Original Poster

Aisle, Window, Middle

What is the best seat and why?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 6:57 pm

[deleted]

Last edited by nolookingca; Nov 27, 2016 at 9:31 pm
Old Oct 25, 2008, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
If they offered an isle, I'd gladly take it! I live on one (though it's rather long).

But on the plane, I prefer an aisle seat because I can throw my elbows out and clobber people wandering down the aisle...
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: F9 Ascent, UA, AA, AS, ICH PA, Hertz PC.....
Depends on what YOU prefer...

Here's my ramble...

On a bird with "normal" seat pitch (31" or less), I will tend to prefer aisle regardless...I'm not petite and there is a bit more room with aisle seats. Last time I was on UAL in E-, I was in pain the whole flight. F9's A318 and A319 still state a 33" pitch, and you can tell the difference!

During the day, going into somewhere I'm relatively new to (especially on a short flight), I like window seats to get a "bird's eye" view of the area. It helps me navigate away from the airport and get my bearings. Also, sometimes when I'm going home from a long trip I like window, so I can see home on approach - day OR night, wx permitting . I also sometimes favor window if I can get exit row, 'cause it's a little easier to get past someone to the lav or to stretch, but that depends on seat assignment rules. When I flew WN Business Select (with near-preboard loading numbers) early this summer, it was exit row (11A 11C or 11D (NOT 11F though) on a 737-700) whenever possible...

Nighttime flights, if I've got work to do (again, not petite, need the elbow room to use the laptop), on a short connection (ok, it may only make a minute or two, but I've been stuck in the window behind someone who needed to go back in the plane for their carryon and let 2/3 of the plane empty out first), if I'm feeling restless or if I think I might need the ...facilities... I'll take aisle.

So, it all depends

RFTraveler ^

Last edited by RFTraveler; Oct 25, 2008 at 7:24 pm
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'll take an isle. Preferably Maui.

On a plane, I take an aisle - at 6'2", I like to plop my legs out in the center for some extra room. And I've flown too often to get excited looking out the window.

The only time I take a window is on a red-eye or when I know I need to get some sleep for any reason.

Middle is always a last choice.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 7:49 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by Stars4SA
There is no best seat. It all depends on your personal preference. What do you want? A nice view - chose a window seat. Easy access to the overhead bin, lavatory, etc. - choose a aisle seat. You fly with a loved one - a middle seat can be fine, too.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 8:15 pm

Programs: NW SE, AA GLD, Hilton Hhonors, Hertz GLD and Harrah's Diamond!
Day flights - Window. I like to try and figure my location by landmarks if possible or to just check out the topography.

Night and especially long haul TATL - Aisle as it allows me to go to the lav or stretch without bothering my seat partner. I do not sleep well on planes, so it makes me fidgity.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 8:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
What is your experience?
Old Oct 25, 2008, 8:26 pm

When traveling alone, I generally prefer aisle because it's possible to get up without disturbing other passengers. However, with a window seat there is something to the side to lean on, which can be nice. Middle is only acceptable when traveling with somebody else.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Ditto and me too. (although I prefer Kauai)

Red-eye, I always go for the window so I can lean and nap. (unless I am on a seat that lays waaaaay back, then I don't care so much)

If I will be awake, the aisle. Don't get trapped in that way, and can get up as needed. But check out seatguru for your particular flight, and avoid middle seats at all costs.

When traveling with Mr. P1, we usually take window/aisle. If the flight isn't packed, no one will take the middle seat. :~)
Old Oct 25, 2008, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
What is your experience?

No experience that is why I am asking. I saw another thread that said middle was not an option. I dont know.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 10:21 pm

No experience that is why I am asking. I saw another thread that said middle was not an option. I dont know.
Wait, so you've never been on a plane? In that case, welcome to a new addiction (and to FT)!
Old Oct 26, 2008, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by CPRich

Middle is always a last choice.
Isn´t the middle seat back wider than the others?

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/air...ps/707sec2.pdf
page 13 (as PDF sees it) or 19 (written on page), figure 2.5
Old Oct 26, 2008, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Window. Tradition.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 4:39 am

Programs: F9 Ascent, UA, AA, AS, ICH PA, Hertz PC.....
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack
Isn´t the middle seat back wider than the others?

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/air...ps/707sec2.pdf
page 13 (as PDF sees it) or 19 (written on page), figure 2.5
I'm not sure that data is particularly relevant these days - the only 707 I've seen in years is a cargo plane at PDX that doesn't ever seem to fly. And, on new planes, seating is something that's purchased by the airline (Customer Provided Equipment). It's not typically provided by the manufacturer of an airframe. Maybe it was different in the early 1960's...when mainline carriers actually used 707's.

RFTraveler

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.