Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Proposal: close seniors forum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Proposal: close seniors forum

This forum, since it's inception, has seen a whopping 20 threads in the 18 or so weeks it has been around (averaging perhaps 1/week) and has not seen any traffic in two solid weeks. A good percentage of those 213 posts are from the same three people.

I'd say the experiment did not work (and yes, I expect the post count to skyrocket in short order to artificially prove that the forum is being "used"), so the TB, IMHO, should correct it's earlier error.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:58 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I think you're right. Very low traffic and threads that might get more visibility in TravelBuzz! or a forum more appropriate to the content of the threads.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:10 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I agree that the Seniors Forum has been a failure. See no reason to keep it open.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Given there are so few posts and threads, perhaps they could be merged into a master thread in TravelBuzz. In that way, relevant quesitons and posts could be moved to that master thread by the TBuzz volunteers.

I have no use for the forum, so can't comment on its utility, but I hope that we can 'keep the dream alive' in terms of a relevant and useful place for people to find and share non region-specific Seniors info.

Any region-specific info should belong in the regional travel forums (or budget travel).

Thanks to the three who have put so much effort into the forum; I'm sorry it didn't take off. I hope that the content remains visible and accessible, as well as available, to those seeking it, be it in TravelBuzz, Budget Travel, regional forums or wherever it might need to be seen.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:50 pm

I was just waiting another 10 years before I started posting in that forum.

Drats.

Zip it up - useless forum.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 5:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
I brought this up quite a bit ago as well. . .Thanks Cx4 for following this! I agree - close it.

Last edited by ldsant; Sep 17, 2008 at 6:10 pm
Old Sep 17, 2008, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by obscure2k
I agree that the Seniors Forum has been a failure. See no reason to keep it open.
Agree, though wonder whether closing a forum will be as easily done as creating one. Hopefully...
Old Sep 17, 2008, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
One more vote for "retirement".
Old Sep 17, 2008, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question Poll for this proposal

For important matters like voting to open or close forums, is it possible to include a poll?
It might expedite matters for TB members - a check of the number of people interested either way, in additional to qualitative arguments which might be included in posts.

Thanks for considering this suggestion.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally, I never thought the forum would be a success or a true benefit for FT (which is why I voted against it in the begining). I'm completely in support closing this forum.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Personally, I never thought the forum would be a success or a true benefit for FT (which is why I voted against it in the begining). I'm completely in support closing this forum.
Well, that makes at least two of you. Might I ask you consider motioning it?
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Well, that makes at least two of you. Might I ask you consider motioning it?
I would consider it, but I prefer not to make motions right away. A couple more days of discussion & I may be willing to make the motion.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 10:52 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
I respected your vote then and I respect your input now.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thirteen posts by eight people, all in favour so far.

I asked about the poll because some FTers might want to anonymously participate to begin with and add their comments later.

Having gone through the Religious Travel debate, I think it might be good to look at votes for/against as well as the progress of this 'debating competition' topic.

(If I get a seconder, can we have it? )
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
The problem with a poll in this situation is that people will not be equally motivated to respond. Those who use a forum will be motivated to vote no to retain it. Those who don't use it could probably care less about whether it exists or not, so are much less likely to bother to vote yes to remove it. Those most likely to vote yes are the people who hang out on here and know the kinds of consideration which TB may give before opening a new forum. So I'd pretty much expect most votes on retaining forums, unless it is one as dead as seniors appears to be, to be an overwhelming no. But if they are not representative, then as a poll, they aren't worth much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.