Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Westin Orlando Universal Boulevard Orlando [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Westin Orlando Universal Boulevard Orlando [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2008, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLAt, NWA PLat
Arrow The Westin Orlando Universal Boulevard Orlando [Master Thread]

So I just spent 2 nights at the new Westin Imagine. I'll give it a 7 out of 10. First the biggest problem I had was the valet only policy. First the fee is $16 a day, and there is no choice, its like a cover charge at a club or something. I've been racking my brain to think of any other hotel forcing you to valet that is not a down town city location. The next thing, they upgraded me to a suite, which is good, but I needed 2 beds. So they downgraded me to a regular "deluxe" room with a pool view instead of the 2 bedroom suite which has 2 beds because it against their policy for upgrades to use the 2 bedroom suite. I then asked the occupancy rate, I was told about 14%. Ok….

the rooms were clean as to be expected for a hotel open only 4 months. I only had 1 issue with the room. The balcony was huge (like 10 x 10), but had no furniture. The suites had furniture though, and from my view had smaller balconies.

The staff was great however, Brittney and Janelle were great to deal with. They did end up waving the valet fee for me after a bit of complaining. just for the record, I only complained because its B.S. for it be ONLY valet, and I did reward them with cake from the cheesecake factory for an apology for being difficult. In fact the only business I could think of like that is a topless bar. I'm sure someone on this site will correct me though. Anyway, the location was awesome, close to the convention center and all the good restraints and shopping, plus Disney, universal and wet-n-wild water park
Old Aug 9, 2008, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
They charge the valet fee even if you park your car elsewhere or don't even have a car??
Old Aug 9, 2008, 10:34 pm

car guy,
I am sorry your stay did not meet your expectations. I would like to understand this valet issue. Was it that there was no self parking? or was it a mandatory fee even if you did not have a car. If there was no self parking, I am sorry you were not informed when you booked but as you mention they did take it off.
Also, the next issue with the upgrade is a hard one. As SPG Platinum, they upgrade to select standard suites which are mainly one-bedroom suites. Now since you did want 2 beds, they did have to put you in the room you booked. Seeing that you booked two beds, they should have never put you in the one bedroom suite. I dont know if this hotel has deluxe rooms with better views or on higher floors, but you should have been placed in the nicest room with 2 beds. If you do not feel you were upgraded properly feel free to contact hotel customer service at 1-800-328-6242 or send them an email at [email protected]. I am glad you liked the location and hope you have pleasant travels in the future

W Scottsdale Inisder
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG PLAt, NWA PLat
sorry for the delay in my response. There would be no charge if you didnt have a car, but there is NO self park option available. I asked if I could park in the large dirt lot next to the hotel and valet told me they would still charge me 16 bucks a night. Its just silly if you ask me. I am going back to that hotel in october and hope I still get that upgrade to the 1 bedroom suite as I only need one bed. I have a feeling the policy may change on the valet by then, or at least i hope so.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Any pictures?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by car_guy1
sorry for the delay in my response. There would be no charge if you didnt have a car, but there is NO self park option available. I asked if I could park in the large dirt lot next to the hotel and valet told me they would still charge me 16 bucks a night. Its just silly if you ask me. I am going back to that hotel in october and hope I still get that upgrade to the 1 bedroom suite as I only need one bed. I have a feeling the policy may change on the valet by then, or at least i hope so.
I still don't understand this - they cannot charge you for parking the car yourself if you elect to park off hotel property. You can park on the street, in a public lot, or in someone's driveway - it doesn't matter. If you're not parking on their property, they cannot charge you. Period.
Old Sep 23, 2008, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Is this property a new build or a renovated reflagged property?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 2:51 am
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
I stayed there back in June for a conference. Locatiion is great if you are going to be at the convention center since its across the street. I parked my car in the parking garage, only to be chased down by a man in a golf cart who informed me that it was valet only and i had to pay $16 / day. ridiculous, but i was on a business trip so i didnt really care.

the hotel is nice...its 1/2 condos that people own and starwood rents out and splits profits with owners. I was upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite as a plat and received 2-for-1 coupons for the restaurant. the pool was also nice to swim in at night and when it came time to close the security guard let us stay as long as we were quiet.

