Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Edina Minnesota [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Edina Minnesota [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2007, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Westin Edina Minnesota [Master Thread]

I drove past the construction in Edina today. I'm honestly scratching my head at this property. It's in the middle of a very large and old shopping district. It's a mixed property, 225 hotel rooms + Condos and will be the tallest residential tower in the suburbs of the twin cities. It's about three miles away from the Sheraton South Bloomington.

The biggest thing I don't get is location. There are many hotels in the area. All of them are fairly close to a major interstate. This property is smack in between interstates/highways and will require a gauntlet of traffic lights and side streets to get to. It's also not particularly close to any major office complexes. Not that it's far from offices, you're just not going to hopping on the interstate and heading on your merry way. You'll be taking side streets to get there.

Oh, and don't expect a big Bar. Edina doesn't allow alcohol unless it's ordered with a food.

On the plus side being smack in the middle of a large and well established shopping district. There's no shortage of trendy independent and (as well as chain) restaurants. Movie theaters, stores, etc.

http://www.westinedinaresidences.com/
Old Aug 11, 2008, 5:40 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
Ever since I drove by it a few months ago I've been anxiously waiting for the new Westin Edina Galleria to open. It's within a mile of the Sheraton and Hilton, but has much better location than either of them. Attached to a great shopping mall and across the street from an even larger one, there's a ton of things to do and walk to - restaurants, theatres, shopping etc - things sorely lacking at the other two. And a McCormick & Shmick's sign just went up on the outside of the building.

Most importantly I won't have to drive from downtown anymore to get my Starwood points!

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 24, 2008 at 11:28 pm Reason: Copied from Minnesota Starwood thread
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:43 am

Bad Customer Experiences -- Westin Edina, MN

For anyone that will be traveling to the Minneapolis area, Westin Edina is the worst customer service that I ever experienced. I tried to work with them for a corporate rate for our project, (about 150 people at a given week) and guaranteeing them revenue for the next couple of years. Not only the sales manager didn't returned my call (Left two voicemails), he had his assistant email me and gave me some lame excuse that they are not "Part of the National Program" and didn't honor the rate we requested. The rate we requested is the same rate we've been paying for the surrounding hotels in the area for the past year.
Needless to say, I was very disappointed; I escalated to the director of travel within SPG to voice my displeasure. This is the first time I experienced something like this with the SPG brand and I've been a platinum member for almost 4 years now.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by weiqiang
For anyone that will be traveling to the Minneapolis area, Westin Edina is the worst customer service that I ever experienced. I tried to work with them for a corporate rate for our project, (about 150 people at a given week) and guaranteeing them revenue for the next couple of years. Not only the sales manager didn't returned my call (Left two voicemails), he had his assistant email me and gave me some lame excuse that they are not "Part of the National Program" and didn't honor the rate we requested. The rate we requested is the same rate we've been paying for the surrounding hotels in the area for the past year.
Needless to say, I was very disappointed; I escalated to the director of travel within SPG to voice my displeasure. This is the first time I experienced something like this with the SPG brand and I've been a platinum member for almost 4 years now.
Just so I understand - they wouldn't extend a corporate rate to you at all, or they wouldn't extend a corporate rate that was to your liking?

They are a brand new Westin, and as such can get a premium over the other hotels in the area. If you are currently staying at the Sheraton Bloomington there's no way I would expect to pay the same rate to stay at the new Westin.

My company does have a rate with the new hotel, and though it's $26 higher than the Sheraton it'll be well worth it. I can't wait to move my business over when they finally open at the end of the month.

Do do you have a corporate travel manager within your company? If so, I would approach them and ask for assistance - they usually have better luck than someone trying at the local level. Speaking to someone at SPG - the preferred guest reward program - probably won't do you much good.

