Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else prefer to sit in the back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:04 am
Original Poster

My DH actually prefers to sit towards to rear of the plane. He's CO gold, almost platinum, so he has his choice of premium seats. I think it's weird, I'd rather board later, deplane sooner, but he has, ehem, bathroom issues. He usually has to get up at least twice and would prefer to be nearer the bathroom. I book his tix, he flies 3-4 X/month, and I check him in online. I typically try to get him aisle, unoccupied middle or otherwise vacant row (he's a big guy), and I had been going towards the front of the plane, and referencing seatguru.com. But, he's told me unless he gets upgraded to 1st, he'd rather be towards the rear (but not in the last row or two if those are red on seatguru).

Anyone else prefer to sit in the back? Are your reasons similar to Mr. rsnash, or are there any other reasons?
Old Aug 4, 2008, 8:21 am

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
It's not worth the premium to fly up front domestically. The first class seats are not lie-flat, the food service isn't comprehensive as international flights, and finally the flights are short. Hence, the fatigue factor is about the same as flying in Y.

Thus, I'd rather fly LCC's like WN, B6, or VX, be treated well, and save some money. (Of course, if the price differential between Y and F were much smaller, I'd just fly F.)

International trips > 5 hours are a different issue.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:20 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I'm a window fiend and the wings are my enemies. If I can't sit in front of the wings, I'd rather go very near the back to avoid wing-obscured views or heat haze from the engines. The back riow is good for avoiding seat kickers and child noise - children's mouth's usually (but not always) point forwards.

Also, on a recent BA 747 flight with a friend, we specifically wanted the back three rows as they have pair seats at the windows.

Obviously, I'd usually rather fly in a higher class of cabin if the opportunity arose.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:44 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If the flight is half empty (which doesn't happen that often) and the back of the plane is deserted I may move to a row where I can have it all to myself, pop up the armrests, stretch out my legs, etc if I'm on my way to my final destination.

If I'm making a connection I prefer to get off quicker, the extra 10 or 15 minutes get off the back of the plane can make a huge difference.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 9:49 am

I always prefer to sit at the back. I always have checked baggage so there's no point in getting off the plane any earlier, just means a longer wait for the bags.

I'm always by myself so I try to get a window seat in the second-last or third-last row ideally where the aisle seat is already taken. The last unlucky few without seat assignments at check-in will be assigned seats starting at the front (wouldn't you rather have 14B rather than 27B given a choice?). If there is an empty seat on the plane I will frequently be the one sitting next to it.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:03 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
It depends. If I just have carry-on, I prefer to be near the front so I can be one of the first to exit. If I have checked bags, it doesn't really matter because the last person off the plane almost always beats the first piece of luggage to the baggage claim area. The back of the plane is usually less crowded, so it's more likely that you'll have an empty seat next to you (or sometimes even a whole empty row). I just don't like being in the very back row, if those seats don't recline.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
A person used to have a pretty good chance to get a whole empty row in the rear, and that was one reason to sit there. But with planes getting ever more full, I think it's becoming less common to have extra seats.

If I am in Y, my preference is to sit as far forward as possible. This is most critical, of course, if I have a close connection. But even if I don't, I'd much rather get into the airport lounge than stand in the plane aisle any more than I have to....
Old Aug 4, 2008, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I used to love the back of the plane when smoking was allowed there.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
It's not worth the premium to fly up front domestically. The first class seats are not lie-flat, the food service isn't comprehensive as international flights, and finally the flights are short. Hence, the fatigue factor is about the same as flying in Y.

Thus, I'd rather fly LCC's like WN, B6, or VX, be treated well, and save some money. (Of course, if the price differential between Y and F were much smaller, I'd just fly F.)

International trips > 5 hours are a different issue.
I think the OP had something different in mind when using the term "in back".
You are talking about F vs Y, but the OP literally meant the back of the plane.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
I only choose the back on an ATR72 because it is closer to the door. Otherwise, I select an exit row seat and hope for an upgrade
Old Aug 4, 2008, 1:32 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
Originally Posted by rsnash
My DH actually prefers to sit towards to rear of the plane. He's CO gold, almost platinum, so he has his choice of premium seats. I think it's weird, I'd rather board later, deplane sooner, but he has, ehem, bathroom issues. He usually has to get up at least twice and would prefer to be nearer the bathroom. I book his tix, he flies 3-4 X/month, and I check him in online. I typically try to get him aisle, unoccupied middle or otherwise vacant row (he's a big guy), and I had been going towards the front of the plane, and referencing seatguru.com. But, he's told me unless he gets upgraded to 1st, he'd rather be towards the rear (but not in the last row or two if those are red on seatguru).

Anyone else prefer to sit in the back? Are your reasons similar to Mr. rsnash, or are there any other reasons?
Back the LA Lakers "Prime Time" Days when Magic Johnson was the star, there supposedly was a rule that Jerry Buss and Magic and the stars sat in the back of the plane and the lesser players sat in the front. Why? According to Dr. Buss - "he had never heard of an airplane backing into a mountain"
Old Aug 4, 2008, 1:35 pm
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
Originally Posted by DLFan2
...something different in mind when using the term "in back"...
I would say something to this, but then I remembered this isn't the BA Forum

I usually prefer to sit near the front of Y, but sufficiently away from the bulkhead so that I'm not too close to small children. This is primarily because I usually travel with cabin bags only, and like to get off the plane as soon as I can
Old Aug 4, 2008, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by MarqFlyer
A person used to have a pretty good chance to get a whole empty row in the rear, and that was one reason to sit there. But with planes getting ever more full, I think it's becoming less common to have extra seats.
Yes, it is the middle seats at the back that go last... but these days planes are so full anyway I don't use that strategy to sit there any more.

I do frequent potty breaks too, but like the excuse to walk in the aisle a bit and let my blood circulate to my legs.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:48 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
It depends. On smaller planes (think Dash-8), I'd prefer to sit in the back than get myself weight-and-balanced from the front to "anywhere past row 4".
Old Aug 4, 2008, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL
I like sitting towards the rear of my cabin, whether coach or first. I like to people-watch during boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.