Booking multiple rooms for a Platinum

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2002, 7:03 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Booking multiple rooms for a Platinum

I recall seeing this discussed before, but I haven't found much in searches. And I've never done it before -

I need to book two rooms for the same set of dates at the Essex House in December. Would both be eligible for an upgrade as a Platinum?
Old Sep 5, 2002, 7:36 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
PHL Correct or not on numerous double and
triple room bookings all have been upgraded.
Of course some better than others.
Old Sep 5, 2002, 7:42 am

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum74/HTML/003078.html
Old Sep 5, 2002, 10:27 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold, Skymiles Gold, Staralliance Gold
Another question about a similar topic...

May I make a reservation for a free stay and for a paid stay at the same hotel at the same time ? If both reservations are under my name and I pay for the not-free room, would I get the stay and points credit?
Old Sep 15, 2002, 7:54 pm

Technically, the hotel is not required to upgrade if the stay is not a "paid" stay. I have had hotels upgrade for this....it's entirely up to them. In all instances, I have had multiple rooms upgraded except when I booked 12 rooms in Boston one time. Only 3 were upgraded.

------------------
AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Starwood Platinum
Old Sep 17, 2002, 8:56 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
That's incorrect. A hotel is supposed to give the same Platinum treatment to someone on an award stay that they would give to someone on a paid stay. You should alert Customer Care if you feel a hotel did not extend you Platinum benefits on an SPG award stay.
Old Sep 17, 2002, 9:06 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PMASON:
Technically, the hotel is not required to upgrade if the stay is not a "paid" stay. </font>
wrong.

you sound like anyone who works at the front desk of any st. regis.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 09-17-2002).]
Old Jan 16, 2003, 1:15 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I thought this was better then starting a brand new one.

The linked older message appears to have expired, so here's my specific question:

I have a work collegue that I travel with sometimes. He has no status with Starwood (but he's working on it) while I am Platinum. If I book both rooms is it possible to get both upgraded? I don't care about suites, I just like club floors or nicer rooms.

I do this all the time with Alaska Airlines since I can book the ticket for both of us and since I'm MVP Gold we both fly first class.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 3:42 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bworrell:
I have a work collegue that I travel with sometimes. He has no status with Starwood (but he's working on it) while I am Platinum. If I book both rooms is it possible to get both upgraded? I don't care about suites, I just like club floors or nicer rooms.</font>
In my experience, if you make two separate reservations using your name and SPG Platinum number, you'll most likely receive upgraded treatment in both rooms. Please note that this is a glitch rather than a guaranteed benefit of the SPG program, so your mileage may vary.

I recently stayed at a Starwood property where I had booked five rooms under my name. I received stay and night credit for all five, and was awarded the 500-point Platinum amenity for all five rooms. Mind you, I suspect this particular property didn't see too many Platinum members and were just offering good customer service.

Old Jan 16, 2003, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bworrell:
[B]Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I thought this was better then starting a brand new one.

The linked older message appears to have expired, so here's my specific question:

I have a work collegue that I travel with sometimes. He has no status with Starwood (but he's working on it) while I am Platinum. If I book both rooms is it possible to get both upgraded? I don't care about suites, I just like club floors or nicer rooms.

B]</font>
I have answered this a number of times, and will again. Rules are, one credit, one upgrade.

In practice, very good chance of 2 credits, 2 upgrades. You don't have any options, so book it with the hope of a system error, and credits and upgrades.

Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
My experience with making a booking for more than one room at the same property, for the same nights, under my name with my Plat status, is that the other party also received an upgrade to Club level at a Sheraton, as did I. [Second party's name -- family -- was included in the "special requests" box when booking on web site.]

I received points for both rooms as they were billed to my portfolio, a single Plat amenity and web booking bonus of 500 Starpoints each, but as expected just received one stay credit, and the three nights [rather than two stay credits and six nights].

Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:29 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
My experience with making a booking for more than one room at the same property, for the same nights, under my name with my Plat status, is that the other party also received an upgrade to Club level at a Sheraton, as did I. [Second party's name -- family -- was included in the "special requests" box when booking on web site.]</font>
That's about what I was hoping for. I don't want make two seperate reservations, and I don't want to pay for the second room (I figured my work collegue would switch the second room to his name.) I just wonder what the official stance is.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 4:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by fly co to see the yanks:
wrong.

you sound like anyone who works at the front desk of any st. regis.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 09-17-2002).]
</font>

I was just going on what I've been told by Starwood... Of course I've seen it both ways in practice.

------------------
AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont President's Club Gold, Hyatt Diamond

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.