EU to abandon liquide ban on flights by 2010

Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
EU to abandon liquide ban on flights by 2010

EU Transport Commissioner Antonio Tajani plans to abandon the EU rules banning liquids in carry on luggage by 2010. Unnoticed by public all EU countries have voted in the EU security council in favor for this proposal.

I hope this is true. I haven't found an English article about it - just a German one EU takes down liquid ban.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:47 am

This is the article in the Wirtschaftswoche referred by n-tv:

http://www.wiwo.de/exklusiv/eu-will-...kippen-376015/
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:03 am

Brief translation of the Wirtschaftswoche article:

Starting from April 2010, air passengers in Europe should again be able to take unlimited quantities of drinks and cremes onboard. The EU Comissioner for Transport Antonio Tajani plans to abolish the current restriction. The European Commission confirmed to the Wirtschaftswoche that this plan has already cleared all important hurdles.

He got the support of EU member states already. All EU states favor abolishing the liquid ban, except for Germany [and I am, on this occasion, ashamed to be German - cockpitvisit]. But nevertheless, Germany will also be forced to reduce the current restrictions, because no consensus is required. The support of the European Parlament is certain too.

Currently, air passengers are only permitted to take fluids and cremes onboard that are in containers not exceeding 100ml and have to fit all such containers into a resealable transparent plastic bag not exceeding one liter.

This restriction was introduced in 2006, after terrorists attempted to smuggle chemicals through security checkoints and mix them to produce explosives [yeah right]. The restrictions were meant to be temporary, but till now, all attempts to lift them failed to gather the necessary support.

But now, the pressure on Europe to lift the restrictions increased. The boss of the US transportation agency TSA, Kip Hawley, announced last week that the USA are going to abolish the liquid ban within one year. "We are certain that we will have technical means to differentiate between dangerous and harmless liquids by Fall 2009", he promised in an announcement on the TSA website. This change will be possible through the introduction of new screening devices that can reliably differentiate between explosives , toothpaste, lemonade and cosmetics at the checkpoint.

It is unclear yet whether all airports in Europe will have these devices available on the promised date. "We are not optimistic to make this very tight schedule", said Ralph Beisel, the chairman of the German Airports Association.

Such screening devices are available from three large manufacturers Smiths Detection from the UK, as well as US competitors L3 and Rapiscan, who together hold a market share of 80 percent, for a year now. But to implement corresponding security checks at every checkpoint, over 2000 machines are required. "And we cannot build that many in the remaining time", a manager at one of the manufacturers is quoted. Funding can become a problem too. The European Commission is concerned that the manufacturers might take advantage of the situation and raise the prices. "The manufacturers would be tempted to take advantage of this", the responsible department is quoted. "The prices could raise three times".

Last edited by cockpitvisit; Nov 2, 2008 at 9:10 am
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:40 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by cockpitvisit
Brief translation of the Wirtschaftswoche article:

Starting from April 2010, air passengers in Europe should again be able to take unlimited quantities of drinks and cremes onboard. The EU Comissioner for Transport Antonio Tajani plans to abolish the current restriction. The European Commission confirmed to the Wirtschaftswoche that this plan has already cleared all important hurdles.

He got the support of EU member states already. All EU states favor abolishing the liquid ban, except for Germany [and I am, on this occasion, ashamed to be German - cockpitvisit]. But nevertheless, Germany will also be forced to reduce the current restrictions, because no consensus is required. The support of the European Parlament is certain too.

Currently, air passengers are only permitted to take fluids and cremes onboard that are in containers not exceeding 100ml and have to fit all such containers into a resealable transparent plastic bag not exceeding one liter.

This restriction was introduced in 2006, after terrorists attempted to smuggle chemicals through security checkoints and mix them to produce explosives [yeah right]. The restrictions were meant to be temporary, but till now, all attempts to lift them failed to gather the necessary support.

But now, the pressure on Europe to lift the restrictions increased. The boss of the US transportation agency TSA, Kip Hawley, announced last week that the USA are going to abolish the liquid ban within one year. "We are certain that we will have technical means to differentiate between dangerous and harmless liquids by Fall 2009", he promised in an announcement on the TSA website. This change will be possible through the introduction of new screening devices that can reliably differentiate between explosives , toothpaste, lemonade and cosmetics at the checkpoint.

