Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA accidentally triple charged and now sends transportation voucher !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC

Welcome to AA !

After purchasing a ticket for my sister recently AA charged me the triple amount of the ticket price after several calls to reservations since the train tickets needed to be added. However the ticket was supposed to be a paper ticket. Suddenly an e-ticket confirmation arrived with the new price of 3x the total

Called AA, on the phone for about 1:10 h and the final answer they cant do anything and to call back next day. Did that and they told me everything would be fine. Ticket should be picked up at the airport. Well, then a look on my Bank Account confirms they took the full overcharge. Another call to AA, they would refund me but it could take weeks.

Then at the airport nobody knows of anything regarding a reissue, 2 agents and a supervisor had no clue and refused to call the rate desk. So my sister flies to FRA without the train tickets and asks the staff there to reissue the ticket. We got the PNR printed by the agent in LAX and it definetely shows QYG as segment. So they print her 2 cupons but it says now Accessrail Inc instead of DB German Rail. Result: She had to buy a new train ticket for a full price of 126 EUR

Few days later I open my mail and find a transportation voucher from AA for the difference. So instead of giving me my money back they send me a voucher ! I'm not a lawyer but this cant be legal, after all it is their fault.

So I called my Bank to dispute the charge and got the money back into my account. Also I sent the voucher with a nice letter per FedEx to the Executive Offices.

Thankfully the passenger reciept shows the correct fare so I have my proof.

What a bunch of idiots... Now that I dumped AA for myself and have my family members burning my eVIP's I thought there wouldnt be any headache anymore. Wrong, obviously
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:13 pm

The bank reversal was the right way to go. You should have done that the split second they told you to call back tomorrow.

However, keep in mind that AA can dispute the chargeback also and get it back with very little wrangling on their part so keep an eye on your bank balances.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WingNaPrayer
The bank reversal was the right way to go. You should have done that the split second they told you to call back tomorrow.

However, keep in mind that AA can dispute the chargeback also and get it back with very little wrangling on their part so keep an eye on your bank balances.
Well they asked me to send documentation for my claim which I will. Problem was that the charge was very high and that particular (WaMu) account doesnt hold much balance so about 4 payments were returned. I dont even know how could AA authoririze that amount and the Bank cant answer that either. I copied the statement and sent it to AA for compensation (4x35$) plus the expense the respective merchants charged. I already smell another SCC filing here !
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.3MM, WN A+/CP, HH DIA, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
Another reason why I ONLY use credit cards. A lot easier and a lot less stressful when you're paying with the bank's money (until, of course, you pay off the card statement when it arrives).
Old Oct 1, 2008, 8:23 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Ridiculous! They can't do anything about overcharging you. Baloney. Of course they can refund your money. And they should certainly be liable for the overdrafts they they directly caused. It's too bad that you didn't use a credit card, as mentioned. It makes fighting idiocy like this so much easier.

Oh yeah, and your Wamu account will be a Chase account soon enough, just like mine

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
Ridiculous! They can't do anything about overcharging you. Baloney. Of course they can refund your money. And they should certainly be liable for the overdrafts they they directly caused. It's too bad that you didn't use a credit card, as mentioned. It makes fighting idiocy like this so much easier.

Oh yeah, and your Wamu account will be a Chase account soon enough, just like mine

Cheers.
If they dont pay every cent of this we will end up at the SCC again... very easy !

Yep, back to Chase after moving away from DTW. They were ok, I'm not a WaMu customer for very long, actually just 3 months. At least we can get a few new Mileage Debit Cards soon
Old Oct 2, 2008, 3:40 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I would be livid!!!

Amazing how in 2008 simple transactions can't be easily reversed. They can charge you in a split second, but it takes 1-2 billing cycles to get the money back, and that is IF you get money back.

Keep us posted on how this develops
Old Oct 2, 2008, 6:45 am

Programs: AA PLT
and they could have done some damage to your credit history
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by EchoIndia
and they could have done some damage to your credit history
How?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:39 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Deltahater
Amazing how in 2008 simple transactions can't be easily reversed. They can charge you in a split second, but it takes 1-2 billing cycles to get the money back, and that is IF you get money back.
They can be reversed by most companies. AA are just way behind the times. Even the cases where I've been told "1-2 billing cycles" the refund has always posted as fast as the charge. It really is very easy to do this. And I have a feeling that AA are capable...it's just beneficial to them to give you a voucher, even when it's completely their screw-up.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
They can be reversed by most companies. AA are just way behind the times. Even the cases where I've been told "1-2 billing cycles" the refund has always posted as fast as the charge. It really is very easy to do this. And I have a feeling that AA are capable...it's just beneficial to them to give you a voucher, even when it's completely their screw-up.

Cheers.
Exactly. They are freaking morons and I applaud everytime someone sues the **** out of them
Old Oct 2, 2008, 2:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Exactly. They are freaking morons and I applaud everytime someone sues the **** out of them
Well, I wouldn't go that far. I do want them to survive (even thrive) so that I can enjoy my status and miles with them. Of course, sometimes this is the only way to make them see reason, but I'm hard-pressed to take joy in their misfortune. Of course, they haven't triple-charged me yet.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
Well, I wouldn't go that far. I do want them to survive (even thrive) so that I can enjoy my status and miles with them. Of course, sometimes this is the only way to make them see reason, but I'm hard-pressed to take joy in their misfortune. Of course, they haven't triple-charged me yet.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by jrockway
How?
read the OP's second message:

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
...Problem was that the charge was very high and that particular (WaMu) account doesnt hold much balance so about 4 payments were returned ... (4x35$) plus the expense the respective merchants charged.
Having payments bouncing (or exceeding your agreed credit limit) can be bad for your credit score.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well now as some of you have stated I got a letter from WaMu that they dont accept the claim because of "insufficent information".

Wonder what else than the ticket reciept with 1/3 of the price they want

I called the bank and they asked for a copy of AA's cancellation policy etc. So I said this is not a cancellation issue as I went on this trip. It was overcharge. Still the bank monkey on the phone didnt get it.

So I emptied out my account at WaMu completely and it might go badly into minus the day they reverse it (supposely the 25th). Well I dont care !

So this will go to court again.

Any idea if I can do this in germany as well or will I have to do that in the US since my trip started in LAX ?

Problem with Small Claims Court is that I alway have to be present at the weirdest times. A lawyer in the U.S. is way too expensive while in germany they have a general fee schedule. I dont want to pay money upfront for a lawyer in excessive amounts

Thanks,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.