Search

Free Wifi in OAK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 7:10 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Free Wifi in OAK

This morning for the first time in several weeks I had a few minutes and stopped to turn on the laptop. Much to my surprise the infrastructure signal said: OAKFREEWIFI. And it is indeed free. I hope this is a permanent change.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 7:42 am

I was there yesterday and noticed it as well. There were not other wireless networks available. I was skeptical that it could be a "honeypot" but went ahead and used it anyway.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 9:23 am

That's great. All we need is SFO to hop on board to complete the trifecta
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: SWA CP
Originally Posted by nsx
This morning for the first time in several weeks I had a few minutes and stopped to turn on the laptop. Much to my surprise the infrastructure signal said: OAKFREEWIFI. And it is indeed free. I hope this is a permanent change.
It worked OK for me last night, although the connection is really slow (about 56K). I was moving some big files around, and it seemed like I was back in 1998.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: WN CP
All things considered, being back in 1998 right now might not be so bad.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 9:30 am
In Memoriam - Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Southwest spokesperson
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
All things considered, being back in 1998 right now might not be so bad.
Where were you in '62?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:33 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by SWSNA
It worked OK for me last night, although the connection is really slow (about 56K). I was moving some big files around, and it seemed like I was back in 1998.
Well, that is about 55K faster than the free WIFI at Kansas City.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:37 am
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by SWSNA
It worked OK for me last night, although the connection is really slow (about 56K). I was moving some big files around
The other users thought it was slow too. They were moving some big files around.

I had some trouble getting an IP address from the network. That might have been due to congestion as well.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 11:15 am

Here to stay?

Wow. Free wifi would be a real plus at OAK (even if it's a bit slow) ^. Does anyone know if this is a permanent feature or some sort of unannounced pilot program (that may or may not last)?
Old Oct 21, 2008, 8:03 pm

Free internet is on the way!
Looks like Oakland Port Authority was entering a 3 year agreement.

Wed October 22, 2008
inflightout.com
(advance post)

FreeFi Networks, Inc., the new WiFi service provider at Oakland International Airport, is in the process of rolling out free WiFi service throughout the airport. Oakland Airport spokesperson Joanne Holloway said the wireless technology is being rolled out in phases. By the end of this week, Gates 20-24and 29-32 in Terminal 2 should be up and running.

The FreeFi Network is known for their ad-based model of WiFi, allowing users free Internet usage provided they can sit through a brief series of advertisements. Although Oakland Airport officials have not said what, if any, type of advertising will we bundled into the free service, there is a general consensus it will be unobtrusive and fairly-low key, based on feedback from other FreeFi clients.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:45 pm

Free W-Fi in SW Cities

Does anyone have a list of SWA cities that have free wifi? Might be good for SWA to post on their web site- - - ?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by penguin1
Does anyone have a list of SWA cities that have free wifi? Might be good for SWA to post on their web site- - - ?
This is the thread I recall as an attempt at creating/maintaining a WN-city WiFi list. A more up-to-date, yet still incomplete, resource is jaunted.com's Airport WiFi Map.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 4:02 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by penguin1
Does anyone have a list of SWA cities that have free wifi?
http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php...ould_I_take.3F
Old Oct 22, 2008, 4:08 pm

Or you could just look at the Wiki FAQ. Doh.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:39 pm

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
""San Jose has WiFi, but there are conflicting reports on whether or not a free service is available""

I went to pick up people last night at SJC, I saw big sign even posted in the baggage claim area "Nonstop Free WiFi". It indicates that SJC DOES officially have free WiFi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.