Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2008, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
OT: Sterling bankrupt

check sterling.dk
Old Oct 28, 2008, 10:23 pm

Programs: TK*G, SK*S, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
There is a lot to say about this, but surprised I am not. Actually strange it took this long. Though it is of course highly unfortunate for the passengers who are now trapped all over Europe, supply simple had to be come down at one point. So perhaps next year we will see one million less empty seats flying GOT-ARN :-)

Anyhow, if SAS decides to give some kind of "rescue-offer" to the stranded passengers they will at least be familiar with the quality of the onboard service since their outbound leg... hehe...
Old Oct 28, 2008, 11:37 pm

Havnt checked CPH, but for ARN todays cancelled Sterling return flights includes Alicante, Malaga and Nice. Not sure how SAS would be able to accomodate those pax? The Copenhagen-Stockholm flights I guess wouldnt be a big problem as loads probably are low in the first place.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 12:41 am

Programs: Various
It was expected that one of the carriers would be bankrupt sooner or later. It's just good it's not SAS. This should mean both Norwegian and SAS benefits when their flights get more booked although I'm sure most of that will be offset by the coming recession.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:05 am

Programs: SK Diamond (*G), HH Gold
SK has offered to fly Sterling pax home from their European destinations (where SK operates) free of charge if seats are available. A nice gesture.

Not a big surprice to see Sterling go bankrupt. I guess they are clapping their hands in the SK headoffice. This might the end of the very cheap tickets from Scandinavia for some time. For sure SK will raise the fares on the destinations where Sterling used to operate.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:24 am

Programs: Eurobonus
Seems like some passengers have lost quite a bit of cash. One passenger was on a local radio show this morning and said he had booked 3 trips over the next 4 months for his familiy of 5. Said he had booked tickets worth more than 22000 danish kroner.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 1:42 am

Programs: too many to list
Originally Posted by Wilbur12
Said he had booked tickets worth more than 22000 danish kroner.
Ouch!

I hope that he has a good travel insurance.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 2:00 am

Programs: EBG (*G), QR Gold
A shame to see them go, I liked the colorful planes. Not a surprise given their major backing was from Iceland.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 2:31 am

Programs: AY Lumo, FB Gold
Originally Posted by ramo
I hope that he has a good travel insurance.
...or paid with a credit card!
Old Oct 29, 2008, 2:54 am

Programs: SAS Diamond, SAS Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BHIL
SK has offered to fly Sterling pax home from their European destinations (where SK operates) free of charge if seats are available. A nice gesture.
According to a radio interview with Susanne Larsen of SAS Denmark this morning, "free of charge" may mean that pax have to pay taxes etc. Still not a bad deal
Old Oct 29, 2008, 3:12 am

Programs: SK EBG, LH SEN.
While this might be good for other airlines shortly (read SAS & DY) I think it is sad. NB had a decent fleet and offered good direct flight to lots of popular mediterranean places. I do hope DY or SK will be able to take over some of NBs routes. Out of perspective here in GOT, low fare offering is limited so I really hope we will see DY establishing some routes out of GOT. NBs routes GOT-NCE/AGP & ALC have a good customer segment.
Old Oct 29, 2008, 4:15 am

Programs: SAS
Sad indeed. I guess the cat used up its seven lives. Here is a little trip down memory lane: (from Pleasure.dk - in Danish):

http://pleasure.dk/rejser/artikel/143748/
Old Oct 29, 2008, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
DY takes over Sterling. Press conf. at 17.00h (Danish time)
Old Oct 29, 2008, 8:09 am

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
DY takes over Sterling. Press conf. at 17.00h (Danish time)
Danish article: http://borsen.dk/transport/nyhed/143789/

/HerrO
Old Oct 29, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: EB*G, BD*G, HH Silver, FB, AA, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold
Norwegian does not take over Sterling. Instead do they establish a base at CPH initially with flights to Stockholm, Aalborg, Nice, Malaga and Alicante

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.