Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page >

PROMO ENROLLMENT CLOSED: Up to 150% mile bonus for most miles earned through year-end

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO ENROLLMENT CLOSED: Up to 150% mile bonus for most miles earned through year-end

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff

Delta is running a promotion whereby a bonus will be awarded for all mileage earned between 13NOV and 31DEC.

You can earn a bonus of up to 150% of miles earned when you earn over 10,000 miles, and lower bonuses for lesser earning.

There is a detailed list of qualifying earning partners. Notably, they do include credit card mileage as well as conversions from other sources (e.g. Diners Club points, Starwood, etc.). Frustratingly, miles earned by flying (on DL or partners) do not qualify. So once again, a mega-promo that does not reward people for flying.

The signup page mentions "buying miles," which I find on the list under "shopping and other" as "Buy/Gift Miles." It would be interesting to stack this promo with some of the promos they have on those transactions. As it is, my calculations indicate that converting 20,000 SPG points yields 62,500 skymiles. (20,000 Starpoints is transferred with a 5,000 point bonus. 25,000 Skymiles earned become 62,500 after the 150% bonus.) But maybe I am misinterpreting?

Originally Posted by T&C
Some T&C:
Earn up to a 150% mileage bonus. Earn 1,000-4,999 base miles from participating non-airline SkyMiles partner activities between November 13 and December 31, 2008, and earn a 50% mileage bonus of the base miles earned from eligible partner activity during that time period. Earn 5,000-9,999 base miles from participating non-airline SkyMiles partner activities between November 13 and December 31, 2008, and earn a 100% mileage bonus of the base miles earned from eligible partner activity during that time period. Earn 10,000 base miles or more from participating non-airline SkyMiles partner activities between November 13 and December 31, 2008, and earn a 150% mileage bonus of the base miles earned from eligible partner activities during that time period. Partner offers subject to the terms and conditions of each individual offer. Flight activity on Delta or partner airlines is not eligible for this promotion.

Mod: Please edit my thread title to read "Up to 150% mileage bonus for most miles earned through year-end"

Last edited by andymo99; Nov 19, 2008 at 7:47 am
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:41 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Thanks for making my miles less and less valuable Delta, much appreciated. Print those miles as fast as you can!!

Last edited by troyb; Nov 19, 2008 at 6:46 am
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:46 am

Thanks for the heads up.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:47 am

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
Here we go again...
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:50 am

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
This is incredible! Thank you for the post! I just signed up without problem! I'm flying MQMs and will transfer lots of miles over.

What I *love* is the ability for people that are near / have reached the MQM levels on Delta AmEx credit cards to sign up and get the bonus from credit card activity. I just received 30,000 MQMs from my business and personal Delta MQM cards. Combine that with pouring miles in and there's a great opportunity to become mileage rich!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:52 am

Programs: Delta - PM / MM, UA 1K Starwood-Gold
Why would an airline reward customers for flying?

Silly rabbit, trix are for kids !
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
Thank you Andy!
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:57 am

Programs: DL PM
Hmmm...miles raining down for free while redemptions go through the roof. It's getting tough to keep track of what a mile costs me and near impossible to anticipate how many I'll need to redeem for my trip of choice. Meanwhile, this all does nothing to incentivize me to actually fly a revenue ticket on DL.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Thanks for the heads up. Was holding onto my SPG points for hotels, but this offer may be too good to pass up.

Originally Posted by Feather Man
Why would an airline reward customers for flying?
Good question. Promotions like this increase cash flow in the near-term in a way that rewarding flying doesn't. In a down-turn it is a great opportunity to shore up your financials for Q4. I am pretty darn certain that the mileage-selling arm of DL makes money. I am less certain that the flying arm does.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 6:58 am

My mistake there isn't an additional %30 for SPG

Last edited by fredpeckville; Nov 19, 2008 at 12:19 pm
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:02 am

Strange. Can't see how this would help DL's bottom line in any way. Perhaps just more "free" miles before the next big devaluation/enhancement. Why do I have the feeling we'll get devaluation news early next year?
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:02 am

I wonder if the bonus miles (aka Miles Boost) will qualify for this promo if they post during the promotional period. With increase in award prices (generally) this helps ease the pain and imo reset the playing field closer to back to even.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Ironically my AMEX credit card statement closed on Nov 13...does that mean that the miles that posted on the 14th automatically count? or does it mean that whatever I spend between Nov 13 and end of promo are what counts. Is it the actual spending date or the actual posting date that counts?

This seems similar to NW promos where there are different thresholds to cross.
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by fredpeckville
posting this wirelessly but I believe there is a 30 percent bonus already on spg so actually counting that it would be 20k spg for 70k delta

it seems there is no 1.5x bonus on the 30 percent as per rules but it would be nice it that was multiplied to
Fred, can you source this when you get online? All that I can find is 30% bonus for AX transfers, which is also a nice boost for this program. EDITED TO NOTE THAT AMEX TRANSFERS ARE NOT ON THE ELIGIBLE LIST.

ALSO EDITED TO NOTE The signup page mentions "buying miles," which I find on the list under "shopping and other" as "Buy/Gift Miles." I recall a generous bonus for buymiles and transfer miles, but can't find them now. Anyone?

Last edited by andymo99; Nov 19, 2008 at 7:48 am
Old Nov 19, 2008, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by El Boocho
I wonder if the bonus miles (aka Miles Boost) will qualify for this promo if they post during the promotional period. With increase in award prices (generally) this helps ease the pain and imo reset the playing field closer to back to even.
I wondered the same - since my second mileage boost of the year posted a few days ago...

My guess, based on the language used in the promotion, is that miles that are already "bonus" miles don't count (and the mileage boost posts in the "bonus" column on skymiles account - I just checked), while miles that aren't already bonus miles (and post in the left-hand miles column - not marked "bonus") are what they mean by "base" miles for the purposes of this promotion.

That's just my guess, though - I could be wrong. Indeed, if it meas they'll consider mileage boost miles base miles for this promotion, I hope I am wrong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.