Terrorist attacks on Bombay hotels

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Terrorist attacks on Bombay hotels

The Oberoi and Taj Mahal hotels in Bombay have been raided by terrorists and there are hotel guests who have been killed or wounded by gun fire from terrorists. At least two attacks have taken place.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 1:40 pm

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Wife called and said they are targeting certain ethnic groups. Any truth to that?

Got my answer. How sad.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 2:40 pm

There is a video stream from CNN-IBN here: http://ibnlive.in.com/videos/video_streaming.php
Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Aeroplan,Skymiles, HiltonHonors, SPG
Westerners and cops targeted

MP Krishna Das, additional commissioner Ashok Kamte and the chief of the Mumbai anti-terrorism squad, Hemant Karkare, are amongst those killed, along with seven policemen.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
Eyewitness reports say terrorist gunmen sought American and British hostages, as at least 80 people were killed and hundreds injured in a series of coordinated terror attacks in southern Mumbai.

As many as 900 people are injured and in hospitals across the city, according to the Times of India.
A group calling itself the "Deccan Mujahedeen" has claimed responsibility for the attacks, according to the Press Trust of India.
At least seven attacks were reported, with terrorists wielding heavy machine guns, including AK-47s and grenades.

There have been mixed reports of attacks at the Leopold Cafe, the Ville Parte, the Oberoi Hotel, the Trident Hotel, the Taj Mahal Palace Hotel, the Nariman House, the Colaba, the CST train station's Victoria terminus and the JW Marriott hotel.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Wor...umbai%2C_India
Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:32 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
so, should we all call the non-elite phone numbers (instead of the elite numbers) for our airlines?

ok, i know, in poor taste but seriously, thoughts and prayers to those who are there
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:16 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
This is indeed shocking. Looks like CNN and other "news" media has been
covering this, but I do not see any new fact/information flowing through.

Any idea is the hostage situation is still on or not?

Hope its over soon with little or no more casualties.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
What they said on ABC evening news tonight: One unnamed hotel attacked is the layover hotel for NW/DL flight crews. DL says all employees accounted for. DL sending a plane to evacuate all personnel. ALL regular flights to Mumbai then CANCELLED.

I guess the daily DL 184 ATL-BOM nonstop (wow, 16 hr 15 min on a 777) is affected, but delta still shows tomorrow's flight as going.

NW has a ticket waiver up on nwa, and tomorrow's NW 34 AMS-BOM is shown as "Cancelled due to airport conditions."
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:26 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
I just checked a few flight status in and out of BOM. Some delayed.. and
some are still showing on time.

DL flight 184 shows "In Flight"
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by cpx

Police are reportedly limited media reporting (and have cut tv access in the hotels) in order to limit info flow to the hostage-takers. If it were to help save lives of hostages, I'm willing to sit & wait for details. There are no indications on news reports that the hostage situations have been resolved & in fact some govt official reportedly said a little while ago that things have not been resolved hostage-wise.

Best wishes to all involved.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:58 pm

Possible 3rd Hostage Situation

CNN is now reporting that there is an alleged 3rd hostage situation at a hospital for women and children in the same general area of town as the rest of the attacks. That's so sad.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cpx

This is an awful tragedy and some hostages are still suspected of being held, pinned down or perhaps some even moved (which could drag this thing out for a while).

At the highest levels in Delhi, officials are still not clear about everything as they have been getting mixed information and passing that along.

Dawood Ibrahim's network is almost certainly involved. How much will become clearer in some time, but there are also other cross border elements involved which have not been finding official quarter as much as they used to.

I have unfortunately been expecting something almost exactly like this for quite some time now in either one or both of Delhi and Bombay.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Telfes
CNN is now reporting that there is an alleged 3rd hostage situation at a hospital for women and children in the same general area of town as the rest of the attacks. That's so sad.
That situation has been the case for going on at least four hours now. The media has been covering this in India for quite some time although even their movements are restricted to a serious extent.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blank Sheet
Wife called and said they are targeting certain ethnic groups. Any truth to that?

Got my answer. How sad.
They were looking for Americans and Brits, including of various ethnicities.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
This blog seems to suggest some interesting stuff, no idea of the credibilty of it.

http://naxaliterage.com/

Initial OSINT reveals that the attackers (unknown number) essentially invaded Mumbai with explosives laden boats, armed to the teeth. This vector allowed them to bypass all hard security obstacles. Upon landing their craft, they spread out with a loose fluid list of targets.

Aside from initial penetration and equipment acquisition, it seems that highly autonomous units were told to simply create chaos while possible. Some went mobile (stealing police vehicles and opening fire on crowds), destroying petrol pumps, random gunfire at key transportation hubs. Others sought to hunt down and target American and British citizens at key economic targets, and are now holed up fighting for their lives.
An attack at night is designed to bypass the obstacles associated with day to day life in one of the densest urban centers in the world. Those seeking to attack the stationary targets (the hotels) were able to reach their targets in record time at a peak social hour. If that was the intent of the timing, it succeeded.

If the intent was to allow the mobile operatives to fan out, we may soon see a series of second order events as daylight breaks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.