Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Has anyone had to open an emergency exit door?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:06 pm
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels

Has anyone on these forums had to open an airplane emergency exit door?

If so, did you find the procedure more or less difficult than expected (based on your reading of the instructions on the door and/or safety card)?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 3:33 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, M&M FTL, TK *G HHonors Gold
Never "had to", in the terms of being in an accident, and did for evacuation. However, i have friend who's an aircraft technician, and he gave a guided tour at the technical base of his company, and let me try it on a B737-800. It's really quite simple on the 737NG's: You just pull the handle, and it opens.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 3:55 am

Originally Posted by martinfoss
Never "had to", in the terms of being in an accident, and did for evacuation. However, i have friend who's an aircraft technician, and he gave a guided tour at the technical base of his company, and let me try it on a B737-800. It's really quite simple on the 737NG's: You just pull the handle, and it opens.
Except at 30,000 feet.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 4:06 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by macabus
Except at 30,000 feet.
Why at 30,000 feet? Do you have a parachute you're wanting to try out?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Grog
Why at 30,000 feet? Do you have a parachute you're wanting to try out?
You can't open the door at altitude.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:11 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by macabus
You can't open the door at altitude.
Exactly. All these news media reports recently regarding air rage incidents where drunks 'almost opened the door!' are BS.

At altitude, the air pressure inside the plane is much greater than it is outside. As the doors open inwards, there's a huge amount of pressure (thousands of pounds) 'pushing' the doors closed. There's no way to open them up there.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:45 am
tjl
Original Poster

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by martinfoss
How heavy are the type of exit doors where you have to pick up the door and place it on the seats or throw it out of the plane (as shown on some of the cards) before jumping onto the slide?

Seems like something any reasonably fit person can do, but it also seems that there are a lot of airline passengers who may not be reasonably fit enough to do that.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 1:10 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
The 737NG exit doors are an outward-opening swing-up design. They're not plug doors. Therefore, I believe that theoretically you could open them in flight.

http://aviation-safety.net/photos/di...5&vnr=1&kind=E
Old Sep 25, 2008, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by tjl
How heavy are the type of exit doors where you have to pick up the door and place it on the seats or throw it out of the plane (as shown on some of the cards) before jumping onto the slide?

Seems like something any reasonably fit person can do, but it also seems that there are a lot of airline passengers who may not be reasonably fit enough to do that.
When I've sat in exit row seats and examined the door instructions, I believe I've seen indications that the door weighs in the neighborhood of 30 lbs. to 40 lbs. Not exactly light!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
I would venture to guess that the design and construction of any door on a commercial airliner flying today would prevent it from being opened in flight.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 1:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
I'm currently training to become a pilot, and I've opened a simulated 737 overwing exit during our emergency training.

Originally Posted by tjl

Originally Posted by dchristiva
When I've sat in exit row seats and examined the door instructions, I believe I've seen indications that the door weighs in the neighborhood of 30 lbs. to 40 lbs. Not exactly light!
That sounds about right. The door of the simulator was taken from a real aircraft, and it was not exactly light, but not too heavy either. I would say about the weight of a medium-sized suitcase. Thankfully, it's very easy to grab hold of and handle, though someone who is rather short might have a problem getting decent leverage on it.

Originally Posted by N965VJ
I would venture to guess that the design and construction of any door on a commercial airliner flying today would prevent it from being opened in flight.
Correct. For most airliners, this is done by using the plug-doors mentioned above. The door is bigger than the frame and the higher pressure inside the aircraft seals the door against the frame. Not even The Hulk on steroids can get that door open at 30000 feet if the pressure difference is acting against it.

And in case you're wondering how the door can still open outward on the ground: when the door is opened, it first moves inward, and then outward, passing through the doorframe sideways.

Originally Posted by N965VJ
The 737NG exit doors are an outward-opening swing-up design. They're not plug doors. Therefore, I believe that theoretically you could open them in flight.

http://aviation-safety.net/photos/di...5&vnr=1&kind=E
I'm not sure how it's done on the 737NG - I'll have to ask I guy I know who flies them. However, it's a safe bet that there would be some sort of safety mechanism built in to prevent them from being opened in flight. The possible liability issues alone would be enough for Boeing to make sure of that.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 1:55 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
yes....

i posted this
i posted this in a thread called have you ever gotten to go on the emergency slide?

a thread about aborted takeoffs but it's also quite fitting here as well.
===
i had one where we had to evacuate the aircraft...

back in the old days when co had the $99 cross country fares in the early 80's, i was lax-hou-pbi on a co dc-10. the plane was about half full and i was sitting by the exit row. we rolled out and accelerated and accelerated and then WHAM! the captain locks up the brakes and announces, "evacuate, evacuate, evacuate, this is not a drill!" followed by the evac horn.

the f/a in the jumpseat opposite me yells at me to stand by the door and when she tells me to pull the handle, pull it as hard as i can. she yells, i pull and up goes the door and out pops the slide.

She's barking instructions and yells to me, "if the don't jump, push them!" and i did have to do that as one person froze.

After the pax had gone she yelled "jump" and i jumped.

at the bottom of the slide, we were told to run away from the aircraft and that's just what i did. when i finally turned to look back at the aircraft, the tail engine was belching balck smoke and was just about to be sprayed by the lax fire dept.

upon returning to the terminal and being checked for injuries, the captain got on the p/a at the gate and explained what happened...there was an oil leak where the oil dripped onto something hot in the engine with result being an engine fire and that's whay he aborted.

no one was hurt and talk about "the old days", in a matter of about 20 minutes, delta had re-ticked me lax-atl-pbi no questions asked.
now, with this current thread and then the other one i mentioned one, should they be combined? just a thought
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...php?p=10425402
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722234
Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
WRT the physical force required to open a door, keep in mind that if there is physical damage to the airframe, it could make the operation much harder.

In the cabin door simulators used by the airline training departments, many have “door force” options that can be dialed in by the instructors at random to simulate a misaligned door frame.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 5:40 pm

I found on YouTube Qantas' training videos for opening their aircraft doors. Pretty interesting. (Yes, it's the 'other side' of the door, but interesting nevertheless.)

http://www.youtube.com/redtail747
Old Sep 26, 2008, 6:04 am

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by alex0683de
However, it's a safe bet that there would be some sort of safety mechanism built in to prevent them from being opened in flight.
I wonder if there's some sort of small aerodynamic device on the door which, under flight conditions, prevents it from lifting.

Sort of like the Cooper vane, which aero-locked the tail airstairs on the Boeing 727.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.