very happy with the hotel and would definitely stay there again, although the $16 for parking is pretty insane given the location and the fact that there is a proper parking garage at the hotel so there is definitely no need for forced valet parking
Old Sep 24, 2008, 2:52 am
formerly leemaj

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium and LTP, Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold, SW Companion Pass
Originally Posted by belynch
Is this property a new build or a renovated reflagged property?
brand new. was supposed to be part of a shopping center but from what i heard that part never got built so its kind of sitting there on its own
Old Oct 23, 2008, 3:20 pm

I recently stayed here and the valet only policy is really annoying. This is a hotel where you need a car to do anything else and having to wait for it to be brought around is a real pain. Not to mention the cost.

I also did not care for the restaurant. I tried the calamari and a pizza during my stay. The calamari was OK but the pizza was horrible. How do you mess up pizza? I guess you usually do not find great restaurants at hotels like this so I am not that surprised. There was a tropical storm at the time so I did not have a choice.

On the positive side the staff was really nice and I also liked the room. The bar also had some good drinks.

I would stay there again if not for the valet issue.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 11:01 pm

FYI on the hotel's location...

Have stayed here now three times since July. For those that are familiar with the area, the hotel is on the deserted area opposite the rear entrance to the NORTH concourse of the Orange County Conv Center. If you are attending an event at the more popular SOUTH Concourse, it is over a mile walk w/o a real hope for a cab due to the Westin's isolated location.

If you have a car this is a non-issue (except for the ridiculous valet issue as mentioned above) but if you do not have a car and are attending an event at the South Concourse, staying at the connected Omni Rosen or Peabody save a TON of aggravation...although that wont get you any Starpoints...

Overall - loved the full suite with kitchen offered as a Platimun upgraded room. Becuase the property is over 50% timeshare designed units, this is a GREAT option for a suite for me - which is why I keep coming back.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, DL - Silver, Hertz gold, Starwood-Plat, Hilton-Silver, Hyatt-Plat
Just completed a stay here. The room was a typical Westin. Staff is great and enjoyed the spacious room and the Westin Workout room was fine. The only pet peeve is the mandatory valet. Unless I was attending a conference at the convention center I would not stay at this hotel since its just a little out of the way and the $16 fee is annoying
Old Dec 1, 2008, 5:49 am

Programs: Hilton Plat, Marriott Gold, RR A-list, National Exec
Originally Posted by folashade
Just completed a stay here. The room was a typical Westin. Staff is great and enjoyed the spacious room and the Westin Workout room was fine. The only pet peeve is the mandatory valet. Unless I was attending a conference at the convention center I would not stay at this hotel since its just a little out of the way and the $16 fee is annoying
The fam and I are doing a two night stay currently. Given how "tourist trap-y" the rest of the hotels around Orlando can be, we are enjoying being a bit removed from the chaos.

EVERY member of the staff here has been wonderful. Yes, I would say the restaurant food is very average. But you're only a block or two from every dining option you could want, all the way from McDonald's to Capital Grille.

We had originally planned to stay in another Starwood property during this 2nd part of our trip, but after spending one night here, cancelled the other reservation and asked for two more days here.

I would highly reccomend this hotel.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by pdxjayhawk
The fam and I are doing a two night stay currently. Given how "tourist trap-y" the rest of the hotels around Orlando can be, we are enjoying being a bit removed from the chaos.

EVERY member of the staff here has been wonderful. Yes, I would say the restaurant food is very average. But you're only a block or two from every dining option you could want, all the way from McDonald's to Capital Grille.

We had originally planned to stay in another Starwood property during this 2nd part of our trip, but after spending one night here, cancelled the other reservation and asked for two more days here.

I would highly reccomend this hotel.
We are headed back to Orlando in April with our two young boys (4 1/2 and 3 at that point). We will mostly be doing the parks, but typically spend a half day at the hotel pool...is this a good option for us? Were you upgraded to a suite as a platinum as well?
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:03 pm

This proeprty was built as a condo-hotel by Intrawest who continues to manage it. It was supposed to be one piece within a much larger mixed-use Village of Imagine, but the Village part has been scrapped. A proper convention center hotel will probably get built on the site eventually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.