Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mobile Device/PDA Boarding Passes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 9:59 am
jsm
Original Poster

Location: Northridge, CA, - AA EXP 3 MM , Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC, Lots of other programs and points
Mobile Device/PDA Boarding Passes

Looks like we are getting PDA boarding passes at LAX, OC and ORD

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/081113/ameri...sses.html?.v=1

American Airlines offers mobile boarding passes, reduces need for printed documents

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Passengers on American Airlines will be able to get boarding passes electronically on their mobile phones or PDAs at some airports beginning Thursday, avoiding the need for printed passes.

The carrier said the electronic passes were being introduced Thursday for passengers leaving on domestic flights from Chicago's O'Hare International Airport.

The passes will be offered on domestic flights from Los Angeles International and John Wayne Orange County airports beginning Monday, the carrier said.

If successful in those trials with the Transportation Safety Administration, the electronic passes could be extended to other U.S. airports, said American, a unit of AMR Corp.

Customers need an Internet-enabled mobile device on which they can get the barcode via e-mail. The barcode can be scanned at TSA security checkpoints and American Airlines gates.

To use the feature, passengers can list only one person on the reservation and must be traveling on American or American Eagle on a nonstop flight or a trip that doesn't involve a change in planes.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:18 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I wonder if a mini netbook (Acer Aspire One, in this case- really like it so far) with WLAN will work. I don't do the internet phone thing, but this little mini will be our travel computer.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Nov 13, 2008 at 12:32 pm
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by brp
I wonder if a mini netbook (Acer Aspire One, in this case- really like it so far) with WLAN will work. I don't do the internet phone thing, but this little mini will be our travel computer.

Cheers,

Bruce

Yes, it should work. But you would have to save the electronic file as a PDF, or email it to yourself, in order to have it downloaded to the machine. (unless you have a mobile broadband card)

I'm interested in how it will work from the TSA end of things. Will the scanning computer pop up with the pax name and flight details, to which the TSO then will compare the ID?

Frankly, I think it's a huge step forward for those of us who have Blackberries/iPhones/etc, in terms of convenience. It also eliminates the security risk associated with people falsifying boarding passes with Photoshop, changing the name/date, etc.

But I still always will be printing out my BPs at home (or requesting a reprint on AA ticket stock) for archiving purposes.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:36 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
Yes, it should work. But you would have to save the electronic file as a PDF, or email it to yourself, in order to have it downloaded to the machine. (unless you have a mobile broadband card)
Yup. WLAN is Mobile Broadband (or maybe it's WWAN). I should probably just say mobile broadband since that's more common.

I guess the idea is that you'd access it "live" with a wireless (broadband, phone, BB) connection. I see potential for delays if people try to do that as they get up to the checker. Of course, not having one of those devices, maybe it is simpler than that and no need for concern.

Since my wife and I are typically on the same PNR, this won't work as-is anyway, with the single passenger restriction...but maybe that will be enhanced over time if this works well.

Cheers.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:46 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
...But I still always will be printing out my BPs at home (or requesting a reprint on AA ticket stock) for archiving purposes...
Likewise. The value of the system for me would be when I wasn't able to print the pass. I prefer to hit the TSA line with everything - phone included - stowed in my briefcase and carry on, so it's only shoes and laptop to deal with. The paper pass works best for me.

Also, since nearly all my flights have connections, the new system wouldn't apply - though I guess that could change in the future.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 10:58 am

BW: American Airlines offers mobile boarding passes

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D94E59BO0.htm

FORT WORTH, Texas

Passengers on American Airlines will be able to get boarding passes electronically on their mobile phones or PDAs at some airports beginning Thursday, avoiding the need for printed passes.

The carrier said the electronic passes were being introduced Thursday for passengers leaving on domestic flights from Chicago's O'Hare International Airport.

The passes will be offered on domestic flights from Los Angeles International and John Wayne Orange County airports beginning Monday, the carrier said.

If successful in those trials with the Transportation Safety Administration, the electronic passes could be extended to other U.S. airports, said American, a unit of AMR Corp.

Customers need an Internet-enabled mobile device on which they can get the barcode via e-mail. The barcode can be scanned at TSA security checkpoints and American Airlines gates.

To use the feature, passengers can list only one person on the reservation and must be traveling on American or American Eagle on a nonstop flight or a trip that doesn't involve a change in planes.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:00 am

I'm interested in how it will work from the TSA end of things. Will the scanning computer pop up with the pax name and flight details, to which the TSO then will compare the ID?
CO has been using it for a couple years now, first in Houston, but more recently in EWR and CLE. I've tried it on around 30 flights and have to say that when there are no problems, it works ok. If you turn off your device and try to get the BP again, after the scheduled departure, then you will still have to get a paper BP.

I think it might be slower with the PDA BP getting through the TSA gauntlet. In CLE they scanned my iPhone, then gave me a paper to show to the agent by the magnetometer. In EWR they don't do that, but sometimes give me a hard time going through when I tell them the BP is on my PDA. Sometimes they have to boot up their scanner which takes almost 30 seconds... that doesn't sound like much, but when there are 100 people behind you in line, breathing down your neck, you don't want to be the cause of any delay.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

Frankly, I think it's a huge step forward for those of us who have Blackberries/iPhones/etc, in terms of convenience. It also eliminates the security risk associated with people falsifying boarding passes with Photoshop, changing the name/date, etc.

But I still always will be printing out my BPs at home (or requesting a reprint on AA ticket stock) for archiving purposes.
That depends. Is TSA going to scan paper BP's also? That would make sense. If they can scan a BB BP, they should be able to validata a paper one.

The article said "bar code". I think "bar code" is a stupid name for data matrix coding, which looks nothing like the old style bar code.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:12 am

I just went to print tomorrow's boarding passes and there are now a Print for Email and a Email for use on Cell Phone or other Mobile Device The latter was grayed out and said in red " Not available for this itinerary ".

The Print for Email worked like a champ and send me a PDF file with my boarding passes.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Wait till they try to mark your mobile device with a pen to note they "looked" at it.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CApreppie
Wait till they try to mark your mobile device with a pen to note they "looked" at it.

That's true! How will they deal with putting initials? As I understand it, the whole idea of scribbling initials is to hold a specific document checker responsible if the boarding pass says SSSS but the checker neglects to refer the pax to "ORANGE," especially now that they don't check boarding passes again after the WTMD.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:28 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wdwright

The Print for Email worked like a champ and send me a PDF file with my boarding passes.
But one still needs access to a printer for this. With a PDF printer plug-in, even the standard check-in allows this.

This helps the less-tech-savvy to do this, but you certainly don't need it

Cheers.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by brp
But one still needs access to a printer for this. With a PDF printer plug-in, even the standard check-in allows this.

This helps the less-tech-savvy to do this, but you certainly don't need it

Cheers.
Agreed. Mainly a feature for those without Adobe Acrobat (or equivalent). Handy for those who like to archive boarding passes digitally.

I have in the past checked in for non-computer savvy family members and sent them a PDF for them to print. This will make that a bit easier.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
I have two flights next week that will qualify for this; SNA-ORD on Tue and ORD-MSP on Wed. I will have to try it. Should be interesting... but how does one keep their BP with them when you have to put your cell phone through the X-Ray machine?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by woojink
but how does one keep their BP with them when you have to put your cell phone through the X-Ray machine?
You don't. The PDA/Phone goes through the machine as normal. The TSA will either not ask to see your BP again, or will give you something to show the 2nd BP checker that you have been verified.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.