Last edited by Rolling Stone; Aug 15, 2008 at 3:45 am
Old Sep 24, 2008, 10:22 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
NEW Westin-Edina, MN

Anyone stayed at the NEW Westin in Edina, MN? I hear it's amazing.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 11:31 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I've stayed there on multiple occasions.
The rooms are nice, but on the small side. I will post some pictures later on.
The staff is friendly, and there is a lounge. However, the evening lounge hours are 5-7PM and the person that works the lounge isn't too friendly and promptly removes all food (or whatever is left) at 7PM.
There is a McCormick's on the ground floor and they have an amazing happy hour from 3-6PM and 9:30-midnight. Buy a drink that's at least $2.50 and get a chicken sandwich for $1.95. They have a bunch of food items on the happy hour menu for $1.95 through $3.95.

They have covered parking and the hotel is attached to the upscale Edina mall.

My only gripe so far is that I have never gotten upgraded. I've actually haven't even gotten a preferred floor on some of my stays.
Old Jan 15, 2009, 7:33 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
anyone have any details about the suites there? me and a friend are wanting to do a random hotel for a weekend to just relax from school....
Old Feb 4, 2009, 1:24 pm

There hasn't been a decent review posted here yet, and since I've been staying there since August I thought I'd share my experiences to date.

Pros: Brand new Westin hotel with nice rooms; lots of things to do within walking distance and indoors; McCormick & Schmick's on site; nicest staff I've experienced anywhere

Cons: Too busy causing low upgrade potential; intermittent hot water and internet problems

I started staying at this hotel right after they opened in August. The location is perfect for me - I've been working in the area but can't stand the dumpy Sheraton. I had been staying in downtown Minneapolis at the Westin for my points, so when this location opened it was a godsend. I love where it's located - not on the highway like the other offerings in the area, but in a residential/retail area of Edina. It's connected to the upscale Galleria Mall, and is across the street from the Southdale Mall. It has a McCormick & Schmick's as the hotel restaurant. They have a great happy hour with food specials that's very popular and it can be hard to get in sometimes. But there are plenty of other choices you can walk to either in the Galleria or across the street at the other mall. There is a tunnel connecting to the Galleria and the adjacent parking garage which this time of year is a big plus.

Rooms are nice and new and of a good size. I love the Heavenly Beds so much I purchased my second one in December. The rooms have 37" LCD's with all HD channels. The bathrooms are huge for a hotel and have both shower stalls and tubs, though because of the design the stalls leak on the floor if the door isn't shut just so. There is both wired and wireless high speed in the guestrooms. I used to have to pay for it, but now it's included in my company's rate. The Club Floor rooms aren't any different, but you do get lounge access. Upgrades until lately were easy to get - I was upgraded to at least the Executive Floor if I didn't get a suite, which are in short supply at this property. There are only six. They have two Workout rooms that they use as upgrades - I don't like them as I prefer to get out of my room to work out and the equipment tends to crowd the room. Corner rooms are bigger with the addition of a small couch. They always give Plats access to the Club Lounge.

The Club Lounge has the just the basics for breakfast - oatmeal, fruit and pastries. Other hotels do a better job here. Evenings have what look like appetizers from the McCormick & Schmick's restaurant that's in the hotel. Coffee, soda and water are free, alcohol is charged.

The Westin Workout is beautiful. Big and bright with windows and full of brand new equipment that all works. Every piece of equipment has its own LCD TV built in, and they have a basket of ear buds handy. I find the muzak overly loud sometimes, but the volume control is on the wall. I haven't used the pool but it's bright with big windows and looks nice. Both of these are situated off the elevator landing so that you do not have to go through the lobby in your workout clothes/bathing suit.

I have stopped by the Unwind in the lobby a few times. They change it up - sometimes with a jazz guitarist; sometimes with a chair massage. They change the drink offerings around - wine bar, full bar; vodka and juice/soda bar. Again a charge, but I have been given free drinks more than once there.

The staff is super nice and always try very hard to please. They have improved in service delivery as time has gone by. And when it hasn't they have always made it right without and prompting - even to the point where I've almost been embarrassed for taking unasked for compensation for something minor. I swear they must have my picture posted somewhere because every time I walk in I'm greeted by name and welcomed back by everyone in the lobby.

