Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

New rules: Economy only up to 10 hours - how many others are also suffering?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold

We are making our shiftto the back of the aircraft (as of last week). Just curious if many others are going through similar rule changes.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
We're still Y-only in Europe and J/C beyond, though stretching budgets by using alternative routeings at more sensible prices.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 5:44 am

Programs: QFF SG, EK, EY Silver, SQ Gold, SPG, PC Plat RA, A¦Club Platinum, Hertz 5*
Our trips now have to be authorised by higher up higher ups than the higher ups that previously authorised them.

It just means bulls***ting someone more senior now, that's all. Like the Managing Director has anything better to do with his time than sign off several dozen travel requests???

If the travel requests have to signed off by anyone more senior, it'll be on a tablet of stone and be discovered on a mountainside somewhere...

Last edited by 2muchplastic; Nov 3, 2008 at 5:45 am Reason: Finished too soon (bad habit to get into)
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:11 am
Gaz

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, UA Gold
My sister's employer (an small overseas investment bank who have had a rough few months) recently changed their policy to all economy, all the time.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:16 am

Programs: Finnair Platinum; Intercontinental Ambassador
I'm feeling so sorry for all of you. My heart is just bleeding.

Partly because my company uses Y only policy on everything except W for Sydney.

Can't go much worse from there
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:32 am

Programs: BA GGLfL
We are now practising apartheid; Y for everyone other than the top 15% of staff whereas previously all could fly C/J (and occasionally F). Not nice when people realise that they are not in the top 15% of the company.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Not suffering here - yet! Still Business Class all the way (it's those City blighters who have been used to First Class that I feel sorry for!)
Old Nov 3, 2008, 6:55 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
(it's those City blighters who have been used to First Class that I feel sorry for!)
You only need feel sorry Phil for those too stupid to have forgotten to have it written into their employment contract when they move firms. And besides, travel is a disbursement to a client and the class of travel isn't shown on their invoice.

Having said that I was asked if I would conside premium Y as it was a daytime flight. I politely declined on the grounds that I would be working through the night and would need some sleep before the meeting.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, HHonors Diamond
Company policy used to be J for >8 hours.

Change in last few days mandates Y for all flights up to 8 hours, and only Y/W for flights above 8 hours - no more J.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:31 am

Programs: SK EBS / BA Silver / BMI Gold / KLM Silver
About year ago we switched from Business on flights over six hours, to Economy for every flights no matter how long. Anything other than Economy needs senior management approval. Its obviously pretty poor for me travelling the distances, but the thing many fail to understand is that the miles (and hence holidays) are the compensation for my wife and family for being away nights and often weekends. And it doesn't help our support engineers who are often expected to be bright as a button fixing stuff the moment they land.

Next time I move jobs Premium Economy is going to be the minimum my wife will let me write into the deal!
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:38 am

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Silver, Executive Club Blue, Miles & More, Priority Club Gold, Skywards Blue
My company's policy is J class for flights of more than 6 hours but to the discretion of the VP.

Last year I flew J to BLR with EK and it was brilliant ...

This year I flew Y ... And it was far than brilliant ... Even if BA service was great no matter what.

Now I'm hoping for the best for Feb 09 flights ...

It should be all right but will obviously depends on the budget and the VP's approval as always ...

I keep my fingers crossed ...

Last edited by julmops; Nov 3, 2008 at 7:55 am
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Wow, do you lot manage to get someone else to pay for your travel?

Last edited by Globaliser; Nov 3, 2008 at 9:07 am Reason: To add smileys, just in case of the teensy-weensy risk that there might be some misunderstanding.
Old Nov 3, 2008, 7:59 am

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Post retracted, as it didn’t really contribute anything constructive to the topic

Last edited by kered; Nov 3, 2008 at 8:27 am
Old Nov 3, 2008, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA GGL, ICC Amb Plat, LH Freq Fly, Hilton Diamond
Yes I've gone from F (city boy) to Y (tech company) in only 2 months.

New employer has recently (Just before I joined) gone to an all Y policy.

Ouch
Old Nov 3, 2008, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now Y up to 6 hours, which is now at the point of being uncomfortable and of dubious productivity. LHR-CAI in Y? No thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.