Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Memphis Beale Street [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Memphis Beale Street [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2005, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Arrow Westin Memphis Beale Street [Master Thread]

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/051213/20051213005133.html?.v=1

Press Release Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.

Westin Rocks Memphis
Tuesday December 13, 9:00 am ET
The Home of the Blues and the Birthplace of Rock 'N Roll Eagerly Awaits The Westin Beale Street Hotel

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 13, 2005--Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc. (NYSE: HOT - News) announces a construction commencement on a $40-million 203-room Westin Beale Street Hotel in Memphis, TN. Located directly across from the FedExForum, home of the Memphis Grizzlies of the NBA and the University of Memphis Tigers basketball team, The Westin Beale Street will be Tennessee's first Westin and the first upper-upscale branded hotel to be built in the Memphis metro area in more than twenty years. The hotel will be managed by Senate, franchised as a Westin under a long-term license agreement and is expected to be completed during the first quarter 2007.

"We are thrilled to add The Westin Beale Street to our fast-growing portfolio of hotels and to be present in such a vibrant and energetic section of Memphis," said Sue Brush, senior vice president of Westin Hotels & Resorts. "We look forward to offering Westin's distinctive renewal experience to business, group and leisure travelers."

"This is going to be an exceptional hotel in an exceptional area of Memphis," said Dave Jones, president and CEO of Senate Hospitality Group. "We selected the Westin brand because it has by far the most to offer - their amenities are incomparable in the industry. And, of course, everyone appreciates the significance of Beale Street and its impact on the American scene. It's easy to understand why we are so obviously excited."

The hotel has been planned by its developers to be an oasis for NBA teams who spend so much time on the road and spend too many nights in hotels unequipped to provide special amenities for athletes many of whom stand at least 6-6 and weigh more than 240 pounds. Special provisions have been made to appeal to NBA teams including a special floor with taller ceilings and doors, shower heads mounted to accommodate NBA players and a configuration of suites to serve the special needs of an NBA team.

Representing the best of service, style and comfort for today's affluent professional business and leisure travelers, The Westin Beale Street will boast a glass and natural stone lobby, communicating classic elegance immediately upon arrival. Guests will continue this luxurious experience with elegantly styled guest rooms featuring the brand's signature Heavenly Bed®, a spacious work area and contemporary flat screen HDTV's. The oversized, elegantly appointed four fixture bathroom features a frameless glass shower with dual showerhead, granite and chrome vanity and slate flooring. Other guest services include a WestinWORKOUT® Powered by Reebok fitness facility and WestinWORKOUT guest rooms.

The Westin Beale Street will include a number of unique offerings for its guests including the nationally acclaimed Daily Grill restaurant, an upscale restaurant which serves classic American cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Designed to serve as an important meeting and special event destination, The Westin Beale Street hotel will offer the highest quality meeting facilities in the city. The hotel will specialize in catering to business and social events utilizing its elegant ballroom and breakout meeting rooms including Westin's state-of-the-art audio/visual equipment, as well as wireless high-speed Internet access throughout its meeting space, in all public areas of the hotel as well as in the hotel's guest rooms.

Westin's new brand positioning is centered on renewal and offering guests the services, products and amenities that will help them rejuvenate, relax and restore their mind, body and spirit and as a result all Westin hotels in the U.S., Canada and the Caribbean will be smoke-free as of January 2006.

Source: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, Inc.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 10:07 pm

Memphis needs a hotel like this pretty badly.

That's great news for the area. The entire downtown area has undergone a drastic renovation and it looks as if the Westin will be icing on the cake. With that being said, the downtown area still lacks newer high-end hotels. The Peabody, while nice, is more of a classic hotel. I just wish this all happened before I moved away! I think, but don't know for sure, that this is the only Starwood hotel within a couple hundred miles of Memphis now that the Tunica Sheraton is no longer a *wood participating hotel.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 3:13 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
I stayed there Nov 1st - the restaurant was closed as they were filming "Nothing But the Truth" with amongst others, David Schwimmer. The lobby was a bit of a mess with all the film crew (and their equipment) hanging around.