There were a few problems during the first couple of weeks when they opened - TV reception was spotty, the key access to the elevators didn't work, AC didn't work, fire alarms, etc but they were soon fixed. More recently the hotel had problems with the internet and hot water the first two weeks of January. I learned from the front desk that because the hotel was full they were maxing out capacity on both. But again to show you the level of service the manager sent a letter to everyone in the hotel explaining the problems, how they were fixing them, and gave everyone a choice of points or a credit to make up for it!

At the beginning of the year my company made this an officially accepted hotel. Which means I now get all of my stay covered - before I had to pay a small portion myself. But now everyone has moved over here meaning it's more crowded and getting harder to get a decent upgrade. This week I only got a regular room, and when I questioned it the clerk who checked me in showed me their Platinum arrival report with 72 names on it. I heard someone actually getting turned away to another hotel last week. Who would have thought a suburban hotel in Minnesota in January would be full!
Old Feb 4, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: USED TO BE: DL DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz #1CGPC | NOW: SPG Lifetime Gold
Thumbs up Has re-asserted itself as a top-notch property

My colleague and I have been staying at this property starting around the end of November '08. It is a very new hotel that had some initial "growing pain" issues (intermittent hot water, and unreliable internet) however the service has always been top notch. They have since remedied these issues and I can say that the Westin Galleria in Edina is one of the best SPG properties in the Minneapolis area.

In fact, when we brought the above negative issues to the manager's attention, he compensated us with SPG points and took it upon himself to contact us when he was sure that the issues had been resolved. We're now on our second stint at this property, and it has been over a month without any negative issues. Every stay since we've been back has been an absolute treat. All the staff members know us by name and really go the extra mile to make us feel welcomed. It is a new, clean property with an excellent staff. I highly recommend this Westin.

Last edited by rkmallik; Mar 19, 2009 at 12:22 am Reason: updated
Old Mar 5, 2009, 1:07 pm

Savor the Heavenly® Bed in all its extraordinary glory in your very own home. Register now to be entered for a chance to win your very own Heavenly® Bed.

After you complete registration you will be entered to win each time you stay at The Westin Edina Galleria now through April 30, 2009. One winner will be chosen each month through April 30, 2009.

Winners will be able to have their choice of a Queen or King size pillow-top mattress and box spring to be shipped to their home at no cost.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...ml?promoID=E9G
Old Aug 11, 2009, 10:23 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Very little respect for the SPG program

At the property now. My third stay in a month here for work.

Always arrive around 930PM for an early meeting the next day, always one night stay. When arriving the clueless girls at the reception always tell me they have run out of Club Level rooms (7th floor) and Preferred Guest rooms (6th floor). I guess they don't preassign rooms here at all. Well, today I set a new record. Made it all the way up to the 5th floor. They always give access to the Executive Club though and offer the plat amenity points at check in. Property has never been close to full when I have visited.

Called down to ask for free water, no dice. Raided the club lounge on the 7th floor instead.

Hors d'oeuvre from 7-9 (according to the lady working there, or rather the lady watching TV in an empty lounge). At 945PM there was two bottles of water and one can of Pepsi left. Breakfast is from 630AM-9AM. Haven't tried any food in the lounge, will have breakfast in the morning tomorrow.

Property is brand new and very fresh.

The rooms I have received are pretty big with both tub and separate shower. One soap (of course )

So if you don't feel like staying downtown and sitting in traffic if you are conducting business in Eden Prairie, Minnetonka etc. the property is ok

Hotel restaurant is McCormick & Schmick's. They also do room service, which is great.

Close to the shopping mall, there's a Maggianos within walking distance. Also, next to the Super Target next door there's a Panera. Five Guys burgers is a 10 minute walk or 2 min. drive. Starbucks is right next door to the hotel. Free, easy parking.

