerry.

Sorry, couldn't help it.

PS - Support MDA!
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Charges dismissed

LAS VEGAS - A Las Vegas judge has dismissed a firearms charge against entertainer Jerry Lewis. Las Vegas Justice Court Judge Karen Bennett-Haron dismissed the case Friday after attorneys agreed to let the 82-year-old comedian off without fines.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080920/...le_jerry_lewis

It's a given that he'll get the TSA civil fine notice in the mail, probably for thousands of dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.