Wiki Posts
Search

Construction in my room!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Gold
Construction in my room!

So, I just got back to my hotel room this afternoon to find two workers in my room. They had cut a hole in the drywall in the closet and seemed to be installing an access panel of some type, and installing bifold doors on the closet. I did get back to the room early in the afternoon, but don't you think they could do this when the room is unoccupied? Their tools and stuff were all over the place, and I felt very odd just sitting in my room eating my lunch while they were working. Has anybody else encountered this type of situation?
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by JamesTheRod
So, I just got back to my hotel room this afternoon to find two workers in my room. They had cut a hole in the drywall in the closet and seemed to be installing an access panel of some type, and installing bifold doors on the closet. I did get back to the room early in the afternoon, but don't you think they could do this when the room is unoccupied? Their tools and stuff were all over the place, and I felt very odd just sitting in my room eating my lunch while they were working. Has anybody else encountered this type of situation?
March right downstairs and speak to the MOD. Explain the situation and let them know that a) you were unaware this would be taking place and you don't feel comfortable and b) ask why this information was not communicated to you.

Ask to be moved to another room.

Forget other situations, get this straightened out IMMEDIATELY.

What property is this?

Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
March right downstairs and speak to the MOD. Explain the situation and let them know that a) you were unaware this would be taking place and you don't feel comfortable and b) ask why this information was not communicated to you.

What property is this?

Holey moley. Totally agree w/ Cheap Elite on this one. That's unacceptable!

Cheers.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Holey moley. Totally agree w/ Cheap Elite on this one. That's unacceptable!

Cheers.
+1. Absolutely unacceptable.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Elite, HiltonHonors Diamond, Priority Club Platinum Royal Ambassador

What property is this?

I agree this should NEVER happen..... The only reason for a maintenance person to be in your room is at YOUR request!

If this property happens to be a Hampton, I believe that this would qualify for you being NOT 100% satisfied
Old Aug 27, 2008, 2:16 pm

Good golly! Absolutely unacceptable.

They should definitely move you to an upgraded room and comp the stay.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Priority Club Platinum, HHonors Gold
I'll talk to the manager tomorrow and see what happens. I've been gone the rest of the day, or I would've done it earlier. The 100% guarantee doesn't really matter to me, since it's on the company tab anyway, but we'll see what happens.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA1k;HH Gold;MR Gold
I have never heard of such a thing. I would have marched down on the spot
Old Aug 27, 2008, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite
This is really strange. Most hotels will not permit work to be done on an occupied room. If a worker absolutely have to go into your room, whether you are there or not, he would have to be accompanied by hotel security. I agree with everybody that you need to speak to the Manager right away.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 6:07 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
I'm with the "totally unacceptable" answers.

However, I'll add that one time I got home early and the maid was still in my room during turndown. She rushed to leave, but I was so excited to have company and was like "Hi! How are you? How was your day?" It was refreshing to have someone to come home to, even if it was the housekeeper Totally different scenario, but it just reminded me of that.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Email the HH Gold people. I can't remember what the email is, but you should have that info with your Gold packet.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by JamesTheRod
I'll talk to the manager tomorrow and see what happens. I've been gone the rest of the day, or I would've done it earlier. The 100% guarantee doesn't really matter to me, since it's on the company tab anyway, but we'll see what happens.
What do you mean it doesn't apply? It's the principal!! Why should your company pay for substandard service?

If you don't report this now (obviously it's too late) this kind of behavior will continue. What if something came up missing?

If it was a dire emergency they needed access to the room, that would be one thing, but to just come in the room for a "random" repair seems odd. We're only hearing your side of the story and I like to hear ALL OF THE FACTS before judging but this seems quite odd.

Please let us know what property this is as i would not want to stay there if this standard operating procedure.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by SceneStealer7
I'm with the "totally unacceptable" answers.

However, I'll add that one time I got home early and the maid was still in my room during turndown. She rushed to leave, but I was so excited to have company and was like "Hi! How are you? How was your day?" It was refreshing to have someone to come home to, even if it was the housekeeper Totally different scenario, but it just reminded me of that.

As long as you weren't looking for a welcome home kiss.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP, CO PE, HH Diamond, MR Platinum, BW Diamond, Avis PC
[COLOR="DarkGreen"]What do you mean it doesn't apply? It's the principal!! Why should your company pay for substandard service?
The other option would be to tell that manager that in lieu of a refund that you'd like the amount of HHonors points comprable to a free night at that specific property. I've requested that before when the 100% GTD would have applied and I was on a business stay. Yes my company is paying for the room but they aren't the ones being hassled by whatever the problem is.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL GE
Well now I am curious, since I hate people being in my room I always put the DND sign up my whole trip (but I make sure to take the paper so hey don't think I am dead and break in LOL (it's happened!)).

Now I wonder if they would had minded a DND sign?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.