Search

Zoom Airlines Collapses

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AE
Zoom Airlines Collapses

Wow. From one plane impounded last night, to totally out of business 24 hours later Terrible the way travellers are left stranded so abruptly:
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...599646-cp.html
Old Aug 28, 2008, 12:48 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Put a fork in em', they're done.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 2:08 am

Programs: skywards, BMI, Qantas, Hilton honours
another one bites the dust, i have travelled on zoom and thought they were a decent airline comapred to some of the other LCC
Old Aug 29, 2008, 3:03 am

Programs: QF SG,Velocity WP, HI Diamond, Accor Platinum
Wow, this is something. I was within hours booking a return flight on zoom for october. Looks like back to BA/AA for me
Old Aug 29, 2008, 4:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Wish I could say I was surprised, but alas I'm not. :/
Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:02 am

Programs: AA PLT
FlyZoom

I flew them earlier this month one way LGW->YVR in PE, I was pleasantly suprised with them, PE was about 30% full and cattle was about 80+% full, so it looked like they were getting some customers. Staff were friendly,

We flew back (YYC->LGW) on globespane business class, which we were much less impressed with.
Old Aug 29, 2008, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Yeah, SAN attracted them with landing fee reductions so we could have a SAN-LHR flight again.

Got that for about a month....
Old Aug 29, 2008, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Email sent to customers today:

CUSTOMER ANNOUCEMENT

Zoom Airlines sincerely regrets to advise its customers that it has suspended operations with effect from 18:00 UTC on Thursday 28 August.

All flights scheduled to depart from have been cancelled and Zoom's aircraft have been grounded.

Both Zoom Airlines Inc and Zoom Airlines Ltd, the Canadian and UK airlines, will be filing for insolvency proceedings in their home countries today.

For customers who have future travel plans involving a Zoom flight for which reservations and payment have been made, you should refer to your credit or debit card company to apply for a refund. We have set out details of other airlines who operate the same or similar routes to those flown with Zoom in the hope that this may assist you in making alternative travel plans to replace the flights that you had booked with Zoom.

If your travel arrangements have been made as part of a holiday package originating in the UK and booked through a holiday company, you may be able to make a claim under the CAA's Air Travel Organiser's Licence scheme. For information on this, please consult the CAA ATOL website at www.atol.org.uk.

Hugh and John Boyle, the founders of Zoom, said today: "We deeply regret the fact that we have been forced to cease all Zoom operations. It is a tragic day for our passengers and more than 600 staff.

"We are desperately sorry for the inconvenience that this will cause passengers and those who have booked flights.

"We have done everything we can to support the airline and left no stone unturned to secure a re-financing package that would have kept our aircraft flying. Even as late as yesterday we had secured a new investment package but the actions of creditors meant we could not continue flying.

"The collapse of Zoom is a result of matter beyond our control. Only last year Zoom Airlines made profit, but that turned into a loss in the last year due to the unprecedented increase in the price of aviation fuel and the economic climate. The price of oil resulted in our fuel bill jumping by nearly $50 million in one year and we could not recover that from passengers who had already booked their flights.

"We would like to thank the many thousands of passengers who chose to travel with Zoom during the last seven years and efforts of the airline's staff."

We have been advised that British Airways and Virgin Atlantic are graciously offering special fares to assist Zoom customers that have been displaced by the suspension of our services.

Services offered by other airlines which may be of assistance to Zoom customers:
London Gatwick to Toronto Canadian Affair, Air Canada, Fly Globespan, British Airways
London Gatwick to Vancouver Canadian Affair, Air Canada, Fly Globespan, British Airways
London Gatwick to Calgary Canadian Affair, Air Canada, Fly Globespan, British Airways
London Gatwick to Montreal Canadian Affair, Air Canada, British Airways
London Gatwick to Ottawa Canadian Affair, Air Canada
London Gatwick to Halifax Canadian Affair, Air Canada
London Gatwick to Winnipeg No direct flights. See Air Canada for options to change planes at airports in Canada to fly on this route.
London Gatwick to New York British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, American Airlines
London Gatwick to Bermuda British Airways
London Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale No direct flights. See British Airways, Virgin Atlantic and American Airlines for flights to Miami; or other US airlines for flights via hubs in America.
London Gatwick to San Diego No direct flights. See British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, American Airlines, Air New Zealand and United Airlines for flights to Los Angeles or other US airlines for flights via hubs in America.
Glasgow to Ottawa No direct flights
Glasgow to Halifax No direct flights
Glasgow to Calgary Canadian Affair, Fly Globespan
Glasgow to Vancouver Canadian Affair, Fly Globespan
Glasgow to Toronto Canadian Affair, Fly Globespan
Manchester to Vancouver Canadian Affair, Fly Globespan
Manchester to Toronto Canadian Affair, Fly Globespan
Belfast to Toronto Canadian Affair, Fly Globespan
Belfast to Vancouver No direct flights.
Cardiff to Toronto No direct flights
Cardiff to Vancouver No direct flights
Montreal to Paris Air Canada, Air France, Air Transat
Toronto to Paris Air Canada, Air France, Air Transat
Calgary to Paris Air Transat
Vancouver to Paris Air Transat
Montreal to Rome Air Transat, Alitalia
Toronto to Rome Alitalia

Airline website addresses:
Air Canada www.aircanada.com

Air France www.airfrance.com

Air New Zealand www.airnewzealand.com

Air Transat www.airtransat.com

Alitalia www.alitalia.com

British Airways www.ba.com

Canadian Affair www.canadianaffair.com for customers starting their journey in the UK

www.canadianaffair.ca for customers starting their journey in Canada

Fly Globespan www.flyglobespan.com

United Airways www.united.com

Virgin Atlantic www.virgin-atlantic.com
Old Aug 29, 2008, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA GLD
Wow,

Dad was going to book a flight with them for his big trip to the UK and I managed to talk him into spending the extra to fly with a different airline. Glad I did, he's supposed to fly out next week.
This doesn't suprise me though..
Old Aug 31, 2008, 4:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan Former E
Sad that Zoom is gone but Globespan isn`t. A friend has taken both and will never step foot on Flyglobespan again.

Pretty decent LCC down the tubes.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 2:15 pm

yep, that SAN - Gatwick service didn't last for too long...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.