Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Left Designer Jeans in Room but "Not Found" by Fairfax DC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Left Designer Jeans in Room but "Not Found" by Fairfax DC

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Angry Left Designer Jeans in Room but "Not Found" by Fairfax DC

OK, so basically this is just a post to vent my dissatisfaction with the Fairfax Embassy Row in DC. I booked into the hotel two weekends ago using points while I did some apartment hunting as I will be relocating to the area for work. Upon getting to my room I noticed that the garbage hadn't been emptied subsequent to the last guest. It was just papers and such so I didn't make a big deal about it but it did indicate to me that perhaps the servicing of rooms between guests might be something less than 100% thorough. Anyway, this came back to "haunt" me in some respects upon checking out and flying back to NY. When I left the hotel I was in something of a hurry and completely overlooked the pair of designer jeans that I had folded up and left in one of the drawers in the bedside dresser. I realized it as soon as I got home a few hours later and immediately called the hotel. After being placed on hold for a good 10 - 15 minutes the line was picked up and I was told they couldn't locate anyone in security to go check the room so they took my name and number and promised to call back shortly. Fast forward four days and still no call. I call the hotel back and after being switched around and placed on hold a few times, I was finally told the room was reoccupied and that there was no way the jeans could still be in there. "Really??" I asked myself remembering the garbage can faux pas. I pressed to have them re-check the room and call me, and they "promised" to do so but they were convinced the jeans were not there since housekeeping had turned the room over for the new guest. Now a week later, still no call. So basically at this point I'm feeling like 1) housekeeping never cleared the dresser drawers and the new guest found my jeans and kept them or 2) housekeeping found the jeans and kept them, since in my experience these things don't just walk away on their own. At the end of the day I'm out $200 for the jeans which I realize is partially my own darn fault since I am the one who left them in the room in the first place. However, at the same time I also feel dissatisfied with the steps taken by the hotel to locate and reunite me with my trusty jeans and am using this post to vent to my fellow FT'ers . Thanks for "listening"!
Old Mar 16, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Fairmont Premier, DL, CO
Originally Posted by mare0114
OK, so basically this is just a post to vent my dissatisfaction with the Fairfax Embassy Row in DC. I booked into the hotel two weekends ago using points while I did some apartment hunting as I will be relocating to the area for work. Upon getting to my room I noticed that the garbage hadn't been emptied subsequent to the last guest. It was just papers and such so I didn't make a big deal about it but it did indicate to me that perhaps the servicing of rooms between guests might be something less than 100% thorough. Anyway, this came back to "haunt" me in some respects upon checking out and flying back to NY. When I left the hotel I was in something of a hurry and completely overlooked the pair of designer jeans that I had folded up and left in one of the drawers in the bedside dresser. I realized it as soon as I got home a few hours later and immediately called the hotel. After being placed on hold for a good 10 - 15 minutes the line was picked up and I was told they couldn't locate anyone in security to go check the room so they took my name and number and promised to call back shortly. Fast forward four days and still no call. I call the hotel back and after being switched around and placed on hold a few times, I was finally told the room was reoccupied and that there was no way the jeans could still be in there. "Really??" I asked myself remembering the garbage can faux pas. I pressed to have them re-check the room and call me, and they "promised" to do so but they were convinced the jeans were not there since housekeeping had turned the room over for the new guest. Now a week later, still no call. So basically at this point I'm feeling like 1) housekeeping never cleared the dresser drawers and the new guest found my jeans and kept them or 2) housekeeping found the jeans and kept them, since in my experience these things don't just walk away on their own. At the end of the day I'm out $200 for the jeans which I realize is partially my own darn fault since I am the one who left them in the room in the first place. However, at the same time I also feel dissatisfied with the steps taken by the hotel to locate and reunite me with my trusty jeans and am using this post to vent to my fellow FT'ers . Thanks for "listening"!
I had a similar occurrence at a Hyatt Regency recently, however it was handled much better. I had forgotten a pair of pants in the closet and realized shortly after leaving the hotel. I called and was told the pants were found and would be stored in the Executive Housekeeper's office or sent to me. Since I stay at this hotel semi-regularly, I elected to have them stored at the hotel. When I returned to the hotel a few weeks later, I was told that they were lost. The Executive Housekeeper was overly apologetic and advised that I buy a new, comparable pair of pants and send them the bill for reimbursement. I did so and was quickly sent a check for the full amount of the pants ($150) along with breakfast vouchers for a future stay. I would expect similar treatment from a hotel like the Fairfax, surprising they are not more accommodating.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
One thing I've always thought was weird about this is that luxury hotels do not call YOU when they find something valuable left behind in a room.

