Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:11 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Kris Flyer changes 29 September 2008

Summary of changes - link

One-way awards to be 50% of return mileage (was 70%) ^

Unrestricted awards to be renamed standard award

New award category Full award - more redemption seats and greater flexibility (and left unsaid, more mileage required)

Mix and match the 3 categories of awards and class of travel, eg one-way saver economy class and the other way full business class. ^

Changed online booking tool functionality.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:16 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
Based on the one-way Full award mileage chart, it appears these are for any seat. The costs are very high. Eg SIN to SYD one way 213,000 miles in business class.

Full awards are not available for First Suites (A380)
Full and Standard awards are not available on Silkair

Award cost does not include taxes and fees. These are charged additionally.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:26 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Just got the email too. the reduction in miles for OW awards is awesome.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:33 am

Programs: BA LTG, SQ TPPS, CX DMP, AA EXP, Bonvoy LTT, ALL PLT, Hilton DM
Can now redeem Award Flights on 77W / A345 / A380!!!

(I thought this deserves its own thread! Please merge if appropriate)

With SQ's new award starting Sept 29th, you will be able to redeem:

• Only Standard and Full awards are available for redemption in First and Business Class on B777-300ER flights.
• Only Standard and Full awards are available for redemption on All-Business Class A340-500 flights.
• Only Standard and Full awards are available for redemption in Business Class on the Singapore Airlines A380 flights. There is no First Class on the Singapore Airlines A380. No redemption is available for the Singapore Airlines Suites.

Wonder if *A miles can redeem these seats or not???
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:42 am

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
Its not really a reduction of miles required for OW travel - its now all award travel is one-way, you have to mix and match to get a return journey.

There are now no return award charts.

You also still get the 15% discount for booking online. So book what you can then ring up to get the remainder.

As long as they don't reduce the seats in the Saver category - I am okay with this.

It would be nice to know what each type of award book into.

How cheap is it to buy OW - get Award one way and pay for the return?
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:56 am

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
Here is inflation for you.

I once booked for 55,000 Krisflyer points (about 3-4 years ago), JFK-FRA-SIN-MEL business class to first class upgrade on a star alliance RTW ticket. Only hitch was couldn't go JFK-SIN on the one plane, had to stay in FRA for 10+ hours to catch the second flight. So had three different flight numbers.

This is now 70,000 if you can get the 747 all the way
140,000 if you include a 777-300ER (standard award)
500,000 points if you go Full Fare

So is Houston on the East Coast or West Coast?

Could you get for 140K IAH-DME-SIN-MEL? 773ER all the way - might think about that. Or should I go IAH-FRA-SIN on LH and use points to upgrade (115K LH points)
Old Sep 16, 2008, 1:14 am

Programs: QF-LTS & P, SQ-TPPS, IC-RA, HH-D, *wood G, Others
This all sounds a bit like deja-vu (a la QF)
Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:12 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bagold
(I thought this deserves its own thread! Please merge if appropriate)

With SQ's new award starting Sept 29th, you will be able to redeem:

• Only Standard and Full awards are available for redemption in First and Business Class on B777-300ER flights.
• Only Standard and Full awards are available for redemption on All-Business Class A340-500 flights.
• Only Standard and Full awards are available for redemption in Business Class on the Singapore Airlines A380 flights. There is no First Class on the Singapore Airlines A380. No redemption is available for the Singapore Airlines Suites.

IThere is a discussion on this here: http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5250

Before anyone gets too excited and believes that Saver awards in C or F are now available on the 773ER or A380 (C only as no F but suites) or A345 (C only) let me point out that SQ is not removing that barrier. They are just introducing yet another award bucket on top of the old 'Unrestricted' type called 'Full' so in the future if you want to go like SIN-ZRH on the 773ER in new C you can get the foillowing:

Saver: 110K mlies - NOT OFFERED FOR THIS AIRCRAFT TYPE
Standard (Prev. Unrestricted): 220K miles
Full (NEW): TBD but my guess is at least 330K or more

See also here: http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...hancements.jsp

In short, same crap with an even more ridiculous award level. They are nuts. On a positive note there will be a one way award with 50% miles which is nice if I can find saver awards in C on any remaining 744 aircraft

Last edited by demue; Sep 16, 2008 at 2:34 am
Old Sep 16, 2008, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by bagold
They won't, under current policies. Standard (and a fortiori Full) awards book into classes unavailable to non-KrisFlyer FFPs.

Unrestricted = Standard, so those redemptions have always been available (at extortionate rates) to KrisFlyer members.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by demue
...if you want to go like SIN-ZRH on the 773ER in new C you can get the foillowing:

Saver: 110K mlies - NOT OFFERED FOR THIS AIRCRAFT TYPE
Standard (Prev. Unrestricted): 220K miles
Full (NEW): TBD but my guess is at least 330K or more
From the Singapore Airlines website:

ONE-WAY Business Class (Singapore to London)

Saver: 60K
Standard: 120K
Full: 315K

This is utterly outrageous!
Old Sep 16, 2008, 7:16 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
That's a bargain compared with Qantas' 1 million points anytime awards
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:08 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by harryhv
That's a bargain compared with Qantas' 1 million points anytime awards
That is true but we like not to measure against other 'insane' programs. Both are ridiculous. I mean have it there for the few people who want to throw miles away but to introduce this as a great enhancement is a freaking joke.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 9:52 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
When I received the e-mail announcing these "enhancements" from SIA earlier today, I did have to read it a couple of times to make sure I hadn't missed something.

Other than the reduction of miles required for the one-way award (from 70% of round-trip to 50%), it seems like these changes are yet another "enhancement" which in reality are little more than marketing spin.

You have to hand it to SIA's corporate communications gurus -- they do sure know how to put lipstick on a pig!

Last edited by crazycrab955; Sep 16, 2008 at 9:59 am
Old Sep 16, 2008, 10:22 am

Programs: AC-Elite, SPG-Gold
to quote obama "perhaps the pig is the industry and the lipstick is the new policies"
Old Sep 16, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: *A NZ Gold Elite for over 20 years previously SQ PPS and UA 1K
I think the bean counters at airlines have forgotten that these programs were a reward for loyalty and they now see them as an expense to be "Enhanced".
The irony is these bean counters will no doubt be long gone when the chickens come home to roost.

SQ would also do well to look at their product. Having just arrived in LHR on SQ F today from AKL both seats 1A (777) then 2A (747) had broken lap top power supplies and a host of other service issues.

@:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.