Even if they don't do upgrades here at all and have very little respect for the SPG program, its all right because its so much fresher than any competing properties in this area and when our corporate rate is 105 USD incl internet and client is 10 minutes away, I'm going to keep staying here. It wouldn't hurt if Senor Lurker gave them a heads up on how the SPG program actually works though
Old Aug 12, 2009, 4:02 pm

Tracked down by the GM who has been reading Flyertalk for years

After landing back at ORD this afternoon, I had received an e-mail from the GM of this property, Marc, who had read my post, tracked me down and wanted to talk when I had time.

Got Marc on the phone and he actually knows William well and also knows the SPG program just as well as we do.

Well, the reason why there are no upgrades at the property is because of the contract with a larger consultant company who have a lot of Platinum members working there. Last night there were 112 (!!!) Platinum members staying at the property, so half of the capacity was Platinums

So he wanted to let me know they of course upgrade, but Monday through Wednesday night, expect some heavy competition from other Plats.

The rest of the week it should be easy getting an upgrade.

He also confirmed that he has informed his house keeping staff that 2 soaps is the standard a little while back and will make sure that he follows up with them.

Great customer service from the head honcho himself at this property

Last edited by tommy777; Aug 12, 2009 at 4:08 pm Reason: tpyo
Old Aug 20, 2009, 3:08 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Checked in here on the 14th August.Well how was an Aussie to know it was PGA week?Yeh all right I should have read the paper.So no suite upgrade but a larger room on club floor which was very comfortable.As well the hotel being full the lounge was opening for the weekend when normally it would be closed.So great consideration for customers by management.
As well this was booked only about 4 weeks prior to staying due to cancellation of a conference at the Mayo-yet I had no problem getting one of the nights as a free weekend award-again great for a place that was probably pretty sure by then that they would be full.
All the staff were excellent-happy,smiling but efficient.Truly enjoyed the stay.
Old Aug 21, 2009, 6:34 am

Programs: DL DM & MM, Hilton Diamond, IC Plt Amb , Marriott LTP, Hertz President's Circle
I love this property. I am from the Midwest and when I go to the MSP area, I stay either here or Sheraton Bloomington, bouncing back and forth to get stay credit. I am staying here next weekend for the MSP State Fair and was able to snag some very great rates.

The hotel is very nice, with the new Westin crispness. In my 10 or so stays here over the last year, I have always been upgraded to a corner suite here at least 9 out of the 10 times. The staff is just wonderful, polite, and professional.

I always bump into one of the day managers, Andrais (sp?), who goes out of his way to make you feel welcome and accommodate the needs of a Plat.

As was stated by a previous poster, there are many things to enjoy in the area for restaurants, shopping, and other little ditties.

My favorite hotel in the MSP area, hands down. ^
Old Aug 25, 2009, 7:29 pm

Well, NWAsilvELITE, I think I have to agree with you...

Checked in for another stay at this property on a Tuesday and I'm blown away by the improvement in just two weeks. Yeah, the GM might have put an extra effort to get me upgraded this time, but he didn't know that I had 5 colleagues staying in 5 different rooms tonight, most without status, and I'm happy to say that there has been improvements across the board, not just for my suite.
  • All rooms had multiple soaps, I got 3 in one of my bathrooms, one in the powder room. Free water in all Preferred members rooms.
  • The front desk staff were courteous and welcomed me back and told me that they had saved a King Suite for me.
  • The lounge was fully stocked at 645PM with nice cheese, crackers, veggies, dip and a hot chicken course with chili sause. Alcohol at a nominal fee and plenty of free soft drinks and water

Let's talk about the King Suite I got upgraded to. (pics to follow when I get home) The suite is just amazing. Of course brand new with huge windows, separate dining and living room. One powder room, separate bathroom and separate bedroom. 32" in the bedroom, 42" in the living room and of course with a Bose full stereo in the living room. The only thing missing is the Bose Wave clock radio with ipod doc in the bedroom

So I was lucky today and got a great upgrade, but if you arrive on a Thursday through Sunday, you are almost certain to get one of these fabulous suites as a plat.

^^ waaaaay up, Westin Edina. Can't wait to come back in 3 weeks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.