Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Valet stole my GPS, should I file a police report?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sadly no longer platinum with anyone. Plain old Delta Skymiles member and Marriott Rewards member

I'm in Chicago on business again at the SpringHill Suites Chicago
http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...chicago-ohare/
. Parking garage is under construction so they are using a 3rd party valet service. I turned my car in yesterday around 5:30, put my GPS in the center console. Come out today and it's gone. I talked to the valet manager, he says they lock the vehicles, says it would have gone from the hotel down to their lot 1 1/2 miles down the road, then been locked up, then retrieved this morning. He said he'd give me a call within 2 or 3 hours (this was at 8:00 central time this morning) and i've heard nothing.

I figure i'm hosed because they warn you not to leave valuables in the car. I figured in the center console out of sight it was fine, guess I learned my lesson.

Is it worth filing a police report, to see if there is anyone on staff that has a background? Or will the police just give me a piece of paper and consider it as a theft and move on.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jasonpbyu
Or will the police just give me a piece of paper and consider it as a theft and move on.
I would file a police report and move on. They are not going to investigate the theft, but perhaps if a pattern emerges, your report would help in a potential arrest.

As a personal habit, I always give the valet a valet key after locking the glove compartment (with associated valuables such as iPod, etc) and trunk. It always screws up those valets that need the panic button to locate my car, but oh well, their problem.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
As a Chicago native, I would strongly urge anyone to not leave anything valuable in your car. Chicago is well known for its thieves (your average criminal and the ones running City Hall).
Old Sep 18, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by jasonpbyu
Is it worth filing a police report, to see if there is anyone on staff that has a background? Or will the police just give me a piece of paper and consider it as a theft and move on.
It's probably a lost cause, but one reason for filing a police report is that any insurance you have -- and I'd check all my policies (auto, credit card, etc.), just in case -- will probably require a police report to substantiate the theft. It will also help substantiate any complaints against the hotel and/or valet company. Saying "my GPS was stolen" is one thing; saying "my GPS was stolen; here is a copy of the police report" carries a bit more weight.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 4:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I'll second that

I live in Chicago and once had 3 hubcaps of my 1998 Nissan Altima stolen from my garage spot downtown! God knows what $$ the guy made from them, just left me with a bunch of ugly wheels.

Oh as for City Hall.... thats a different thread... probably a different forum.

Originally Posted by VA1379
As a Chicago native, I would strongly urge anyone to not leave anything valuable in your car. Chicago is well known for its thieves (your average criminal and the ones running City Hall).
Old Sep 18, 2008, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
Chicago is well known for its corruption, as are other places like Philadelphia and New Jersey. I am not trying to turn this thread into an OMNI discussion. Some of Chicago's finest have been involved in large scale theft rings.

If you go to this link and scroll down to the second entry, you will see that William Hanhardt was indicted for running a large scale jewelry theft ring after retiring from the Chicago Police Department.

Here is a quote from that link, and I have bolded some parts to highlight the connections to the police:

Chicago: Chicago's former chief of detectives was indicted by a federal grand jury today on charges of masterminding a ring of Mafia related thieves who stole $4.85 million in jewels in heists across the nation.

Chicago has long been the center for the Mafia's stolen jewelers business and was pioneered by Nicky "the Ant" Spilotro.

The ring was involved in eight previously unsolved thefts of jewelry, gems and watches in Arizona, California, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Texas and Wisconsin, according to the indictment.

William Hanhardt, 71, who retired in 1986 after 33 years on the force, personally took part in some heists and got other officers to use police computers to target victims, the indictment says.

"He was at the top ranks of the Chicago police department, which is a frightening prospect," U.S. Attorney Scott Lassar said in announcing the charges against Hanhardt and five other men. The indictment said the thieves had started work well before Hanhardt left the department.

"Hanhardt's organization surpasses -- in duration and sophistication -- just about any other jewelry theft ring we've seen in federal law enforcement," Lassar said.

Hanhardt served as Chicago's chief of detectives but also had been chief of traffic, commander of the burglary section, deputy superintendent for inspectional services and a stationhouse commander.
William Hanhardt is obviously not the typical cop, but he is not the only rotten apple in Chicago. You must also consider the environment, which allowed him to operate such a theft ring with help from other cops.

I hope the OP reports the theft to the police, and it would be quite fortunate if he got his GPS back. However, GPS units are quite easy to sell on the black market. They are small and in demand.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't necessarily blame the valet directly. I know that some of the garages in Baltimore are sketchy as hell too & in some places, the valet garage is shared with non-valet customers as well. Not sure the setup at the SHS there, but it's completely possible that someone else stole it (and the valet's potential negligence in leaving the door unlocked may have contributed to that). That said, I'd still file a police report for insurance & statistic numbers.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
I was careless all week leaving my GPS in my state mini-van between the two seats in the front! But then again, all of my work clothes are hanging up in the back too so i guess im a pretty good target...thansk for the warning/heads up!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sadly no longer platinum with anyone. Plain old Delta Skymiles member and Marriott Rewards member
Just wanted to post a quick update. Valet company's claims department called me, they're sending me $200 for the theft. Very impressive. I figured I was screwed. It cost me $300 initially, but now goes for $200 on bestbuy.com (where the valet dude suggested I check to see what it costs)... well I found a much better model on ebay for $210, so I got a great GPS now!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 4:51 pm
In memoriam

Years ago I spent a morning in the Beverly Hills small claims court. I learned a lot, including, most valet parking services never pay for damages they cause, you have to sue 'em. And, most don't. So OP was very lucky!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 6:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat,SW, Hertz #1 Gold, Amtrak SP, jetBlue, et al
i once had my car dented by a valet at westfields conf center...and the GM was my former boss ( i had left the company at that point!)....Seems the front quater panel and door got stuck and the valet forced it open.

filed a police report....and a claim with marriott...they said too bad, car was damaged.....whatever. got estimate....said i'm suing....filed....got a call from a marriott legal eagle who literally said how much will it take to make this go away.....gave him amount of highest estimate....had a check less than a week later........guess he thought the several hundred bucks was reasonable. had i said 5 grand they would have said NOT!

sorry about your GPS but at least you got something for the theft. BTW that SHS by O'SCARE is WEIRD!
Old Sep 26, 2008, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by megtravels
sorry about your GPS but at least you got something for the theft. BTW that SHS by O'SCARE is WEIRD!
Also glad to hear the OP was reimbursed. Just curious, what's weird about the SHS there? I usually stay at the Marriott Suites O'hare, SHS is the backup plan (haven't had to use it).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.