Community
Wiki Posts
Search

white birch beer?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
white birch beer?

Anyone ever tried white birch beer? I've never tried it, but Mr. Kipper insists it's really outstanding.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I tried it once-at a food fair in Montreal.
Very tasty-but it does taste like a tree.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 7:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I tried it once-at a food fair in Montreal.
Very tasty-but it does taste like a tree.
And a tree is tasty?
Old Oct 1, 2008, 9:26 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
Does Mr. Kipper call it "white birch beer"? It's very popular in New England but usually just called "birch beer". I like it....it's got a lighter taste than root beer. They sell it in convenience stores between the ginger ale and the pepsi.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 9:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There's a hot dot place in Cheshire, CT (Blackies) that has it on tap. Fanta makes it, probably just for them, they sell more Birch Beer (two taps on each fountain) then coke and diet coke at one tap each. I like it.
Old Oct 1, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: CO PPlus, Amex Platinum, DL Silver Medallion, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
There's a hot dot place in Cheshire, CT (Blackies) that has it on tap.
Yeah, I like the generic label they have.

I took my wife there last Christmas while going with my mom to Costco. My wife thought it was "ok". Then again, she's a native Texan and they have no idea what a good hot dog is here. I've been known to bring back a ten pound box of Martin Rosol's from time to time to try and culture these people....
Old Oct 1, 2008, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by Duhey2
...she's a native Texan and they have no idea what a good hot dog is here.....
that cause there is no such thing as a good hotdog, ANYWHERE!

now a brat can be yum
(and I am a Texan)
Old Oct 2, 2008, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by cordelli
There's a hot dot place in Cheshire, CT (Blackies) that has it on tap. Fanta makes it, probably just for them, they sell more Birch Beer (two taps on each fountain) then coke and diet coke at one tap each. I like it.
Blackies is dope.

Foxon Park (another CT company) makes a good birch beer. I know Louis Lunch serves it.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by thelark
Blackies is dope.

Foxon Park (another CT company) makes a good birch beer. I know Louis Lunch serves it.
I live in the New Haven Area and buy Foxon Park by the case. I love the smell of Birch Beer!
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:35 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
I've seen clear birch beer (is that what you mean by 'white'?) from Polar but not tried it; I'm more familiar with the brown-colored stuff made and sold in the mid-Atlantic states by several soft drink manufacturers.

The flavor of birch beer, while similar to root beer, is different enough that I wouldn't consider the two 'six of one, half-dozen of the other'.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I have also tried(and enjoyed)Spruce beer-which is very "piney"I don't think it would be my regular beverage but it is different.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I have also tried(and enjoyed)Spruce beer-which is very "piney"I don't think it would be my regular beverage but it is different.
Not to be confused with Alaskan Winter Ale; it's a beer spiced with spruce tips.

From Alaskan's website:

From the seafaring adventurers of the 1700s to the homebrewers of today, adding spruce tips to beer has a rich history in Southeast Alaska. The tender new growth of Sitka spruce tips lends a delicious, yet subtly sweet floral aroma to tea, jelly and now Alaskan Winter Ale.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
So, uhm, it's non-alcoholic?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
Not to be confused with Alaskan Winter Ale; it's a beer spiced with spruce tips.

From Alaskan's website:

From the seafaring adventurers of the 1700s to the homebrewers of today, adding spruce tips to beer has a rich history in Southeast Alaska. The tender new growth of Sitka spruce tips lends a delicious, yet subtly sweet floral aroma to tea, jelly and now Alaskan Winter Ale.
What, no moose chips???
Old Oct 2, 2008, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1.5 Million Mile flyer, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz 5* and PC since 1985
Originally Posted by greggwiggins
I've seen clear birch beer (is that what you mean by 'white'?) from Polar but not tried it; I'm more familiar with the brown-colored stuff made and sold in the mid-Atlantic states by several soft drink manufacturers.

The flavor of birch beer, while similar to root beer, is different enough that I wouldn't consider the two 'six of one, half-dozen of the other'.
White is clear.
I have seen it as an Amber also

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.