Was initially allocated an uncleaned room, but having queried this with reception the service was excellent. Modern, clean rooms; huge bathroom with separate shower, free wifi (although I'm not sure whether it was meant to be), and very close to Beale Street. I had a room facing opposite direction so had no issue with noise at night.

Would definitely stay again.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 12:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold, United MP Premier, Alaska Air, BA, Qantas, ANZ
What can anyone tell me about the Westin Memphis Beale Street?

I have a room booked there and see that I've been upgraded to a suite--nice!

I do not know anything, however, about this hotel.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by adventurous

Excellent area for walking around at night, adjacent to the arena so you'll be inundated with Hanna Montana fans...no wait, that was my experience. Seriously, plenty of watering holes within walking distance, hotel was perfectly quiet and clean.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL MM
I can't help with the hotel, but can suggest you visit Rendevous for some of the best dry ribs you'll ever have.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 7:06 pm

Programs: Starwood Lifetime Platinum
I stayed there last year for about a week and liked very much how new/clean the hotel was. Street parking was pretty good but not great. Got upgraded to a nice room with view.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP

The suites are very nice, although the one I was in was filled, FILLED, with lingering smoke from the prior guest. The shower and tub (separate) was huge, and the suites are on each floor, in the corner, and from the exterior are the ones with all the windows floor-to-ceiling that protrude out. Very nice views and the electronic drapes all the way around the suite were snazzy.

It appears that the suites get bigger the higher the floor if you look at the architecture.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by runningshoes
I can't help with the hotel, but can suggest you visit Rendevous for some of the best dry ribs you'll ever have.
Second that, Rendezvous is sick. I haven't been down to Memphis in a few months and have been considering ordering a few racks via overnight. Last time I was there (late July), they were filming something for the Travel Channel. Truly delicious ribs, although I'm sure some will chime in with their preferred spots in Memphis, BBQ is such a personal taste type thing.

Anyway, in terms of the hotel, its a pretty good property. Clean, new, right on Beale Street - don't think you could ask for much more. The rooms are nice and are done in the "new" Westin standards, so quite modern. The restaurant is a Daily Grill, so decent food if you choose to have breakfast on site - I recommend the pancakes.

Frankly, even if I were with another hotel chain I'd probably stay at the Westin when in Memphis. Based on the preliminary look I gave the other chain hotels in town before I went down the first time, they were all pretty much below average. The Peabody is supposed to be decent - but I chose the standards and points that the Westin offered.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Does anyone know about Plat treatment? Is there a club (breakfast)?
Old Nov 5, 2008, 5:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Does anyone know about Plat treatment? Is there a club (breakfast)?
Plat treatment was normal, nothing special. On a last minute reservation with late checkin I managed to secure a decent sized room to take an early conference call with a colleague.

No lounge or free breakfast or anything along those lines.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, AA LT Gold, Radisson Gold, Hertz PC, HP Masters emeritus (sigh)
It's a standard Westin. Best thing about it is the location across street from FedEx Forum and adjacent to Beale Street. (They even have rooms made for NBA 7-footers). Rooms on the side facing away from Beale Street are quieter.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Ex Platinum & 1MM, DL PLT, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by troyb
Second that, Rendezvous is sick. I haven't been down to Memphis in a few months and have been considering ordering a few racks via overnight. Last time I was there (late July), they were filming something for the Travel Channel. Truly delicious ribs, although I'm sure some will chime in with their preferred spots in Memphis, BBQ is such a personal taste type thing.
Since you asked Blues City Cafe (http://www.bluescitycafe.com), which is on one corner of Beale St. Concierge @ The Peabody recommended it after we discovered Rendezvous was closed one night. Never made it to Rendezvous, but went back to BCC several times for their ribs ^
Old Nov 5, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Also they do not have a pool. Minor most of the time, but can be an issue if you are takeing the kids to a game.
Old Nov 5, 2008, 11:12 pm
Suspended

How's room service, and how late do they go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.