Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Virgin Atlantic Airways | Flying Club
Reload this Page >

Stuck in a middle seat as VS Gold, chances of being able to switch?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2008, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP

I'm going to London for training for work and while normal corporate travel policy dictates business class travel, this training has to be in cheapest nonrefundable fare (). Since my choices out of SFO were VS or UA, I decided to try VS since I have Gold through Amex and no status on UA. I know I'm not able to upgrade cause my fare is ultra-low economy, but as of now I'm stuck in a middle seat in row 63 ! Even with my gold number in the reservation, the agent said there's nothing they can do until the day of, and even then it's iffy because the flight is packed.

So I guess my question is whether or not Gold will do me any good on the day of departure to change seats? Also, I'm assuming that the elite members are higher in line for op-ups than regular folk? If so, I'm going to pray every night until my flight to hope for an upgrade . Worst comes to worst, I guess I'm going to have to get completely loaded (although not enough to not be able to fly) on free drinks in the Clubhouse.

As an aside, what's the drink limit onboard in economy? Is it like some American carriers where only one free drink with the meal, or is it freeflowing?
Old Aug 12, 2008, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi brosnan6,

I think only a certain number of seats are available for preallocation ( the rest are opened up at the airport or when OLCI opens.

I would OLCI as soon as possible ( T-24) and you should get more choice of seats ( if not get to SFO as soon as possible , Check in opens at 1230 I think).

VS may offer upgrades for sale from Y to PE at check in ( although as a Gold card holder you would be first in line for op ups)

The SFO clubhouse is excellent ( you can have lots of drinks , a three course meal ( better than a Y meal on board IMHO- I had a nice steak in the SFO clubhouse in Jan 08) and a shower if you want to.

You can ask for more drinks on board ( although they announce that they can refuse to serve you if you appear drunk ( fair IMHO).)

Also as a VS Gold holder you can acess the Revivals lounge at LHR.

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi brosnan6,

I think only a certain number of seats are available for preallocation ( the rest are opened up at the airport or when OLCI opens.

I would OLCI as soon as possible ( T-24) and you should get more choice of seats ( if not get to SFO as soon as possible , Check in opens at 1230 I think).
Excellent, so I might have a chance at getting out of the hell that is a 10 hour flight in a middle seat . I have a class that goes until 1200 that day so I'll probably be at the airport by 1300 for my 1630 flight.

VS may offer upgrades for sale from Y to PE at check in ( although as a Gold card holder you would be first in line for op ups)
Perfect, let's hope it's a reasonable price since I'll be paying out of pocket if I upgrade.
The SFO clubhouse is excellent ( you can have lots of drinks , a three course meal ( better than a Y meal on board IMHO- I had a nice steak in the SFO clubhouse in Jan 08) and a shower if you want to.
I'm excited for this part...I've heard great things about the Clubhouses. I hope I can get through security and checkin on time to make the most of my time in it.
You can ask for more drinks on board ( although they announce that they can refuse to serve you if you appear drunk ( fair IMHO).)

Also as a VS Gold holder you can acess the Revivals lounge at LHR.

Regards

TBS
Perfect again; looking forward to it.

Thank you much! I'll update here if I get upgraded or anything
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Actually one more question - Do I get priority bag handling as a VS Gold? I didn't see any mention of it on the website. Unfortunately I have to bring just enough on this trip that a carryon will not be feasible
Old Aug 13, 2008, 1:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, VS Gold, BD Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, IC RA, Hilton Diamond, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Actually one more question - Do I get priority bag handling as a VS Gold? I didn't see any mention of it on the website. Unfortunately I have to bring just enough on this trip that a carryon will not be feasible
Depends what you mean by "priority bag handling"?

Flying Club Gold Benefits:

Baggage bonus: You're allowed one extra piece of luggage on flights to and from the US, Caribbean, Nigeria and Nairobi in each class of travel*. And for all other flights, you're given an extra 20kg above standard baggage allowances in each class.

*To a maximum weight of 32kg when travelling in Upper Class or Premium Economy or a maximum weight of 23kg when travelling in Economy.

If the flight is packed as you say it is, I would think you will stand a very good chance of an op-up. Don't forget you can use the UC check in areas as well because you are Gold and have priority boarding and you may be able to persuade them to put priority tags on your bags if you ask nicely, if that's what you were referring to.

You will have an even better experience on the return journey at LHR as you can be fast tracked though Immigration & Security via the Private Security Channel accessible through Zone A and the Clubhouse there is one of the best lounges in the world IMHO.

Last edited by BA1A; Aug 13, 2008 at 1:19 am
Old Aug 13, 2008, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Excellent, so I might have a chance at getting out of the hell that is a 10 hour flight in a middle seat . I have a class that goes until 1200 that day so I'll probably be at the airport by 1300 for my 1630 flight.

Perfect, let's hope it's a reasonable price since I'll be paying out of pocket if I upgrade.

I'm excited for this part...I've heard great things about the Clubhouses. I hope I can get through security and checkin on time to make the most of my time in it.

Perfect again; looking forward to it.

Thank you much! I'll update here if I get upgraded or anything
Hi brosnan6,

The SFO CLubhouse is actually before security ( to the left of the A Gate security and close to the museum. There is a small hallway then take the elevator to level 5 and then turn right and the Clubhouse is on the left.

The clubhouse staff will make an announcement when it is time to head to the gate to board and security at that time is quite quiet ( less than 5mins or so).

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 13, 2008, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA1A
Depends what you mean by "priority bag handling"?

If the flight is packed as you say it is, I would think you will stand a very good chance of an op-up. Don't forget you can use the UC check in areas as well because you are Gold and have priority boarding and you may be able to persuade them to put priority tags on your bags if you ask nicely, if that's what you were referring to.

You will have an even better experience on the return journey at LHR as you can be fast tracked though Immigration & Security via the Private Security Channel accessible through Zone A and the Clubhouse there is one of the best lounges in the world IMHO.
Yeah, I meant the priority tags on my checked baggage. I only plan on having one bag and it won't be remotely close to needing the excess weight allowance.

Thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2008, 2:49 pm

Programs: VS Au, Skywards Au, BA Exec Ag, HH Diamond, Taj Au
You should get your bags tagged for priority - if not simply remind the check in agent.

On the issue of the seat, I am sorry to say that being Au has absolutely no benefit in this situation unless you can get to online check in right away on the 24hrs and change - even then, if others have preselected you'll be stuck. As a long standing and high status Au member this is one thing that repeatedy irks me with Virgin. They keep seats back for online check in and they should treat Au's beneficially, yet they don't - other airlines for example also allow top tiers to request exit row seats, Virgin doesn't do this - BUT you can pay for an exit row seat at check in instead (which kinda pisses me off too being a Gold FC member but there you go), so get there earlier and try.

While ranting - it is Au's and other frequent fliers who get caught in this trap, since we tend to book close to the flight itself. VS should really do something about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.