I left a bag of hanging clothes (including a nice suit) in the closet at a St. Regis a couple years ago before flying out for a vacation. I didn't realize they were missing until I got home from the because they were my work clothes so I didn't miss them while on the vacation.

When I called they had them and mailed them to me promptly, but obviously I wouldn't purposely leave expensive clothing in the hotel room so I don't understand why hotels don't call you when these types of things happen.

That was the only time I've left something really valuable, but I have also forgotten a pair of shoes, a swimsuit, etc. (if you can't tell I used to be somewhat forgetful) and each time I always had to call before they were located and returned. I wouldn't expect a Best Western to proactively call when something is left, but I would expect a Westin, W, and especially a St. Regis to do so (obviously not for every phone charger or toothbrush), but this has not ONCE been the case for me.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Years ago I was staying at a Marriott property in Seattle. I had left my portable CD player in a desk drawer. This was around the time where a portable CD player + headphones was around $200.

When I realized I had left it, I didn't even bother to call thinking it was my mistake and I would never get it back. About a week later I got a package in the mail with my belongings carefully wrapped. They even paid the postage.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:12 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by spgplat21
One thing I've always thought was weird about this is that luxury hotels do not call YOU when they find something valuable left behind in a room.
I've found this strange also. I have been told it is a "privacy" issue.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spgplat21
One thing I've always thought was weird about this is that luxury hotels do not call YOU when they find something valuable left behind in a room.....
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I've found this strange also. I have been told it is a "privacy" issue.
Yes, it is a privacy issue. What if they called and your SO answered? You may have a lot of explaining to do if you are not supposed to be at that hotel that night.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Yeah I can definitely see the privacy concern, but I still think an e-mail wouldn't be a huge concern for SPG members, especially since the reservations and often the folios get e-mailed to you anyways. I tend to think this is more of a money maker for the hotel who I'm assuming liquidates the property at some point. Or also a money saver since it would take additional staff to make contact and ship the items.

If privacy is the reason, I wish there was an opt-in feature for people that are forgetful like myself.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 5:38 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TerryK
Yes, it is a privacy issue. What if they called and your SO answered? You may have a lot of explaining to do if you are not supposed to be at that hotel that night.
I agree with spgplat21 that the privacy reason doesn't hold much weight if they're emailing you confirmation notices.

There was a general story not long ago about the quantity of things that get left at hotels. Tons of cellphone chargers among other things. I suspect it's far more likely that they don't want to make it a full-time job for someone to contact people about left items, which I basically understand, but I agree you expect more at a very small property or a high-end property.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:53 pm

I left something in a room at a Middle East property last year. By the time I had flown home they had e-mailed me asking if I would like them to send it to me or keep it for my next visit. It was a Four Points.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:29 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Last week at the Sheraton Hong Kong my coworker left a brush and some unmentionables in her room and they sent and email asking what they should do with them.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:47 pm

In the end the Hotel takes "all care but no responsibility" for personal items left behind in a room.
Their insurers will not have it any other way and would refer you to your insurers.
Otherwise the Hotel would be vulnerable to every opportunist and scammer who would demand compensation for items that were never there.
Where does it end?
It ends with you taking full responsibility for your own possessions.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by mare0114
Sorry, but it was your responsibility to pack your clothes, now you feel as if the hotel is somehow at fault, when the entire ordeal was caused by something you did/did not do.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
I wonder if there's an official policy on this?
I understand the privacy issues but a simple email or direct call (e.g. can I speak to Ms. Lost - not a voicemail) might be helpful. It could even be vague as in "Starwood would like to discuss a matter with you, please call as soon as you can"
Old Mar 16, 2011, 9:53 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Sorry, but it was your responsibility to pack your clothes, now you feel as if the hotel is somehow at fault, when the entire ordeal was caused by something you did/did not do.
While yes, it was ultimately mare0114's responsibility in packing the clothes. mare0114 did contact the hotel immediately and was told they would follow up. A luxury hotel should at least follow up as promised and from what I can gather from the story they had no clue if there was any type of investigation. If it was me, I would file a complaint with corporate and go from there.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 10:05 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OWE)
Originally Posted by aussiechris
In the end the Hotel takes "all care but no responsibility" for personal items left behind in a room.
Their insurers will not have it any other way and would refer you to your insurers.
Otherwise the Hotel would be vulnerable to every opportunist and scammer who would demand compensation for items that were never there.
Where does it end?
It ends with you taking full responsibility for your own possessions.

But the story, and repeated experience, demonstrates hotels taking no responsibility and no care.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.