Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

FT Ph.D.s: Do you "Dr." in your FF profiles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2008, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold

In typical form for someone who's Piled Higher & Deeper, I'm probably overthinking this, but now you can do it with me.

A colleague of mine, who could be mistaken for being younger than he is, says he filled out his FF profile as "Dr. Colleague," reflecting his Ph.D. He didn't think anything of it at the time, but he says he believes he gets more respectful treatment for it.

I still look young enough, and travel casually dressed enough, that I sometimes get reactions and treatment aren't quite consistent with my airline or professional status (e.g., last Wednesday, an offer of a little help finding my seat when I turn left upon boarding a 757). In my FF profiles, I am "Mr. PVDProf." Should I switch to "Dr."? (Realizing that won't help snap judgments based on my appearance, but it might help in other areas....)

I have consciously remained "Mr." because I don't want to be asked to help in a medical emergency; I don't even want people wasting time asking me. (I am accepting that it's very unlikely that my specialized skills will be needed during an in-flight emergency: "Captain, there's a shortage of pillows on board and we need to design a revenue-maximizing auction to allocate them efficiently AND stave off bankruptcy. I'll see if there's an economist on board!")

Which way to you break on the "Dr." issue, and why?
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:26 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
a close family member is PhD and it definitely makes a difference. She looks young and travels on business by herself, so frequently (especially abroad) she's not taken as seriously as an older man (in asia, she was repeatedly asked if she was someone's secretary). i've traveled with her and have seen myself that the initial dismissal is changed as soon as they see Dr. in the file. the change of facial expressions is funny to watch. mostly happens in asia. another annoying thing is when she travels with her husband, he is usually addressed as Dr. when both of them come to the airline or hotel counter together (do they ignore the first name in the reservations?), but happens all the time.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:36 am

Programs: Qantas Gold, Marriot Silver, Sofitel, USAir, Delta,Meritus,Plat IC Ambassador
When I first got my Ph.D., I did throw the Dr. thing on quite a bit of things (so did my parents, naturally). I rarely use it unless professionally. If people are listed as Joe Schmoe M.D., then I expect to be listed as driscj Ph.D. In professional listings I prefer using the degree notations rather than the Dr. It gives you a better sense of ones educational background and experiences.

But before we get into the professional version of a coke versus pepsi debate, Ph.D. are most certainly correctly referred to as Dr.'s as they see fit. May help you with dinner reservations but calling yourself Dr. will certainly not help the next time you are negotiating a car price.

As I get older, I give less of a rat's a** about it. My work and reputation speak more about me to colleagues than the particular way I choose an honorific.

Whatever you do...never, *ever* do the cheesiest thing (seen on the news all the time) which is Dr. Joe Schmoe M.D.

It bugs me like 'RSVP Please' does.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:40 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Absolutely not. I find that people that require others to call them "Dr." usually are compensating for deficiencies in other areas. I remember talking with a fellow traveler on one of my flights about my degree, he asked how long it took me to complete my PhD. I told him five years and a 200 page dissertation. He said he bought his online for $2000 and his dissertation was 15 pages long about "his life experience". Unfortunately, his "university" was not accredited. That being said I have seen EdDs complete a weak 20 page group project and receive their doctorate at state universities.

Asia is filled with ESL "teachers" from the west that aren't capable of being hired anywhere else back home. I see many of them with BAs having their students call them "professor" or "Dr." even though the title has not been earned.

The only time I pull out the "Dr." is among fellow academics or for restaurant reservations. That's pretty much all it is good for
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:54 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Absolutely agree with GuyverII--I find people who sign their e-mails with

XXXX, Ph.D.

must have some inferiority complex. If you are at a respectable academic institution, everyone knows that you have a Ph.D. (or in a handful of cases such as Sandy Jencks at Harvard, you've outpublished almost everyone even without a Ph.D.).

But I don't use Dr. with my colleagues--we all go by first names. I have been tempted (and may have yielded to it, but I can't remember) to use Dr. when an MD calls me by my first name as in, "Ric, this is Dr. Jones."
Old Aug 21, 2008, 5:55 am

Because of a screw up on a credit card a while back, I've ended up being Dr Xxxxxx on TG ever since. I've told them countless times to change it to Mr., but to no avail.

