Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Chapel Hill, NC [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Chapel Hill, NC [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 5:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: MR Plat, SPG Plat, HH
Arrow Sheraton Chapel Hill, NC [Master Thread]

any reviews on this property? My company just changed the "corporate" rate to this property from a CY. TripAdvisor notes that it's been under renovation. Thanks for any info.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 10:28 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Thumbs up

Stayed at this property a couple of times, last stay was in oktober this year. When checking in (was stil a prefferd guest) I was upgraded to a clubfloor room witch was recently renovated and very nice. the room was Huge and had a nice HDTV with HD chanels. The restaurant was under renovation, but I think it is suppost to open again this month. that is the only thing I noticed to be under construction.

the Hotel has a outside pool, but it was'nt very nice, but o.k. for a quick dip in the water. there is a free shuttle service to anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel its driven by a unc student.

overall I liked this hotel the staff was very nice and expecially the barmen was nice to talk to.

(this is my first post here on FT)
Old Nov 19, 2008, 11:22 am
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to FlyerTalk and the Starwood forum, thomas199023. Thanks for your first post, which is the first to offer information about the Sheraton Chapel Hill. I hope that you'll both find valuable information here, and will continue to help us out by sharing your experiences.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:58 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Great place for dinner if you're staying at the Chapel Hill Sheraton: Il Palio at the Siena Hotel.

Last edited by Helena Handbaskets; Nov 23, 2008 at 1:37 pm Reason: correct spelling error
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Delta Gold, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum,
I have had 6 stays at the Sheraton Chapel Hill this year.

The front desk people are always very friendly and go out of their way to recognize platinum.

Suites are hard to come by during the week. I went 2 for 6 according to the ole spreadsheet during 2008.

Once I checked in ahead of a couple who were there for some R&R. The husband was back on a 30 day leave from Iraq and while standing in line they told me they just wanted to get away for the night from home. When I got to the desk and was told I had a suite upgrade, I insisted they give it to the couple. They were thankful and the hotel manager later sent me a bottle of wine and a Thank You for my offer. Kind of made me full good also.

The rooms are kind of a modern European chic feel on the club level. The property used to be the Hotel Europa back in the day thus the feel and quasi continental look.

Nice plasma screen on the wall. Every stay there, they have brought up a welcome gift. Usually 2 waters, a coke or diet coke, desert, fruit tray or something along those lines.

They also do a turn down service every night on the club level and will leave 2 more waters if the earlier ones are gone.

Breakfast was comped until summer. They stopped with no mention of why. Room service is very good but a little over priced for North Carolina.

The only problem I ever had was someone walking in / waiting for me in my room when I went to get ice one time. They sold the room twice. I was a little POed to say the least. The manager handled the situation perfectly and took care of the problem after listening to me vent for a few minutes. They comped me 7000 points and dinner that night.

Construction was going strong last year and into the early half of this year, but by July was almost over. My last trip there was in September and I did not see any work going on.

Internet is comped to platinum but was very slow. I mentioned it to the front desk manager once and he said they had new servers for the WIFI going in. I never checked on the last trip to see if it was faster. Wired internet was always quicker and I travel with a 50 foot cord.

Free Parking on site but it can get full quickly late at night.

The place is very close to the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill so you see many people there visiting the school. They also seem to book quit a few sports teams here also. The hotel is NOT NOT walkable to the school or to Franklin street. Every time was in the lobby complaining about how far it is to downtown. There is NOTHING within walking distance of the hotel.

All and all a pretty good place. Nice entry / lobby, good front desk, quiet rooms, renovated through out.

HELPFUL GRANNY HINT 101 - Of all the SPG hotels in the RTP area, this is usually the last one to fill up on a week night. After about 8PM they will discount rooms on site. I have walked in with no reso and scored a room for $79. ($159 on line) The clerk once told me they had a contest to sell rooms to walk ins and could earn a bonus. Needless to say they will discount to fill the rooms and earn the bonuses.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 6:55 am

I stayed at this Sheraton March 10-11th. The hotel is working on a renovation of the lobby, so for the moment, you check in at the back of the hotel -- there are plenty of signs directing you so it isn't difficult to find.

The health club is not open (and I did not ask if it will re-open) so they are sending guests to a local Peak Fitness, which is a very good facility.

As there is no Club at the hotel, they gave me a coupon for a $12.00 credit for breakfast at Shula's 347 Grill, which is open and operating.

The room renovations were nicely done -- it is still an older facility, so there are limits to what can happen, but the rooms are comfortable, with LG LCD tvs.

All in all, a solid and reasonable choice in the area.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, SPG Plat, Hertz President's Circle
Stayed at this hotel last week. Got upgraded to club floor. Renovated rooms were nice. Probably did not get upgraded to suite, because Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan were staying there. I'm guessing they had the suites.

Fitness center was up and running (pun intended). It is the new sheraton style and very nice.

They said that the lounge is still not ready. That is the last things scheduled in the renovation, which they must be working on now, since the rest of the hotel looked complete. They were still giving out the coupons for breakfast at Shulas.

Staff was friendly. They said that the hotel was the smallest Sheraton, which I tend to like.

