Wiki Posts
Search

Rank the value of miles on the 6 legacy carriers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Rank the value of miles on the 6 legacy carriers

My order:

AA: I consider these to be the best by far. They seem to have the best availability, although on certain routes UA can either be much better or much worse. Free stopovers with open jaw, minimal fees except phone booking fee is often needed.

UA: Lower prices to Asia and Europe then Skyteam. Better availability with more partners then skyteam. Horrible booking engine leads to many ohone booking fees.

CO: bad availability on own metal, but DL and NW options make it somewhat better. Don't have as many surcharges as DL and NW so the finished ahead. I don like that you can book partner awards online.

NW: Probably used to be third. I like that you could book online and not pay late booking fee and that you could book partners. However they seem to have higher surcharges not that they are with DL, so I bumped CO ahead.

DL: Have to pay fee to book on partners. Various surcharges. Poor availability. They seem to be leading the race to the bottom.

US: awful availability on own metal. Have to pay partenr booking fee and phone booking fee to use partners.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:02 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
My order of value....

Is exactly the same as the OP.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
The few data points I have confirms at least the relative ranking of UA, CO, and US.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: National Executive Elite, none of the others matter
Despite the fees and the new tier (which hasn't been a problem yet), I would transpose DL and NW for miles but I would keep the order for benefits of status.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat For Life/UA Million Miler-PremEx For Life/SPG Gold
Slight OT..... some foreign programs offer some redemptions not available with any USA programs.

domestic R/T
QF (QANTAS) 16K r/t on AA (under 1.8K mileage cap)
QR (Qatar) 15K r/t on UA (under 2k mileage cap)
CX (Cathay ) 15K r/t on AA (under 1.2K mileage cap)

domestic O/W
AF (Air France) 12.5K on NW (no mileage cap)
CX (Cathay) 10K on AA (under 1.2K mileage cap)
QF (QANTAS) 8K on AA (under 1.8K mileage cap)
BD (bmi) 7.5K plus 50 GBP on UA, US, AC (no mileage cap)
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I value my CO miles the highest, since I can transfer them to Amtrak, and always get 2˘-4˘ per mile with them, with no capacity controls.

(I don't considering valuing miles based on their ability to purchase a C/J/F seat to be valid, since I would not otherwise be buying the seat with $$$.)
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A festering pit; a pustule of a fistula set athwart the miasmic swamps of the armpit of the Gulf of Mexico - a Godforsaken wart upon a dark crevasse of the World. (IAH)
Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold
Agree with the OP. Also, it's not like CO has improved NonePass. It just seems that DL/NW have sunk to new lows.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 12:48 pm

I think CO has the edge because they are due to become part of Star Alliance.

Being able to book awards on SQ, NH, NZ, LH, LX, TG, etc. is much better than OneWorld, IMHO.

YMMV.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
IMO, this seems to be largely a theoretical discussion.

Whenever I go to the CC, the solicitations for trades for every major domestic carrier always seem to be 1:1. Perhaps, when the horse trading occurs behind the scenes, US and DL owners have to ante up 100k miles to get 90K AA miles, but you would never know that based on the CC postings.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Isnt this a bit mistitled ?

These are only US carriers
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Isnt this a bit mistitled ?

These are only US carriers
Hence the name "6 legacy carriers" in the title...
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Pretty much agree with the ranking by the OP. Except, I would change the ranking of the top two when the member is Executive Platinum or 1K.

United seems to pull out all stops to accommodate 1Ks, while with AA status doesn't seem to matter as to availability. For 1ks with UA, redeposit and change fees on award tickets are waived offering much greater flexibility.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
IMO, this seems to be largely a theoretical discussion.

Whenever I go to the CC, the solicitations for trades for every major domestic carrier always seem to be 1:1. Perhaps, when the horse trading occurs behind the scenes, US and DL owners have to ante up 100k miles to get 90K AA miles, but you would never know that based on the CC postings.
I disagree. Very rarely will you see a 1:1 trade of DL:UA or DL:AA miles. UA and AA miles are worth at least 1.5x DL/NW/CO miles.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by TJtv
I disagree. Very rarely will you see a 1:1 trade of DL:UA or DL:AA miles. UA and AA miles are worth at least 1.5x DL/NW/CO miles.
A review of CC reveals the following:

October 6:

H: 25K DL Miles, W: 25K UA Miles ASAP

October 2:

W: 45k AA (or any OW) H: 40-50k NW

September 20:

H: 25 K NW W: 25 K UA or AA

September 20:

H: Ua 50k w: Nw 52.5k (Gratuitous Comment: We're getting closer to your 1:1.5 ratio)

September 12:

H: 60K DL or CO, W: 60K UA
Old Oct 8, 2008, 9:58 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat.
1-AA
2-US
3-UA
4-CO/NW
5-DL

UA blocks availability on *A partners in F and C. I use miles only for international premium cabins.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.