And it's never got me an upgrade. I just know that when the phone rings and they ask for Dr. Xxxxxx, it's TG.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I feel that the use of the title Doctor by anyone other than an M.D. is pretentious and misleading, no matter how advanced your degree is.

When an airline pilot asks if there is a doctor on board, they are looking for a medical doctor, not someone with a doctorate in history, law, economics, chemistry, or physics.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have one of those things, in an engineering field. the only FF program that shows it is my M&M program. when i enlisted, there was a check box for education. i am listed as Mr. Dr. XXXXXXXX.

i never found the degree useful for any perks, in the americas or in europe.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 7:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
I like the European (or is it German only) version. If you're a PhD, you're Dr. prof. XXXX, If you're an MD, you're Dr. med. XXXX.

As for me, I've heard that you get treated better with a Dr. in front of your name (especially by other physicians), so I would put it once I get the degree (especially, since I look like young and sketchy... it'll be a nice reaction to look for).
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I feel that the use of the title Doctor by anyone other than an M.D. is pretentious and misleading, no matter how advanced your degree is.

When an airline pilot asks if there is a doctor on board, they are looking for a medical doctor, not someone with a doctorate in history, law, economics, chemistry, or physics.
No.

In my home country (Germany), the Dr. is part of my name. So no way to omit it. If you have the title, you may use it.
Same (and even more) in Austria. There even the Master equivalent "Dipl.-Ing. or Magister" are part of your name, and you are officially adressed in that way: "Herr Diplomingenieur XXX".

If it comes to an medical Emergency they either have the Medical Doctors registered (like LH), or they ask if somebody is on board. Depending of the country paramedics can be of a very good help for an emergency (better than a dentist...).

I use my title in business correspondence, but not private.

My Title is stored in my Airline Profile because it is part of my name. I never experienced any difference in the treatment.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:14 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by mlbcard
I like the European (or is it German only) version. If you're a PhD, you're Dr. prof. XXXX, If you're an MD, you're Dr. med. XXXX.

As for me, I've heard that you get treated better with a Dr. in front of your name (especially by other physicians), so I would put it once I get the degree (especially, since I look like young and sketchy... it'll be a nice reaction to look for).
Dr. in German is the short form. You have to write a dissertation (even for the M.Ds) to get the title.

The longer part depends of the department of the University you wrote your dissertation you may have (for example).

Dr. med. (Medical)
Dr. phil. (Philosophy)
Dr. ing. (Engeneering)
Dr. rer.pol. (Politic Science)
Dr. rer.oec. (Economy)
Dr. rer.nat. (Natural Science)

You can use both versions. I studied Business, but got Dr. phil..

Dr. med. is not exactly the same as M.D., because in Germany you have to write a dissertatin thesis to get it. There are some "Doctors" that are no "Doctors" at all. You can be M.D., but if you did not wrote your thesis, you cannot be called "Doctor" (=Academic Degree)!

So in some European Countries a Dr. in a profile wont be a M.D. But there can be an M.D. that is not allowed to use the Title Dr.!

Klingt komisch, ist aber so!
Sounds complicate...
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by You want to go where?

I think this is uncalled for. Dr. is the official title of someone with a PhD. How is it misleading? It's not like they are trying to pass themselves off as medical doctors like their degrees are just lower versions of MDs.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:31 am
njm

Programs: AGR, CO
As someone in a Ph.D. program, I'd like to try to channel the younger version of yourself, and say go ahead and use it.

Years ago you worked really hard for the ddegree, and think of using the title now as a kind of tribute to that younger version of yourself.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:49 am

In everyday life I use my name first name-surname with no title. However, if someone asks me what my title is I reply Dr (that's what it is!), similarly if a form of any sort requires me to fill in a title I write Dr, so yes, it is there in my low status frequent flier membership.

As for whether I get preferential treatment for it, I don't believe so, most of the time - although if I'm in harrassed mum-of-two mode it can change attitudes...... I'm certainly not pretending to be an MD by using the title Dr - as most people know PhDs were called Dr way before physicians jumped on the bandwagon,

tj
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by njm
As someone in a Ph.D. program, I'd like to try to channel the younger version of yourself, and say go ahead and use it.

Years ago you worked really hard for the ddegree, and think of using the title now as a kind of tribute to that younger version of yourself.
I'm confident enough to not have to blow my own horn. From my extensive experience in academia, people that do that tend to be pompous a@@hats.

You will learn, young Padawan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.