Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Earning points for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Earning points for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2003, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Exclamation FAQ: Earning points for multiple rooms [Master Thread]

I am recently new to the SPG program and am unfamiliar with all aspects of the program. I have searched the SPG site and cannot find the answer to my question. Before I call SPG, I would like to ask the Starwood experts on this board a question about how stays and points are calculated.

Recently I booked three rooms for two nights at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit in Bangkok using my SPG membership number. One room was for myself and the other two were for family members.

The three room accounts and additional charges were consolidated onto one bill which I paid with my MasterCard on check-out.

When I check my account activity on spg.com, it shows that I earned one stay of two nights. Is this correct or should I have earned credits for the other two rooms I booked and paid for?

Many thanks for your assistance.

------------------
Latitudes.

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilisation, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints.
Robert Louis Stevenson (1850–1894)
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:57 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
The information is also at spg.com under the Terms and Conditions of Membership:

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...onditions.html

4. Starpoints can only be earned for amounts actually paid with respect to Eligible Charges. Starpoints cannot be earned in conjunction with complimentary, barter or award stays. Starpoints can be earned for eligible incidental charges paid for during these stays. If you are a registered guest, you may receive Starpoints for Eligible Charges up to three rooms (i.e., your room plus two others) if all such rooms are registered in your name and you personally settle all room charges upon checkout. Multiple rooms on the same stay count as only one "stay" in order to earn elite levels of membership and for threshold bonuses and promotions. Starpoints can be earned on charges for no-shows and early departure fees, less taxes and service charges; however, these earnings will not count as a "stay" in order to earn elite levels of membership or for threshold bonuses and promotions.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jul 30, 2003, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. From what I understand I can have the nights for all three rooms credited to my account. I'll call SPG now.

Thanks again.

------------------
Latitudes.

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move; to feel the needs and hitches of our life more nearly; to come down off this feather-bed of civilisation, and find the globe granite underfoot and strewn with cutting flints.
Robert Louis Stevenson (1850–1894)
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:48 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Latitudes:
Thank you both for your replies. From what I understand I can have the nights for all three rooms credited to my account. I'll call SPG now.

Thanks again.

</font>
Actually, what the Terms and Conditions say is that you can have credit for the money spent on three rooms provided they are registered in your name and you personally settle the charges at check-out. It will still be a single stay for two nights regardless of the number of rooms.

Calling will probably result in a request to fax your folios to Program Services. I can save you a phone call. The fax number is 512-836-4002.

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:17 pm

I recently stayed at the W Times Square and had three rooms registered in my name. Upon check out, I settled all three rooms on my American Express account. The following day, point credit for all three rooms appeared on my SPG account, however, the day after, the points were removed for the 2 additional rooms.

I faxed my folios to the fax number mentioned above, however, the following day, a CSR emailed me advising that the hotel would need to resubmit the folios for credit. I've since have asked the hotel to resubmit the folios to SPG for credit but still no points.

Hotel guests should not be made to do so much work for points that should have posted to ones account to begin with.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 9:25 am

Exclamation FAQ: Platinum reserving multiple rooms

Sorry -- I'm sure this question has been asked and answered but the search function on the new boards is sooo slow.

I know if Plat reserves 2-4 rooms he gets the points for all the rooms but only one stay credit. However, what are the upgrade rules? Is he entitled to only have one room upgraded? Or 2? 3?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:25 am

I believe the official rule is that you're entitled to only one platinum upgrade.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:34 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
One upgrade (for sure) and points for 2 rooms (not sure because I think I might have this confused with some other program).
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Definitely one upgrade (maybe)

The Platinum member gets an upgrade (if available, of course) and that's it, according to the rules. However, the rules are not always followed when it comes to these things. I know someone who reserved three rooms at the same hotel for the same nights, all in different reservations (for family members). At check in, he checked his various family members into each room and paid with his credit card. The check-in person had three Platinum key folders for him. She gave him three Platinum amenity choice cards to complete and he completed all three. None of the rooms were upgraded, as the hotel was full. After the stay he received three stay credits and three 500-point Platinum amenities posted to his account. (I was so jealous! ) So, anything can happen.
Old Apr 21, 2004, 4:28 pm

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Plt upgrade and whatever with multi rooms

I think it is pure luck!! I have been given two 500's, up grade both parties and recieved the points for both rooms........then I have gotten my upgrade, 500 and nothing for other party...and ...have got a mix of all including creit for stays....so......good luck
Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:31 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
All depends on the hotel. I once booked two rooms at the Wall Centre in Vancouver. They upgraded both to suites.

Recently at Niagara Fallsview only 1 was ugpraded to a suite.

However, for both I received the nights stay and points. However, only one plat ammenity.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 5:27 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I've currently got two rooms at the Prince de Galles. Only one room upgraded (and only slightly) and only one amenity.

A few nights ago I had two rooms at the Trianon Palace. No upgrade, but two amenity gifts.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 5:30 am
Suspended

The Official SPG policy is that you only get one room upgraded, and points for up to 3 rooms (including yours) on the same folio. 1 stay credit and 1 night credit for each night of stay, ie 3 nights for 3 rooms still equals only 3 nights and one stay.

That being said it is possible to recieve anything from NO spg credits and points to 3 stays/ 9 nights and upgrades and ammenities on all three rooms.( as per the 3 room example used) Your mileage WILL vary by how the hotel handles the resv. I think it is really how the clerk arranges the folio that will in the end determine what you get.

Good Luck.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL-S,NW-S,*W-P,6C-Pl&RA
Stay and Points Credit

I frequently travel with several colleagues from Brazil in the US. Our practice has always been for me to book rooms and guarantee. I see the whole range of how the hotels handle the check in, stay credits and points.

It varies by property by clerk - different for different visits. In general, I pay for my room and my colleagues from Brazil use traveller checks at check out to pay for their rooms. Sometimes the hotel moves reservations into their names sometimes not - I suppose any time I also get credit or we/they get upgraded is fortunate. I verify that I get what I am do for what I pay for with the guaranteed credit card. Anything extra is a bonus. For most chains the plans offer limited benefit to my colleagues - but I also use my ff accounts to upgrade our flights when available.

It seems that the system control depends very much on how the desk or accounting staff at the hotel handle the stay.
Old Jul 2, 2004, 1:10 pm
sk3
Suspended

Programs: AA Gold
Variation on a theme - perhaps Mr. Sanders could weigh in...

First off, I'm just a Gold.

Here's my story - my family will be going to San Fran (probably the St. Francis) for one night in August to celebrate my father's 75th birthday. We'll need 3 rooms and of course I'd love to book this in a way that I can get all the points (hey, no one else in my family cares about them but me ).

But my parents are Gold's too (sister's nada).

So my question is, if I book all three rooms so that it's all on one folio that I'll pay to be able to get all the points, can I somehow add my father's SPG Gold number to his room reservation, so that if there are any upgrades given lowly Golds then both my room and his room would qualify?

Or would I be better off booking my parents reservation separately to insure my folk's getting a better room?

(Of course, the best room of the three that's given to us will go to my folks - but I'm just trying to increase the chance of more of us having a nicer room).

Thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.