Search

Qantas merger 'inevitable'

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: |QF Platinum|DL Platinum|HH Gold|ALL Silver|
Qantas merger 'inevitable'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/qant...262485583.html

With whom? And how soon? Is it this a fishing expedition on Geoff Dixon's part?
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:50 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
NZ is, and has always been the obvious choice - only GovCo meddling has stopped it thus far.

In fact, GovCo meddling is the single biggest shackle on the global airline industry - imagine how effective US carriers could become if foreign ownership restrictions were dropped and QF bought AA, SQ bought UA, etc.

A dream world....
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by shillard
NZ is, and has always been the obvious choice - only GovCo meddling has stopped it thus far.
Yeah - that worked out so well for Ansett after all!
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I don't see a merger with NZ anytime in the future.

Commerce Commission over this side of the ditch would probably commit mass suicide before signing that off.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 9:39 pm

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asiana
I can't imagine the public at large being keen on it either. A lot of people still think that QF is wholly government owned and people get funny about 'flag carrier' airlines in a way that they don't with other businesses. QF would have to consider the possible backlash from the travelling public.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:19 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
I don't see a merger with NZ anytime in the future.

Commerce Commission over this side of the ditch would probably commit mass suicide before signing that off.
Actually it was ACCC that killed off the last attempt. NZ's CC had a "finely balanced" view and was prepared to sign off if ACCC did. ACCC didn't and the rest is history.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 10:54 pm

Programs: QF PS, US, CO
Originally Posted by docbert
Yeah - that worked out so well for Ansett after all!
Yeah, but this time we'd have decent management running the show who have a clue about running a global airline, rather than a bunch of pretenders.

mt
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
If a merger did happen between NZ and QF I'd personally hope that NZ management were the ones running the show.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:21 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by shillard

NZ is and always has been absolutely the last airline QF should be allowed to take over - there is too much overlap , it is too anti-competitive . If anyone should take NZ off the Governments hands it should be the Virgin group but I dont think that they have the spare cash to do it even if the government were selling . A combination of Virgin Blue , V Australia , Pacific Blue and (Virgin) NZ all in Star together with a merged VS/BD makes far more sense than NZ reduced to a feeder service to QFs overcrowded SYD hub - if QF get their hands on NZ you can say goodbye to any longhaul services out of New Zealand except maybe a token flight to LAX . The population of the State of Victoria is larger and wealthier than that of New Zealand and just see how many ( few) longhaul services QF permit them to have - thank goodness for the ACCC
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:06 am

Programs: AA PLT; UA Gold
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/busi...ia-Qantas.html
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:11 am

No brainer...!...

British Airways, Its one of the few airlines that could make sense of qantas, benefit from the merger jointly and afford it.

It would be the first true "world airline".
BA have always had this on the burner, and with the open skies into USA its never been a better time.

I would take a small wager ( In a bottle )
Old Aug 22, 2008, 1:33 am

Programs: QFF, Velocity, Asiana
The thing is, we're all looking at this from the perspective of what would be best for us and for the consumer in general. But Qantas will be looking at this from a totally different perspective, what benefits the business and the shareholders. So mergers that would seem to make perfect sense to us may make little sense in profit and business terms and therefore be extremly unlikely. And what we consider to be very bad matches may make a lot of profit and business sense, even if they have no benefit for (or possibly even hurt) the consumer.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 6:33 am

I thought QF was doing great...

I don't get it (perhaps because I didn't grow up here?). QF just posted huge profits, but they have to merge to survive?

The market conditions here allow it to be one of the most profitable airlines in the world, even in these lean times... why would they need to merge? And with which airline anyway, since just about no other airline is as profitable as QF (except, perhaps airlines from cheap labor countries)?
Old Aug 22, 2008, 6:46 am

Programs: QF Platinum, VA Gold
Originally Posted by honu
The market conditions here allow it to be one of the most profitable airlines in the world, even in these lean times... why would they need to merge?
I guess by 'merge' they mean 'take over another airline' - which one(s) it would be, I've got no idea.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 3:16 pm

Programs: QF Plat./OW Emerald + Life Gold, IC Plat. Royal Ambassador, etc.
"...We want to get a return for our investment and we will cut fares as much as we can" he [Geoff Dixon] said.

Qantas will LOWER fares in the next few years he says... Dixon must be moving from QF into stand-up comedy. Have not laughed so hard in years !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.