Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

TSA Likely to Relax Restrictions on Liquids in 2009

Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:44 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member

http://blogs.wsj.com/middleseat/2008...quids-in-2009/

Too good to be true?

THE MIDDLE SEAT TERMINAL
Tracking and unpacking the world of travel
October 2, 2008, 12:19 pm
Posted by Scott McCartney

The Transportation Security Administration will likely relax the restrictions on carrying liquids through airport security screening checkpoints in a year, TSA Chief Kip Hawley said in an interview.

“I think realistically in one year we, the TSA and foreign colleagues, will be a position” to relax liquids restrictions,” Hawley told the Middle Seat Thursday. “We are within a year of having the ability to differentiate threat liquids through the screening process.”

TSA has been testing X-ray machines that can detect liquid materials used in bomb-making and the technology is close to be ready for widespread use. The X-ray machines themselves are already widely deployed in the U.S., but the software necessary for the liquids detection and evaluation is still being tested.

Once it’s ready, it can be rolled out quickly not only in the U.S. but also in Europe and other countries.

“We’ve seen it work in labs and we’ve had very positive communications with international colleagues,” Mr. Hawley said. Just this week the U.S. has had several days of meetings on the issue with the European Union.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
About time to stop this "war on liquids" at Airports.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
The software seems to be tested and in place for Japanese liquids scanners. WTH?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: NWA Platinum, HHonors Diamond, SPG, YX, AA
Talking points from Kip desperate-to-keep-his-job Hawley trying to show he's making "progress." I hope he is the first person publicly fired and humilated after McCain or Obama take office.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I agree. It sounds like a politically-motivated, not security-motivated, initiative.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The state of matter hasn't changed, and the technology is available today. But if we wait a little while longer it'll get into next year's budget so we can spend more money then. Right??

Don't get me wrong. I'll be happy to see this ridiculous rule go away, but I'd rather see it happen with legitimate reasoning.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by MKEbound
Talking points from Kip desperate-to-keep-his-job Hawley trying to show he's making "progress." I hope he is the first person publicly fired and humilated after McCain or Obama take office.
IMO no way Hawley's going to keep his job (probably doesn't want to anyway), but I suspect he is trying to preserve some sort of legacy.

Regardless of if Obama or McCain wins, hopefully the TSA successor will have the political cover to make some immediate fixes--such as lowering the aviation threat level to yellow after DHS/TSA has left it at orange for 2+ years for no apparent reason other than fear mongering.

By making such statements now, Hawley will look like less of an idiot if his successor quickly drops the war-on-water.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: Former UA 1P
Originally Posted by sbm12
Don't get me wrong. I'll be happy to see this ridiculous rule go away, but I'd rather see it happen with legitimate reasoning.
"Legitimate reasoning" would almost certainly have to include the statement "we overreacted to a half-baked plot with dubious feasibility," so that's unlikely to happen.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 11:58 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
5 weeks before the election. Of course this is politically motivated.

I fully expect to see the TSA spin machine wind up in high gear over the next 5 weeks.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Kippie’s already been joking that his successor should register a web domain as *name*IsAnIdiot.com, so I don’t think he’s going to be sticking around.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
ISTR I've heard this before (removing restrictions in a year).

<sigh>
Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
The state of matter hasn't changed, and the technology is available today. But if we wait a little while longer it'll get into next year's budget so we can spend more money then. Right??

Government's new fiscal year started yesterday, so the money should be there now. No need to wait until 2009.

Kippie will be in a position to relax liquids? Didn't think he'd be in any position much past Jan 20, 2009. Maybe he's thinking his successor will the balls to do what he wouldn't?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 12:49 pm

Is this politically motivated, of course. Kippie is gone no matter what the outcome of the election, and he can take his liquid restrictions with him. If the technology is there, test it and lets use it, I want to be able to bring a bottle of water through again without getting jacked for 2-3 bucks per past security. I bet those airport vendors with their water and soda coolers are lobbying against this.

Last edited by Spence1097; Oct 2, 2008 at 12:50 pm Reason: spelling
Old Oct 2, 2008, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I was given information that Canada is about to completely drop its restrictions on liquids and gels - and given the potential impact on trans-border flights, this news sent the TSA into a flurry. I think there is mounting pressure from other governments as well to stop this insanity.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA 1k
It's a software upgrade to the X-ray machines ?
Well whatever....better late than never, and better than having to replace all x-ray machines.
Some airports still have old black & white displays though.

I'd rather they work on ways we can keep our shoes on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.