Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Concierge-could we have all the bad news at once please?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia

Waiting for the other shoe to drop
If you have any information on catagory changes for 2009 it probably be best to let us know about it now if possible.

Dragging out bad news is never a good thing-better to just get it all out there at once.

Waiting till right after the Freddies proved disaterous in 2007,a real slap in the face that sent many long time Marriott fans on this board running away in disgust.

So if you could share with us what you know now it would be much appriciated
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
I got an email yesterday starting Jan 15th, no blackout dates and Plat bonus is 50%......what could be bad news?

edited to add: oops-i missed the category changes ( i just woke up from a nap) so my apologies to hijack the thread with my response.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:27 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Didn't *wood give a pretty decent amount of notice when they did their big "devaluation" a year or two ago? I agree that it would be nice if Marriott would announce with some decent lead-time, exactly what the hotel category changes will be.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 3:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United MP Pr Exec
Originally Posted by USFreak
I got an email yesterday starting Jan 15th, no blackout dates and Plat bonus is 50%......what could be bad news?
Umm have you checked how many more points will you need to hand over to Marriott for the same things you had in the past without these "blackout" dates "feature"? To each his own, if you use your points to book New Year's eve (or and by the way, this will "still" be "limited" availability - so hotels wont let you book with a reward even if they have revenue rooms available - so same limitation in another format).

Its always amazing to see how people fall for the spins marketing is creating around changes for the worse...

TL
Old Oct 22, 2008, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
I honestly doubt Marriott will announce Category changes right now. More likely it will "happen" sometime in Q1 of 2009. Announcing it now will just make folks make a run to encash and surely Marriott doesnt want to go the Lehman way (figuratively speaking in terms of points)

As someone who has over 700K and will net another 70-80K by the end of the month once I get through the 50K megabonus, I really need to do a more complete evaluation of where I want to show my love. I dont think I am going to be switching completely out of Marriott but will probably just stay when there is a Megabonus or something and try and clean up with some of the other program's bonuses as well. Earlier I would stay exclusively at Marriott till I got my plat secured and then do a stay here and there but still end up with 120-140 nights with Marriott. No more.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 9:52 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I honestly doubt Marriott will announce Category changes right now. More likely it will "happen" sometime in Q1 of 2009. Announcing it now will just make folks make a run to encash and surely Marriott doesnt want to go the Lehman way (figuratively speaking in terms of points)

As someone who has over 700K and will net another 70-80K by the end of the month once I get through the 50K megabonus, I really need to do a more complete evaluation of where I want to show my love. I dont think I am going to be switching completely out of Marriott but will probably just stay when there is a Megabonus or something and try and clean up with some of the other program's bonuses as well. Earlier I would stay exclusively at Marriott till I got my plat secured and then do a stay here and there but still end up with 120-140 nights with Marriott. No more.
You make a good point. I wonder how many plat defections will be necessary until MR figures it out...
Old Oct 23, 2008, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Is isn't just plat defections that are coming. As a gold, there is now no reason for me to stick with marriott over the other programs. Golds are taking the largest slap across the face with this change sine we get nothing out of the "enhancements" but the negatives.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
As one who may drop to PLT next year (not enough stays left on the books for this year), I'll probably go back to either *wood or picking different kinds of hotels at my int'l destinations. SLH, R&C, Chateaux et Hotel de France, B&Bs here I come....
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond,
Originally Posted by Global_Hi_Flyer
As one who may drop to PLT next year
Guess I'm confused. How do you "drop to Plat?" Most, if not all aspire to be Plat, until you get there.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Golds are taking the largest slap across the face with this change sine we get nothing out of the "enhancements" but the negatives.
Maybe that's why Marriott was giving away GOLD status the entire year... hmmmm... I guess it's a bit of bait & switch @:-) I'd hate to have been given GOLD, moved over my stays to Marriott and then BAM they introduce these enhancements.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Copilot23
Guess I'm confused. How do you "drop to Plat?" Most, if not all aspire to be Plat, until you get there.
Plat Premier to generic, bland (s)Plat would be my guess.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:04 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

I'm not sure if this has been announced yet, but Marriott has added an extra hotel category -- Category 8.

Going to Honolulu in November to take advantage of the $300 on-checkout hotel credit at the Marriott in Waikiki!

Sanosuke!
Old Oct 24, 2008, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
I honestly doubt Marriott will announce Category changes right now.
Marriott will announce the category creep the day after the voting for Freddies ends.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:53 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by holtju2
Marriott will announce the category creep the day after the voting for Freddies ends.
All future 'enhancements' will be a negative for us. Guess we have to make a choice. Who treats you the best? For a mandatory 75 nights a year, I think it WON'T BE MARRIOTT!
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
As somebody who never, ever uses points to book hotel stays I honestly couldn't care less what "devaluation" they put in place regarding that aspect of the program. This is one plat (plat premier, actually) who won't be defecting and in fact is quite pleased with these announcements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.