For dinner or bar, I would recommend the Top of the Hill (100 E Franklin). They brew their own beer and it is very good. The food was surprisingly excellent. I recommend taking the hotel shuttle there. The restaurant is on the 3rd floor and has a nice view of the area.

Not sure why the property was a category 2 vs cat 3 for all of the others in the area. Probably because of the pre-renovated rates. From the reviews of the area, the four points looked good, but I just used points. Was able to get 2 rooms for about the same as 1 room at the others.

I would go back to this hotel.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: SPG LTP (let me live my fantasy), UAL 1K/MM, SWA A-list, Alaska Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
No thank you. I had a two night stay booked and checked out a day early, moving to the Aloft Chapel Hill for tonight. It got a cheap facelift, but the hotel is just plain old and tired. Beds are new, but the tub and the bathrooms are dreadfully old, mold in the shower.

Also, if you get there late (1030pm) your only option for food is the mcdonalds a block away. And, no one was able to find a corkscrew on the property. That really should have been the sign for me to check out right then and there!

Morning front desk manager was very nice and offerred to take my comments and said they appreciate the feedback. He did suggest that I move rooms, but I was ready to go!
Old Jun 7, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: MR PL, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Gold, UA Silver, WN A-LIst, National EE
I want to echo the positive reviews of this hotel - but, from a different point-of-view.

I used to be a SPG Platinum. Over the years, I shifted most of my business towards Marriott and now Hyatt. I never really had a problem with SPG, but Westins (and better properties) tended to be a little out of my price range, while Sharatons (and 4P) seemed dated and simply "less" than their equivalent counterparts at other chains. To that end, I have not stayed at many Sheratons recently.

I was really surprised at just how nice this property is - and, on a weekend rate that, with tax, still came to less than $100. As a base member, I went in with no expectations - breakfast, upgrades, etc. I didn't get any of those things, but their basic product is good. I know that they guarantee 4 pm late checkout to elite members, but was granted 2 pm checkout with no problem upon request. I usually have to beg and plead with Marriott for even a 1 pm checkout at some places.

The wi-fi in the room was comped, and I didn't find it to be too slow, as others have mentioned. The front desk clerk that checked me in on Sunday afternoon was also there Monday morning. When I called and asked for late checkout, he answered the phone and addressed me by name (which is somewhat difficult to pronounce, so I figure he'd remembered from the day before). He was at the front desk when I checked out, saw me coming from across the lobby and came out from behind the desk to shake my hand, made direct eye contact and thanked me for my stay - addressing me again by name, without being prompted by the phone or any other indicators. The guy was good - and I have an email heading off to the GM to compliment the guy.

If they treat their elites even marginally better than they treated this "base" level member, it would be as much as I could ask for in any hotel stay.

Almost makes me want to come back to Starwood full-time!
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
It's the start of the year and now debating between chalking up stays with SPG or Hyatt (which I moved to in 2H 2011). Had stayed at the Sheraton Chapel Hill and Aloft Chapel Hill earlier last year and frankly, not terribly impressed with both. Trying to pick between the 2 right now and came up with the following list :

Sheraton CH :
Downside - Walking distance to nothing, building old and some room features tired.
Upside - Friendly staff, decent lounge, right off freeway.

Aloft CH :
Downside - Noisy AC units, traffic getting there during rush hour, small rooms.
Upside - Able to walk to 1 or 2 restaurants, covered parking.

Nothing really strikes me as a deal breaker but any recent stays and changes I missed? THanks.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I realize this is an older thread, but does anybody have any recent reports for this property?

Spending the night in a few days and just curious what to expect. Sounds like a typical Sheraton experience, no?
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I realize this is an older thread, but does anybody have any recent reports for this property?

Spending the night in a few days and just curious what to expect. Sounds like a typical Sheraton experience, no?
I spent one night at Sheraton Chapel Hill last week. Reservation was made same day afternoon and then check in after 10 PM. No upgrade, but I wasn't expecting one with same day reservation.

The hotel is fairly standard Sheraton, especially for a college town (don't expect a nice business hotel). Club lounge was small with minimal fare for breakfast, although there is a coffee machine that makes OK cappuccino.

The staff is friendly which makes the stay reasonable.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 1:46 am

The rooms here are ok, but the AC and plumbing are old (=rather noisy). Also ask for a room facing the back. They only have two suites, and they are basically two connecting rooms. I did not have breakfast in the lounge, but the breakfast served in the restaurant was quite poor - and the area ice cold. They do however have a nice pool, and a not too shabby fitness room. And the location is IMO better than the other SPG options in the area.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies

I stayed here 10/26 for a week. They had the fire alarm go off at like 3 AM and it took them 60-70 minutes to get the alarm turned off. It was very annoying.

Nothing memorable for me about the stay otherwise.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks for the reviews. Spent last Monday night at this property, followed by 4 nights at the Aloft. Had I not needed extra stays, I probably would have skipped this property.

Club lounge was closed due to Thanksgiving, though they did offer continental breakfast in the restaurant. Had breakfast with my family, so didn't take them up on that offer.

Room seemed decent and for the price paid, pretty good for Chapel Hill. I'll post a pic or two in the morning.

Overall, the property was ok. I hope to try them out one more time when I visit N.C. in January. Would be good to see what the property is like when the lounge is open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.