Wiki Posts
Search

Off-Duty Flight Attendant Cuts Line..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2008, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL AA
Off-Duty Flight Attendant Cuts Line..

..wanted to get opinions on something I witnessed yesterday. I was on DL 841 from EWR to ATL. It was a fully packed flight so the line was lengthy to board. I was in Zone 9 so towards the end of those boarding. In line behind me was a delta flight attendant (she was wearing her flight attendant uniform) - I see her move towards the front of the line and think, 'she must be late'. No one said anything because, as I said, she was in uniform. However, when I got on board it was clear that she was not working and was just a passenger. What is worse, she made sure that her (large) luggage made it into an overhead compartment. Her bag was one of the last ones that was able to be accommodated. I saw at least one other passenger, who was originally in front of her in line, have to check a bag. I thought that was very unprofessional behavior on the flight attendant's part. Am I missing something? Do flight attendants traveling for work get some sort of priority?

Last edited by Chris92Heel; Nov 17, 2008 at 6:14 pm
Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:18 pm

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
She might have had to get to ATL ASAP to make an assigned flight. It's possible her time in ATL was limited and she could not afford to check it.

I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. I suppose it would have been better service to put her bag in the closet and leave room for pax in the overhead, but the closets might have already been full.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by Chris92Heel
Do flight attendants traveling for work get some sort of priority?
Yes, although most are more discrete & courteous than what you observed. In particular, deadheading crew members are a high priority because without them, planes elsewhere will not fly.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!
Come on folks. Why are you taking the positive side of this encounter?

Maybe the FA was just looking out for #1. How many people can honestly say they have never ever done that before?
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:16 pm

In practice: yes.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by elmococker
Come on folks. Why are you taking the positive side of this encounter?

Maybe the FA was just looking out for #1. How many people can honestly say they have never ever done that before?
It's possible, but I just focused on the ? at the end of his post. Do they have priority?

Sometimes, yes. Flight attendants are sometimes classed as + space non revs and can be a higher priority than most pax.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by elmococker
That is very possible but without knowing, let's assume otherwise.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL AA
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
It's possible, but I just focused on the ? at the end of his post. Do they have priority?

Sometimes, yes. Flight attendants are sometimes classed as + space non revs and can be a higher priority than most pax.
she had a seat - I didn't see any reason for her to cut the line
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
The OP says this was the line for boarding that she cut, not security. This means she was in rush to catch a plane. She was already at the gate. No excuse for cutting in line. She was probably worried about finding carryon space.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 7:57 pm

I'm presuming that all zones were called for boarding. Deadhead crew would have confirmed seats and would board in a zone.. not necessarily Zone 9. The OP was not clear on this point, but it sounded like all zones were called for boarding. If not, certainly less to complain about.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:09 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
If it bothers you so much, get your own uniform!
Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:11 pm

Programs: Skyteam
I see people working inside the airport cut front of TSA lines all the time. You might be 30 seconds behind, maybe the person in front of you might lose their job.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by skchin
I see people working inside the airport cut front of TSA lines all the time. You might be 30 seconds behind, maybe the person in front of you might lose their job.
That's completely unrelated to this thread.

FAs, pilots, airline employees ALWAYS cut in front of the line at SECURITY. That's normal practice and not the issue here. We're talking about cutting in line at the gate for non-working FAs. Totally different story.
Old Nov 17, 2008, 8:54 pm

It sometimes truly amazes me to see what the Flyertalk crowd focuses and concentrates on when you are flying.

It's actually quite scary and disturbing....

Old Nov 17, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
Originally Posted by DLBeno
It sometimes truly amazes me to see what the Flyertalk crowd focuses and concentrates on when you are flying.

It's actually quite scary and disturbing....

That's why I counseled letting it go. Everyone made the flight and someone had to check a bag. Trauma.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.