Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Left Foot: Getting Hurt @ ORD Admiral's Club...Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2M, Delta Flying Col., US Air Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz Pres.Cir.
My Left Foot: Getting Hurt @ ORD Admiral's Club...Suggestions?

Last Thursday my family and I were in the ORD club waiting for our connection to ATL. My wife had stored our carry-ons in one of the club's storage closets. As time approached for departure, I went to retrieve these bags. Well, as the door swung open, the bottom of it caught the big toe on my left foot (I was wearing sandals) and ripped it [toenail] off.

To say it was painful would be an understatement.

I quickly applied some bar napkins to stop/cover the bleeding. After some running around by club staffers, the situation was quickly under control...thanks to Michael, a supervisor. He called the paramedics, who arrived quickly and took care of the situation. Premium Services' agent Rachelle then provided a cart to get me and my family to our gate.

I'm sending a letter to AA customer service to commend these two employees for their compassion and professionalism. My wife says that I should also write to ask for some compensation for my injury.

As an aside, about 60 miles out of ORD we turned back to the airport due to a mechanical. We swapped equipment in ORD, and after transferring passengers and bags, were on our way. I noticed yesterday that 3,000 bonus miles were placed in my AA account to compensate for this delay.

So, what do you think? Should I ask for some compensation for my toe[nail]?

Last edited by Plato90s; Oct 25, 2008 at 6:54 am Reason: subsequent clarification by OP
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: AA CK EXP 3MM, National EE, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by mrviognier
So, what do you think? Should I ask for some compensation for my toe?
No
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:54 am

Your wife must be a lawyer.

Sorry to learn of your injury. My suggestion is to be more careful next time.
Flying is tough enough as it is.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:54 am

So you hurt yourself when opening the door and expect compensation from AA??
Old Oct 16, 2008, 7:56 am

Having lost toenails when running marathons, all I can say is ouch and you have my empathy.

It sounds like the club staff and some of Chicago's finest took excellent care of you. I am not sure if any compensation is due beyond what was already done. My only suggestion would be to ice the toe.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Well, as the door swung open, the bottom of it caught the big toe on my left foot (I was wearing sandals) and ripped it off.
Wow, your toe was ripped off and you still flew! So do you only have 4 toes on your left foot!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
No. What you should do is rethink your choice of appropriate footwear for flying, given your apparent hand to eye coordination.

Originally Posted by DataPlumber
Having lost toenails when running marathons, all I can say is ouch and you have my empathy.

It sounds like the club staff and some of Chicago's finest took excellent care of you. I am not sure if any compensation is due beyond what was already done. My only suggestion would be to ice the toe.
OP never discusses his toenail. He says repeatedly that he ripped his big toe off. Quite a feat, normally that would be pretty difficult. Presumably, the medical personnel iced the spot where the toe had been attached to the foot.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can you articulate anything that AA should have done differently that would have prevented your injury?

Other than removing the closets, for instance.

If you can't succinctly describe AA's negligence leading up to the injury to your toe, then you're entitled to nothing from AA.

I've opened those closet doors dozens (if not hundreds) of times and I've never ripped off a big toe. Sorry to hear it happened to you.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by gemac
OP never discusses his toenail. He says repeatedly that he ripped his big toe off. Quite a feat, normally that would be pretty difficult. Presumably, the medical personnel iced the spot where the toe had been attached to the foot.
I presumed it was just nail, although the CFD paramedics are that good!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booo, big bad company that built those closets! Waaa waaa waa waaa.

You get my point of view, but really great of you to recognize the employees who helped out what some klutz did to him/herself (wearing sandals when traveling? As an EXP, you should know better!!)
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:21 am

Programs: aa plat in funkytown tx
why ask for compensation? maybe aa should ask for compensation from you for bleeding all over the place.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Is your wife a lawyer? I think the fact that you are asking on here whether it would be appropriate to ask for compensation means you don't think you are entitled to any and I agree. Don't tarnish a nice letter of thanks with the C word.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yet another example of the victim mentality that sadly pervades this country...
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:33 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by LeifurEriksson
So you hurt yourself when opening the door and expect compensation from AA??
Give the poor guy a break ! This is America. Blaming others is easier than taking responsibility for your own actions and consequences.

cheers,

-j
Old Oct 16, 2008, 8:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA 0.7MM
Sorry to hear about your injury.

You should hire a expensive lawyer and file a lawsuit against yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.