Search

Fly By Security Lanes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2008, 6:19 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Fly By Security Lanes

We have what I think will be welcome changes for many of you coming up in the near future, and I wanted y'all to be among the first to know about this. We will soon be implementing a priority security lane program at our Stations. The program will be branded “Fly By” Priority Security Lane Access, and will be available for use by our Business Select Customers and Rapid Rewards A-List Members.

To enter the Fly By Security Lane, a Customer will need to show one of two credentials: 1. A-List Members will show their A-List identification card (which will be in our A-List Members’ homes by Oct. 1st). 2. Customers who purchase Business Select will show their boarding passes (which will have “Business Select” printed on most front-end applications by October 17th).

In most cases, the Fly By lane will not have dedicated screening equipment, but will allow the Customer to reach the screening process more quickly.

Fly By will not be available at all Southwest Airlines airports, but we plan to have lanes at the majority of our airports in the near future. The following is a list of Stations where Fly By will be available on October 17th:

DAL, PHX, SNA, DEN, SFO, LAX

Last edited by SWABrian; Sep 25, 2008 at 9:23 am
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:48 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Sweet! I knew I wasn't seeing things in DEN 2 weeks ago! Its already active there (at least for BS).
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:54 am

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
Originally Posted by SWABrian
We have what I think will be welcome changes for many of you coming up in the near future, and I wanted y'all to be among the first to know about this. We will soon be implementing a priority security lane program at our Stations. The program will be branded “Fly By” Priority Security Lane Access, and will be available for use by our Business Select Customers and Rapid Rewards A-List Members.

To enter the Fly By Security Lane, a Customer will need to show one of two credentials: 1. A-List Members will show their A-List identification card (which will be in our A-List Members’ homes by Oct. 1st). 2. Customers who purchas Business Select will show their boarding passes (which will have “Business Select” printed on most front-end applications by October 17th).

In most cases, the Fly By lane will not have dedicated screening equipment, but will allow the Customer to reach the screening process more quickly.

Fly By will not be available at all Southwest Airlines airports, but we plan to have lanes at the majority of our airports in the near future. The following is a list of Stations where Fly By will be available on October 17th:

DAL, PHX, SNA, DEN, SFO, LAX
Based on this my Clear Card still has more benefits, value and more airports.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 7:57 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Nice perk for A-List! Thanks for the heads up, Brian.

Do you happen to have a list of other future airports or is that still in the works?

Originally Posted by loboclone
Based on this my Clear Card still has more benefits, value and more airports.
Jeez, they just launched it, and unlike your Clear Card this isn't an extra charge...just another perk of RR. I don't know what the huge issue is.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:11 am

Programs: rapid rewards
My husband is an A-lister and I am his "companion" on his companion pass. Will I be able to use this new lane as well?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:16 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
This plugs one of the three most biggest holes in the RR program. We know that international redemption is on the way. The third, availability of upgrades to F, is being squeezed down by the legacy airlines themselves.

SWABrian, you guys moved much faster on this one than I ever expected. Congratulations!
Old Sep 25, 2008, 8:24 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by waveandwen
My husband is an A-lister and I am his "companion" on his companion pass. Will I be able to use this new lane as well?
Not the way I read it.

I have no problem with separate boarding for companions of CP holders, but separate screening and possibly missing the flight is another matter. That devalues the benefit for the CP holder.

My suggestion: Southwest should allow anyone named on a companion pass (either the CP holder or the companion) to use the priority screening line by showing the white plastic CP card. This will make money for Southwest as people reach for the magic 100 credits.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 9:22 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
dwebb,
As I mentioned we want the lanes at the majority of airports we serve, and we will roll it out as quickly as possible. I don't have a specific list other than the airports named above.

waveandwen: Unfortunately, the Fly By Lanes only apply to the A-List Companion Pass Holder and not the Companion.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: WN A List
SWABrian
I share the concern re the CP passengers not being entitled to this process and ask if you can forward our requests to corporate. As established it seems to diminish the attractiveness of the CP program for those of us who travel extensively. Thanks.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by Capt. V
As established it seems to diminish the attractiveness of the CP program for those of us who travel extensively. Thanks.
I disagree. It certainly adds value to BS and A-List but does not diminish CP. After all, CP is something that can be earned without flying.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 11:13 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
By the way, not that it makes much difference for the days/times that we fly but I am excited about seeing this rolled out in SJC, ONT and MDW soon. ^
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:01 pm

Programs: rapid rewards
My husband and I fly LAX-DEN quite a bit and since I can't use the new lane, as the companion, it will suck!! If you are an A-lister and a Companion Pass holder then you do fly a lot. You can earn CP without flying but not the A-list status. And really, on a given day, how many companions, with A-listers, can there really be? I dont think allowing us companions to use this lane will really significantly change the amount of people using the lane.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by waveandwen
I dont think allowing us companions to use this lane will really significantly change the amount of people using the lane.
Well, it certainly couldn't be more than twice as many!

I'll go out on a limb and support Southwest on this one based on the slippery slope problem. Once companions qualify, then the squalling will start from those who do qualify who want to drag their entourage of family, friends or business colleagues through with them as well. After all, it's just a "few more". What difference could that possibly make???
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:24 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by GoSpurs
I'll go out on a limb and support Southwest on this one based on the slippery slope problem. Once companions qualify, then the squalling will start from those who do qualify who want to drag their entourage of family, friends or business colleagues through with them as well. After all, it's just a "few more". What difference could that possibly make???
I do understand your concern, but I think the CP isn't a huge issue. I may be mistaken, but isn't the companion under the same reservation as the holder?
Old Sep 25, 2008, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by dwebb
I may be mistaken, but isn't the companion under the same reservation as the holder?
No. For reasons I don't understand, they are on a separate PNR and therefore require separate check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.