Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"one of the few elite American Airlines customers"?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
"one of the few elite American Airlines customers"?

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/09/late-to-the-air.html

Aside from the "style" of these Wired stories, this one line caught my eye:

Late to the airport? No problem, as long as you're one of the few elite American Airlines customers. Starting September 30th, American announced their best customers will be able to leap through select airports like a pre-trial O.J. Simpson in a Hertz commercial. American customers participating in the PriorityAAccess program will be whisked through special security lanes, given top priority at boarding time, and be told before any other passenger that their luggage is 700 miles away.

Seems to me, with AA's lifetime Gold/Plat elite status, that there's lots of elites out there. Are there any statistics floating around, as per what the percentage is for each flight, of elite vs. non-elite pax?

Steve B.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:12 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
i am beginning to believe they out number the non-elites.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon
http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/09/late-to-the-air.html

, and be told before any other passenger that their luggage is 700 miles away. [/I]

?

Steve B.

How about AA fixing this??????
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
We all know that there are plenty of elites out there.

However, many, many of those elites do not use their benefits on a regular basis. In fact, I would wager that 25% of AA elites don't even realize that they have status, and some might not even fly AA much at all. These days, it's very easy to get MM status via credit cards and other sources.

Remember, it's easy to be lulled into a sense that "everyone" is elite when you fly LGA-DFW, AUS-SJC, and other super-elite-heavy routes!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I highly doubt 1 of every 4 elites does not even know they have status.

Maybe they don't know exactly what benefits they have, but that's a big number to not notice any emails, letters, or boarding pass printouts.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Given how many benefits and/or removal-of-charges is tied to Elite, I figured everyone would want to be Elite (or be travelling on an Elite's PNR!). It's to the point that I'm thinking of MR'ing to be able to gift NW Silver/Gold. You can buy 3P on UA, and "earn" Gold on AA via 1,000,000 miles of any activity. There's so many ways to become any Elite level, you figure if you fly more then 2x-3x a year, it's worth it.

Steve B.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:10 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by sbagdon
Given how many benefits and/or removal-of-charges is tied to Elite, I figured everyone would want to be Elite (or be travelling on an Elite's PNR!). It's to the point that I'm thinking of MR'ing to be able to gift NW Silver/Gold. You can buy 3P on UA, and "earn" Gold on AA via 1,000,000 miles of any activity. There's so many ways to become any Elite level, you figure if you fly more then 2x-3x a year, it's worth it.

Steve B.
Couldn't agree with you more Steve. As a PE on NW, EXP on AA, and 1P for now on UA (may fall to 2P haven't decided on that one), I am insulated against the hosing that non-elites are getting right now on any legacy carrier. Safe Travels.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I highly doubt 1 of every 4 elites does not even know they have status.

Maybe they don't know exactly what benefits they have, but that's a big number to not notice any emails, letters, or boarding pass printouts.
I disagree with you. Not many people share our passion or obsession for travel. There are quite a few people out there who travel a bit who are NOT members of any program.

I for one, just found out that I belong to an elite group of shoppers at a Mall where I get special discounts. Apparently have been for years and never knew it, or cared about it. DOn't know why I am on it, but I am sure to many women shoppers this is blasphemy.

Just like we can't comprehend somebody not joining Aadvantage and knowing if they are gold or plt
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Deltahater
I disagree with you. Not many people share our passion or obsession for travel. There are quite a few people out there who travel a bit who are NOT members of any program.
I agree with this. I signed my other half up to AAdvantage and got her Gold status two years ago on a challenge. Last year she re-qualified for Gold, but we had a rather odd routing from New Orleans back to the UK to get the required EQMs in.

This year she will end up being around 1,000 short of Gold, but doesn't want to have to take the odd connections we did last year just to retain the status. She'd rather have a more direct flight back to the UK.

How many of us on this board would take the odd routing to score the extra 1,000 EQMs/EQPs? I know I would, but I'm not sure that the general population place this much value on Elite status...my other half certainly doesn't!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I know a number of people who will merely call their agent and go - regardless of which airline, etc. - in J or F. FFP? AAdvantage elite and its reciprocal agreements for treatment by oneworld airlines? They don't care, they just fly what their agent recommends or what's most convenient.

Originally Posted by Deltahater

I for one, just found out that I belong to an elite group of shoppers at a Mall where I get special discounts. Apparently have been for years and never knew it, or cared about it. DOn't know why I am on it, but I am sure to many women shoppers this is blasphemy.

Just like we can't comprehend somebody not joining Aadvantage and knowing if they are gold or plt
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:56 am

Programs: AA PLT 6MM
Originally Posted by k_getchell
How many of us on this board would take the odd routing to score the extra 1,000 EQMs/EQPs?
Me. Every time, unless I've already requalified for EXP for the year.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:05 pm

I wonder whether the new baggage fees, and particlurly the exemption from those fees for elites, will get more people looking seriously at trying to achieve elite status. I know a lot of flyers who see little value in FF miles because of their perception that they are impossible to use. On the other hand, not having to change your flying habits (ie checked bags) and not having to pay for that privilege, is worth real $$$ (at least until the rules change agian). -- Suzanne
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Remember, it's easy to be lulled into a sense that "everyone" is elite when you fly LGA-DFW, AUS-SJC, and other super-elite-heavy routes!
Or when you hang out on FT! Judging by many flights I take from ORD and LGA it seems to me that most of the passengers still board in Group 2 or later, ergo, most passengers are not elite. Other people's observations may be more accurate than mine.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO
I wonder whether the new baggage fees, and particlurly the exemption from those fees for elites, will get more people looking seriously at trying to achieve elite status. I know a lot of flyers who see little value in FF miles because of their perception that they are impossible to use. On the other hand, not having to change your flying habits (ie checked bags) and not having to pay for that privilege, is worth real $$$ (at least until the rules change agian). -- Suzanne
Interesting supposition, with DEQM promos and the like, and granted although it has not yet come to AA. DL, NW and UA all feature credit cards that earn elite miles for spending not necessarily related to flying. In some ways, that lowest elite tier level can be as beneficial as the highest elite tier level if one's goal is relief from fees, priority boarding, etc.YMMV It becomes an even more interesting proposition considering it now can be done with very little flying and if manipulated correctly not huge out-of-pocket spends. Safe Travels.

Last edited by GTITAN; Sep 24, 2008 at 5:10 pm Reason: clarifying fix of typo post. Thanks FWAA!
Old Sep 24, 2008, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by k_getchell
This year she will end up being around 1,000 short of Gold, but doesn't want to have to take the odd connections we did last year just to retain the status. She'd rather have a more direct flight back to the UK.
I'd say that is more to do with the fact that Gold, especially to someone who is UK based, isn't worth much.

IIRC from some other threads on average the number of low tier elites is around 10% of the programmes members, with mid tier around 3-5% with top tier around 1%.

The top tiers are just more visible as they theoretically fly 4x as much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.