Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay in Calgary?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2008, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Where to stay in Calgary?

Any good hotel recommendations? Can't find any luxury hotels during my search.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
You may have answered your own question!

If you try the Canada board you may have more luck.

Last time I was there the Hyatt had just opened and was perfectly fine, but that was last century.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 3:00 am

Programs: lost all status during pandemic...
not much for luxury hotels in calgary.

Fairmont Palliser might be your best bet. Rumours of a Ritz opening downtown in Eau Claire area in a couple years.
Old Sep 12, 2008, 8:50 am

Programs: A Few
Calgary does not currently have a 5* hotel.

The Sheraton Suites Eau Claire gets very high marks from most travelers. Nice rooms and good service. Good Downtown location.

Don't be afraid of the Sheraton name...it's a very nice hotel (probably one of the very best Sheratons in N. America) and would be my first choice if I ever needed a room here.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Hyatt has a good location and a good fish restaurant (forgot name). Not luxury but very doable.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

There seems to be a consensus on this Forum that there are no true Luxury Hotels in Calgary. Therefore, I am moving this thread to the Canada Forum for further discussion.
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:31 pm

Sheraton Suites Eau Claire is a nice hotel and it's apart from some of the downtown noise and dust. It's on the river and next to the trails, so very nice if you want to be able to walk/run/cycle, but still close to the business district.

The Hyatt is a nice hotel and so is the Palliser, but you get more street issues there (I mean both potential construction and street people), but they are still nice places to stay. There's also the Westin, but I don't really know what is happening with it - it was halfway through some kind of update the last time I visited there, and it didn't appeal to me much, to be honest. (But I may be unfair, not having been there for almost two years.)

My choice would be the Sheraton, even though I don't like some things about it.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Yes -- Sheraton Suites Eau Claire. It's continually one of the top-rated Sheratons worldwide and belies it's "name." We were just there 10 days ago (4th stay) and it beats the Westin 2 blocks south. Best local coffee house (and pastries) in town is 25 yards across the plaza (Good Earth), one of the best breakfasts you could ever eat is also there (1886, an old lumber mill office) and River Cafe, an excellent restaurant is a short walk onto Prince's Island on the river. There's also a great Irish pub on the main floor.

Notice that I didn't recommend eating in the hotel?
Old Sep 19, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG Gold, Fairmont PC Gold, IC Gold
Sheraton Suite Eau Claire... No doubt about it, its the best.

Look into if your company has a preferred rate. I stay there for 219 a night on corporate account, otherwise its pretty expensive.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 2:41 pm

Sorry to hijack this thread however we will be spending 2 to 3 nights in CGY during our trip to the rockies in December. Has anyone stayed at the Marriott there?

I have Marriott Gold so will get concierge/executive level acces, and likely to get room upgrade, hence would not mind Marriott in CGY. Unless, it is a dump?

Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by Petrus
Sorry to hijack this thread however we will be spending 2 to 3 nights in CGY during our trip to the rockies in December. Has anyone stayed at the Marriott there?

I have Marriott Gold so will get concierge/executive level acces, and likely to get room upgrade, hence would not mind Marriott in CGY. Unless, it is a dump?

Thanks.
The Marriott has flown many flags over the years...it was originally a Four Seasons (before 4S became a true luxury brand). I actually worked there many years ago. It was not the best back then and is still down the list IMHO.

I would choose Sheraton Suites Eau Claire, Hyatt Regency, Westin, Fairmont Palliser, Kensington Riverside Inn, Hotel Arts all ahead of the Marriott.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
I would choose Sheraton Suites Eau Claire, Hyatt Regency, Westin, Fairmont Palliser, Kensington Riverside Inn, Hotel Arts all ahead of the Marriott.
In that particular order?
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by mapu
In that particular order?
Yes...although I would not stay at The Palliser in a standard room. It's an old classical hotel with some very small rooms with no view...and it sits on the railway tracks.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 2:00 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH LTD
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
Yes...although I would not stay at The Palliser in a standard room. It's an old classical hotel with some very small rooms with no view...and it sits on the railway tracks.
Thanks for the information!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:18 am

Programs: AC, UA, HH, MR, and the other usual suspects
Originally Posted by mapu
Thanks for the information!
I really liked the Kensington Riverside Inn - boutique hotel, great breakfasts and cookies, cozy but very comfortable and well-amenitied rooms, good location, and small hotel personalized treatment. Although if you want big hotel amenities, you might be happier with another.

The Sheraton Eau Claire is good, but had trouble with upgrade as an SPG Plat there. It, of course, has the big hotel amenities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.