It is unclear yet whether all airports in Europe will have these devices available on the promised date. "We are not optimistic to make this very tight schedule", said Ralph Beisel, the chairman of the German Airports Association.

Such screening devices are available from three large manufacturers Smiths Detection from the UK, as well as US competitors L3 and Rapiscan, who together hold a market share of 80 percent, for a year now. But to implement corresponding security checks at every checkpoint, over 2000 machines are required. "And we cannot build that many in the remaining time", a manager at one of the manufacturers is quoted. Funding can become a problem too. The European Commission is concerned that the manufacturers might take advantage of the situation and raise the prices. "The manufacturers would be tempted to take advantage of this", the responsible department is quoted. "The prices could raise three times".
emphasis mine: kippie ole boy, the only thing i can guarantee is that you can screw up a free lunch. i'll believe it when i see it,
Old Nov 2, 2008, 9:46 am
Suspended

The boss of the US transportation agency TSA, Kip Hawley, announced last week that the USA are going to abolish the liquid ban within one year. "We are certain that we will have technical means to differentiate between dangerous and harmless liquids by Fall 2009", he promised in an announcement on the TSA website.
Kippie ain't gonna be around by the Fall of 2009.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by doober
Kippie ain't gonna be around by the Fall of 2009.
I think he will eventually to leaves from TSA soon as possible. Do you think K-H-I-A-I? I don't think he doesn't have his justifications carry dangerous liquids explosives.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, SW Rewards, WorldPerks, Barnes and Noble Frequent Buyers
About 3 weeks ago some talking heads from DC were here working with the Elite Mobile Screening Team testing all liquids that were allowed on the plane for children and ill people. They stuck their little sniffer into breast milk, juice, water and medicines. I thought medicines were inviolate but I was informed that if it was liquid it got screened. When I asked about the TSA website that said if you declare your medicine it's not to be touched, I was told well what if a bad guy went to the doctor, got a Rx for cough syrup, dumped it out, and filled it up with explosive. Scary isn't it? Not to mention time consuming and another violation of personal belongings. The only thing they didn't sample were unopened bottles and jars. Thank God, my Gerbers squash might contain something explosive ( the kid transformed it into that).

airlinebrat53
Old Nov 2, 2008, 7:53 pm

Why wait? We all know the liquid bomb scenero is a farce. End it now and be done with it.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by AirlineBrat53
... They stuck their little sniffer into breast milk, juice, water and medicines.
With some disposable cover like electronic fever thermometers? Surely they're not cross-contaminating liquids with this unit?
... if a bad guy went to the doctor, got a Rx for cough syrup, dumped it out, and filled it up with explosive....
Ohhhhh, now the big secret is out. All the bad guys will know it now. At least you can still replace your cough medicine with your favorite non-explosive single malt.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
He says they have technology to detect it because they already know the threat is stupid and doesn't exist except in some sort of fantastical action film. This way he can wait an appropriate period, declare victory, and move on.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:54 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by AirlineBrat53
what if a bad guy went to the doctor, got a Rx for cough syrup, dumped it out, and filled it up with explosive.
Or, you know, one of the fictional "clever" terrorists who can use a laser printer and make his own labels?
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by TheRoadie
With some disposable cover like electronic fever thermometers? Surely they're not cross-contaminating liquids with this unit?Ohhhhh, now the big secret is out. All the bad guys will know it now. At least you can still replace your cough medicine with your favorite non-explosive single malt.
Even with such covers, I'd be worried about cross-contamination depending on what the liquid is/is used for.

Another thought that enters my mind is how such a "sniffer" would work. If it just sniffs the air above the liquid then which compounds is it detecting? Unless they're using an NMR/GC, which would be impractical for TSO use, it's just another show with no real substance.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say that this whole liquids saga is taking the piss, but they don't even allow that nowadays.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KRSW
Even with such covers, I'd be worried about cross-contamination depending on what the liquid is/is used for.

Another thought that enters my mind is how such a "sniffer" would work. If it just sniffs the air above the liquid then which compounds is it detecting? Unless they're using an NMR/GC, which would be impractical for TSO use, it's just another show with no real substance.

OMG! You had me howling at my desk! The image of TSA folks trying to use the NMR had me in stitches! (...and it left me a little fetal thinking about undergrad organic chem lab...yikes...How I ever made it out of there alive is beyond me...)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.