Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

Coach Choice seats for Medallions is cancelled! You can book your Preferred Seats!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Coach Choice seats for Medallions is cancelled! You can book your Preferred Seats!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold

Everyone log on to Delta.com and check the seat selection for your upcoming itineraries. Coach Choice has disappeared for me, seemingly replaced with "Preferred Seating." The logo is gone from the little "key" box; no coach choice on any segments for me... (I'm just FO status).

Anyone else see this?!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Oops, I really should have read the thread dedicated to this. I just got excited. My bad.

Moderator: Please delete.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
I think it's worth it's own thread.

I wouldn't have known if I wasn't bored enough to check on that thread. I expected to see another 2 pages of grousing posts in there (deserving or not), but instead found CC was gone, which let me go and score some better seats.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by stevekstevek
I think it's worth it's own thread.

I wouldn't have known if I wasn't bored enough to check on that thread. I expected to see another 2 pages of grousing posts in there (deserving or not), but instead found CC was gone, which let me go and score some better seats.
I concur. I'd rather see the posts culled from the moster thread than these merged into the other one. It is too long and presents too large a barier to entry. If you haven't been keeping up with it over the past few weeks, you probably would miss the "change".
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL GM
still an option on my check in this AM.....I snagged at $ seat on my flight completed today. Maybe it went into effect after 4am EST?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:39 pm

If I remember correctly, this program was on selected markets and on a test basis....with no official press release.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
I doubt it's permanently abandoned. Hopefully they'll rethink it & make some adjustments before it's reactivated.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by DlRes
If I remember correctly, this program was on selected markets and on a test basis....with no official press release.
While it's not exactly the same as a press release, the Choice Seats FAQs were posted on DL.com, and are still up at this time.

I only booked two flights in the CC era, but both had CC. From the posts on this board, I think the application was pretty universal. According to the FAQ, the program applied to all flights except "non-jet aircraft and flights not offering advance seat selections".

Although I hope it's gone for good, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back in revised form as happened on NW (same initial uproar from Elites for the same reasons DL Medallions are now mad, but fixes were made that got the NW Elites fairly happy overall).
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:47 pm

Ahh, but I think OP might be on to something here. My flight this AM had choice seats, but my future flights have no more $ signs on choice seats....now preferred blue color again.

DL.com error or company policy?????
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL DM
Yes, I do not see it on the future flights either that once had it!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:54 pm

Just to add....I went and changed seats on future flights to those that once had $ signs.....back in business!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 3:55 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Just booked a flight JFK to MCO for Wednesday this week and no CC seats, only preferred. Of course I supposed they could have sold all the CC seats!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by lls138
still an option on my check in this AM.....I snagged at $ seat on my flight completed today. Maybe it went into effect after 4am EST?
Maybe they just allowed elites to book them anytime. It would fit what we're seeing, along with your post:

a) During advance booking, elites see "preferred" seats, and only elites can choose them.

b) During check-in, everyone sees the "$" on the seats, and non-elites can pay to get those.

I think this would be a fair compromise, really. Elites don't lose _anything_ here, and some preferred seats will still be available for DL to sell as CC and get some revenue:
- Not all preferred seats may be selected be elites through reservations
- Some elites will get upgraded, thus opening up their "choice" seat.
- Some elites will change plans, opening up some more.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 4:07 pm

I do not see it on my future flights. Coach Choice was there the last time I checked.

I did go in and make one seat change to sit next to a traveling companion who had the row before Coach Choice came along.

Maybe this is only until they clear things up?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Smile

Just did a really thorough check for about 35 different trips through March '09, without entering my PM SM number. No dollar signs anywhere, but plenty of Medallion seats available including exit aisles.

If my assumption is correct, high five to DL executives making this decision. It does not mean that customers are running the show, but it certainly means that common sense is. There simply was not enough money in alledgedly "special seats" that have the same fixed and variable cost of operation as every other seat in the Y cabin.

The more airlines that make these smart decisions (to retract earlier mindless decisions), the sooner bad airlines like US will go "buh-bye" because they will retract nothing. And, when that happens...inevitably and quickly...the more revenue and margins the decent carriers will have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.