Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who doesn't LOVE the Heavenly Bed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2004, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2.5MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond

Quick straw poll on the Heavenly Bed: Are there any others out there who do NOT prefer the Heavenly Bed to other hotel chains' beds?

I know different bodies prefer different types of beds. But I just don't think the Heavenly Bed is that heavenly. I find it stiff in an uncomfortable way. It hurts my hips when I sleep on my side. I really prefer the mattresses in the full-service Marriott hotels, which have individually-wrapped spring coils that are similar to my mattress at home. Those beds are great for any sleeping position.

I once made the mistake of asking a desk clerk at the Westin Santa Clara whether they had any rooms that had another type of bed. I vividly recall the glare of thinly-veiled contempt she flashed at me as she pointedly said No. (Her response was more like "NO. And you're a Bad Person for even asking.")

Now that I've taken up weekly residence at the Westin Stamford (Connecticut), I'm starting to get used to the Heavenly Bed. But I still wake up soon after I've shifted from my back to my side because the mattress is so stiff it puts my hips out of alignment. I'm seriously considering switching to the Marriott, even though the rate is $30 per night more. What good are the Westin's fantastic showers and wonderful staff if I can't get a proper night's rest?

Other opinions/experiences? Thanks!
Old Sep 6, 2004, 12:00 am

Programs: CO Plat - AW Plat - AA Gold - SPG Plat - HH Gold - HY Gold - WBR - Alpha Phi Omega - GO CANES!
Wow that sucks! I pay extra just to get the heavenly bed. I *LOVE* the heavenly bed.

Some clients and I all noticed that the Westin Diplomat in Ft. Lauderdale didn't have them, so there you go.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 2:43 am
Suspended

I'm very picky about the bed when it come to sleep. I would go for heavenly bed that's for sure, feel more fluffy and this new thick duvet keep me warm than those other hotel brand with thin layer of duvet and the new heavenly bed come with the new pillows as well. Believe me the heavenly bed really made my night.

Old Sep 6, 2004, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
I like the Heavenly Bed.

I like my bed at home more, to be sure, so I don't quite understand some of the sentiment on this board, pining to be able to sleep in one when not staying at a hotel - so there ya go.

Most of all I like the consistency. I know that I'll be able to sleep if I stay at a Westin. That's amazing branding. There was a thread in this forum once asking whether the Heavenly Bed might be the best ROI for a hotel marketing campaign ever.

I do prefer the Heavenly Bed over the beds I've experienced at, say, Renaissance, Hilton, Embassy Suites.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 5:37 am

I think you are in a distinct minority, possibly even on the Marriott board here on FT as well. Marriott has some of the worst beds in the industry, though they may be improving a bit.

However, everybody is different, so enjoy your Marriott bed if that's what you prefer.

-David
Old Sep 6, 2004, 6:58 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Love the bed, but what's the big deal about the shower? The one is the Westin Ottawa wasn't anything special. It was just a...shower.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 8:19 am

The Heavenly Bed is nothing amazing. Yes, it's a bit more comfortable than the typical hotel mattress, but I prefer my own bed at home.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:27 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
Originally Posted by Lori_Q
Quick straw poll on the Heavenly Bed: Are there any others out there who do NOT prefer the Heavenly Bed to other hotel chains' beds?

I know different bodies prefer different types of beds. But I just don't think the Heavenly Bed is that heavenly. I find it stiff in an uncomfortable way. It hurts my hips when I sleep on my side. I really prefer the mattresses in the full-service Marriott hotels, which have individually-wrapped spring coils that are similar to my mattress at home. Those beds are great for any sleeping position.

I once made the mistake of asking a desk clerk at the Westin Santa Clara whether they had any rooms that had another type of bed. I vividly recall the glare of thinly-veiled contempt she flashed at me as she pointedly said No. (Her response was more like "NO. And you're a Bad Person for even asking.")

Now that I've taken up weekly residence at the Westin Stamford (Connecticut), I'm starting to get used to the Heavenly Bed. But I still wake up soon after I've shifted from my back to my side because the mattress is so stiff it puts my hips out of alignment. I'm seriously considering switching to the Marriott, even though the rate is $30 per night more. What good are the Westin's fantastic showers and wonderful staff if I can't get a proper night's rest?

Other opinions/experiences? Thanks!

Are you a big person? I have a colleague who is and convinced me that its not comfortable for her because she is big. I don't see the difference....
Old Sep 6, 2004, 11:16 am
In Memoriam

Programs: CO OnePass Plat and SPG - Plat, Marriott Plat (don't use -it's a comp), AmericaWest CP
Talking Sleep Number Bed

I am not a fan of the Heavenly bed or the W Signature bed either ... Literally all they are just "Fluff" because they just have huge pillowtops on them ,,, which really isn't any better for your back...

I need my Sleep Number Bed by Select Comfort.... My Sleep Number is a 35...
www.selectcomfort.com - the air sleep system is the bed one can sleep on btw according to all major slepe studies...

-Vincent
Old Sep 6, 2004, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by suitcasejockey
Some clients and I all noticed that the Westin Diplomat in Ft. Lauderdale didn't have them, so there you go.

Huh? I've stayed there twice with rooms with heavenly beds...are you sure your rooms did not have them (their website says they do)?
Old Sep 6, 2004, 5:47 pm

The bed is fine, it just feels like there are a ton of blankets on top of you. By the time you get done kicking them all off, there is no room at the end of the bed to walk around it.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I like the bed, but I'm allergic to down. I leave the mattress pillow-top (because it's a pain to get rid of that and in fact you might not be able to), but I have to make them exchange all the pillows and the duvet.

But for some odd version, I like the Sheraton version better than the Westin version. Since I thought they were basically the same bed, this has me
Old Sep 6, 2004, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I love the bed. I'm large.

My wife loves the bed. She's small.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
The bed itself is over-rated.

Now if you ask me about the pillows, sheets, and blankets, those I'm in love with.

Can't believe such a smart group like us bought into the hype.
Old Sep 6, 2004, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
For my taste, the Westin duvet is too hot and too heavy. As for the Sweet Sleeper, I'm never quite sure when I get one because the Sheraton "S" pillow is often missing. In any case, the few times I got the "S" pillow, I liked the bed under it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.