Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

WN Visa promo: 2 Bonus RR Credits for BS fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Just got this via email, it appears to be targeted:

Here’s how it works:

Book Southwest’s new Business Select™ fare and travel by August 28, 2008.

Pay with your Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Visa card.

Southwest will deposit 2 credits into your account for each Business Select fare purchased and flown.

*OFFER TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
Cardmembers who book a Business Select fare and travel by August 28, 2008, will be eligible to earn 2 Rapid Rewards bonus credits. The bonus is on top of the standard credits earned through Rapid Rewards for Business Select fares. Not all cardmembers are eligible for this offer. Only the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Visa Signature and Business cardmembers who received this quarterly exclusive offer are eligible for the bonus. The offer is non-transferrable. Members who purchase and travel on multiple Business Select fares are eligible to receive 2 Rapid Rewards bonus credits for each one-way fare purchased and flown before August 28, 2008. Business Select fares are fully refundable. Seats are limited and may not be available on every flight. All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply. Offer made by Southwest Airlines. Chase Bank, N.A. is not an affiliate of Southwest Airlines and is not responsible for offer fulfillment.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Translation is 8 drinks, 8 preferred boardings, and one additional RR ticket plus four award drink coupons for $160 (if one's doing last minute business flights) - that's not a bad promotion at all.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 9:08 pm

Is this right?

Let's assume $600 round trip for BS for easy math. Does this mean:

2 long flights on BS = 4 points normal credit
SW Visa double dollars for purchasing SW tickets ($1200) = 1 point
Bonus points in this promotion: 4 points
Old Aug 9, 2008, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Cluemeister: Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you will receive a grand total of 9 RR credits for these two one-way "long flights" - i.e. flights of 750 miles or more:

One way #1: 1 normal credit + 1 BS credit + 2 Visa promo bonus credits = 4 credits
One way #2: same as above = 4 more credits
$600 WN Visa spend doubled to $1200 = 1 credit

Last edited by yanxfann; Aug 9, 2008 at 11:56 pm
Old Aug 10, 2008, 7:08 am

That's exactly how I read it, 4 + 1 + 4.

Throw in triple credit on a car rental, and the Holiday Inn Priority club .5 bonus for second night stay, you could be looking at 4 + 1 + 4 + 1.5 + 1 = 11.5 points for one round trip BS flight over 750 miles, two night hotel stay at a place like a HI Express, and a two day car rental from one of the companies offering triple credit.

Now the question is: How do us regular RR/SW Visa holders get this offer? I'm about to book a flight to TN, and I was going to book a different airline.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
So what's the cheapest/highest return BS fare in WN's system? Any way to make a "credit run?"

I found one out of MDW for about $107 one-way, but I only halfheartedly looked for a couple minutes.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks

I found one out of MDW for about $107 one-way, but I only halfheartedly looked for a couple minutes.
Was that $107 flight for less than or more than 750 miles?
Old Aug 11, 2008, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
BNA-BHM is $101 each way ($110 ai) for a sub-750 flight. For travel less than two weeks in advance (the promotion expires this month), the BS fare is $20 more than the "Wanna Get Away" and just $10 more than "Anytime" fares.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yanxfann
Was that $107 flight for less than or more than 750 miles?
Less than, unfortunately.

MDW-IND, $235 RT all-in, Aug. 24, wide open.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:42 pm

I wish I knew the target group for this promo. I've flown BS twice last year, regular fares about 6 times, and have a WN Visa that I use regularly. If I'm not targeted, who the heck is?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 4:10 pm

Crap

So I hold out as long as possible, and booked on US Airways last night. So what shows up in the mail today? The BS 2 point promo.

US Airways has a $150 change fee, so I have to add that into my financial mix.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 4:23 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Got mine today, for only 2 of the 3 SW cards me and the mrs. own. Both of these are maxed out with 0% credit card advances while the one card I routinely book with didn't get one. Go figure...
Old Aug 18, 2008, 6:09 am

Staying with US Airways. I wish this had been an email promo and it had arrived sooner, as I would have booked Southwest.

Just not worth it to lose $150 with US Airways for the points.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 9:54 pm

Programs: 189 miles short of AS MVP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
What is the effective date? They indicate purchases traveled before 8/28/08 but when does it start? August 1st? Inquiring minds want to know...
Old Aug 22, 2008, 4:23 pm

SW does not know anything about this promo. I have lots of flights on BS in August, the nice color mailer on the promo, but the standard 1.25 credits per flight. Looks like this might be a hoax!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.