Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Republic beginning inter-island service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG

The Advertiser has an article here. I like it when people say "well-financed." It's a nice way of saying "able to afford a fare war to kill off the competition." That could be the end of go!.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by finlandia
The Advertiser has an article here. I like it when people say "well-financed." It's a nice way of saying "able to afford a fare war to kill off the competition." That could be the end of go!.
Or the end of WP. E170s would be a nice aircraft though to fly interisland...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 1:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
This would be great. Anybody but go!.

As slippahs stated, this could put a big hurt on WP, and I wouldn't like to see that. But I have felt that the E170 is a perfect aircraft for the interisland market, and would be excited to see them operated here. Would like to see some competition brought back into the market.(but don't need $9, $19, $29, $39 fares)

Would make sense as frontier canceled their contract with republic this year. (admittedly I haven't been keeping up with republics contracts and aircraft utilization)

They seem like a decent outfit(from my UA codeshares on them), not as classy as HA, but light years ahead of Mesa/go!.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

I wonder about that start date in November, though. That's the middle of the low winter season. There will be a spike around Christmas/New Years, but otherwise it's going to be quiet until May. Especially with tourism down. I would think they'd be better off starting in time to catch the college kids in May and then rolling into the summer peak.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by finlandia
I wonder about that start date in November, though. That's the middle of the low winter season. There will be a spike around Christmas/New Years, but otherwise it's going to be quiet until May. Especially with tourism down. I would think they'd be better off starting in time to catch the college kids in May and then rolling into the summer peak.
I think it's possible the Nov. 15 date means that's when they have aircraft becoming available.(end of an express contract with one of the majors?) I'd think it extremely unlikely that they'd be up and running by Nov. 15 given all the logistical issues, dot approval, etc.

"quiet" is relative. I believe there's room for more decent* capacity in the market.

I smile when I think about how it appears that Mokulele is telling Mesa/Ornstein to shove it. I envision another one of his tirades at the PHX crystal palace.

*-non-go!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:12 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
I think it's possible the Nov. 15 date means that's when they have aircraft becoming available.(end of an express contract with one of the majors?) I'd think it extremely unlikely that they'd be up and running by Nov. 15 given all the logistical issues, dot approval, etc.

"quiet" is relative. I believe there's room for more decent* capacity in the market.

I smile when I think about how it appears that Mokulele is telling Mesa/Ornstein to shove it. I envision another one of his tirades at the PHX crystal palace.

*-non-go!
All crew members that want HNL have to be able to be in place on 11/15. Our base officially opens on 1/1/09. They are only using 4 airplanes to start (the last of the F9 planes that were being used as spares). Also these flights will be operated by S5 not RW. We at RAH will know more in the coming days...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by cwe84
All crew members that want HNL have to be able to be in place on 11/15. Our base officially opens on 1/1/09. They are only using 4 airplanes to start (the last of the F9 planes that were being used as spares). Also these flights will be operated by S5 not RW. We at RAH will know more in the coming days...
^
Old Oct 9, 2008, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Now the question is how local will this airline be. Granted, it'll be operated under the Mokulele name but does that mean much?

Can we be assured that these pilots won't fall asleep? And what terminal will they be operating out of? There's a few gates in the old AQ terminal that's available, no?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 5:23 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd hope/expect that they will operate out of the Inter-Island terminal in some of the old AQ gates. Operations out of the commuter terminal are less than optimal for transiting passengers from the overseas flights.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
I'd hope/expect that they will operate out of the Inter-Island terminal in some of the old AQ gates. Operations out of the commuter terminal are less than optimal for transiting passengers from the overseas flights.
Except that Hawaiian is now using the old Aloha gates at HNL
Old Oct 9, 2008, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

But not all of them....
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Best of luck to your folks, cwe84. I might get to catch one of your flights if I can make it home in January.
Old Oct 10, 2008, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by slippahs
Guess you're right and republic could operate out of the alley, gates 49-51.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
One of my friends just got hired by RAH in Hawai'i for inflight. I'm hearing the planes will have first class and coach, so I'm thinking that Mokulele is getting some Delta birds that are being replaced with the E175s.

I'm also hearing about 2 codeshares.... I'm wondering if the airlines are salivating at the idea of partnering up with an airline that could potentially give JO the finger... I'm keeping my fingers crossed they make a deal with one of the SkyTeam partners so I can keep my miles!

I'd rather fly the E170 than Hawaiians 717s, I hate lines and waiting, which is one reason I did like go!, but now go! is nothing more than a regular carrier to me.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Interesting notation on the bottom of this Mokulele Airlines page:

http://www.mokuleleairlines.com/fleet.html

Haven't you always wanted to fly First Class well now you can! Introducing the new Mokulele Airlines Royalty Reward Club Card program. With lots of benefits, it's an exceptional alternative to other airlines' mileage plans.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.