Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest is coming to LGA!! (was: New city rumor??)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2008, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue

Heard it through the grapevine that SW will announce a modest opening of a new city soon.

My last rumor i started was the "7 code share" that SW currently in talks with to form a deal. Then a few days later, Volaris code share was announced.

Let's see how my "rumor" streaks last.

And the let the games begin.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 2:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'll make a long shot guess: SJU.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 2:04 pm

Programs: WN CP
MSP!!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA, MR
PGV, only in my dreams as there is not enough runway, i guess that would be modest though
Old Nov 17, 2008, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
MSP!!
Now that's funny Curb.

My guess is CLT or Savannah, Ga
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
I would like to see WN move into NYC. No idea how likely that is.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:25 pm
dc2

Programs: Marriott: LTP
How about RAP or FSD? I'd go there...(well, maybe not in the winter. )
Old Nov 17, 2008, 10:08 pm
Suspended

wow....interesting....in my years at WN i have heard SOOO many rumors....and you know what? NONE of them came true....at least not in a timely manner.

When I was first hired in 1995, i was assured Raleigh/Durham was right around the corner.......(RDU was not opened until June 1999.)

I also remember hearing loud rumors when I was hired that we were going to acquire now-defunct Air South and start flying to Savannah, Columbia, etc etc....

I heard back in the 1990s that Pensacola was right around the corner...

I heard when I got hired as a CSA in Cleveland in 1995 that we were about to close Cleveland and switch all operations over to Akron/Canton....

Colorado Springs has been rumored for YEARS despite an assurance from a friend in our schedule planning department that: "We run the numbers ever few months and COS just doesn't make the cut."

Yet, I've heard we would never go back to Denver....we would never fly to Minneapolis...and when I was hired...we will never fly to Florida.

I've heard there was Southwest signage put up in Charleston, SC...or maybe it was Greensboro (again, this was in the 90s)....and that we have former Morris Air gates in Anchorage we are just waiting to use....

I've read (in "NUTS!") that the city of Milwaukee went as far as building gates to our specification in an attept to get our business....

I've heard the rumors for years of Memphis and Cincinnati....both rumors more recently enhanced by the DL/NW merger and possible closing of the hubs there....

My point...there have been rumors...there have been denials which later came true....there have been complete suprises....but no one REALLY knows what WN is going to do...or when.

And that, my friends, is part of the successful mystique surrounding this great Company.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 9:06 am

I think it'll be LGA.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
If I had to guess, it'd be one of MKE, CVG, or CLT.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Gold, Airline Peon (United, Delta, Southwest)
My guess is Cincinnati, OH (CVG)

5x to Chicago Midway
3x to Baltimore-Washington
1x Orlando
1x Tampa
Old Nov 18, 2008, 2:09 pm

Programs: SWA RR
I'm guessing Charlotte with all flights through Baltimore, Nashville and/or Chicago.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Under the Liberty Visual to 27L at PHL. Stranger in a strange land - a Devils fan in Flyers country.
Programs: PWP Le Chancelier des Clefs d'Or || Sarcasm, Anti-Stupidity, Obscure References top tier member.
Originally Posted by SDCA
My guess is CLT or Savannah, Ga
SAV has been floating around as a rumored alternative to the ATL area and its ATC mess and such. But the problem with that is that BHM is closer to ATL Metro.

Originally Posted by dwebb
I would like to see WN move into NYC. No idea how likely that is.
They kinda consider ISP to be their NYC area service. JFK/EWR/LGA is out - delays and slots.

Originally Posted by CABNcrew
I think it'll be LGA.
See above. No slots.

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
If I had to guess, it'd be one of MKE, CVG, or CLT.
Solid choices. I would love to see CLT as I think that it would be a nail in US's coffin. Posts by a former US pilot in their forum seem to indicate that WN could come to CLT, but not for another few years because of gate lease restrictions. WN going to CLT is not in their control at this time.

Originally Posted by wnflyer
I'm guessing Charlotte with all flights through Baltimore, Nashville and/or Chicago.
Question: why would this do any good? If the conventional wisdom is that WN will go into CLT to ultimately make a final run at US, wouldn't the point be to have a good amount of nonstops and also keep a good amount of point-to-point routes? If that thinking is to be believed, what's the point in WN routing everything thru the other focus cities? That does nothing for the CLT O&D market that they would assumedly be going after.
Old Nov 18, 2008, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
I'd bet a good bit of money it's LGA:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...a.3129e9f.html
Old Nov 18, 2008, 7:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mersk862
I'd bet a good bit of money it's LGA:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...a.3129e9f.html
I think you and CABNcrew win. The news story is definitive. Once again Southwest thinks outside the box.

Lack of service to NYC is one of the top 5 or 6 reasons people give for excluding Southwest from their personal list of preferred carriers. Southwest knows the whole list of reasons, just as we FTers do, and Southwest keeps methodically crossing them out, one by one. Most recently, Fly By Lanes crossed out the lack of priority screening. When you step back and consider Southwest's progress over the past 10 years toward accommodating business travelers, it's really impressive.

Back on topic, service to LGA is why I joined the ATA program and got their credit card. When ATA pulled out of LGA, I redeemed most of my points for Southwest credits. That turned out to be good timing.

Southwest will have managed to acquire ATA's most valuable assets, gates at MDW and LGA and slots at LGA, without the costs of a merger. Given the success of this approach, I seriously doubt that Southwest will ever acquire another airline.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.