Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Practical Travel Safety and Security Issues
Reload this Page >

Docs Reveal TSA Plan To Body-Scan Pedestrians, Train Passengers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenber...in-passengers/

Giving Transportation Security Administration agents a peek under your clothes may soon be a practice that goes well beyond airport checkpoints. Newly uncovered documents show that as early as 2006, the Department of Homeland Security has been planning pilot programs to deploy mobile scanning units that can be set up at public events and in train stations, along with mobile x-ray vans capable of scanning pedestrians on city streets.

Well, who would have thunk it?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
With the airport or events, I can see them saying that once you cross the line, you can be scanned.. However, what legal justification do they have to scan citizens on the street, who have not submitted to any type of screening?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:14 pm

Weren't there problems with insulin pumps shutting down and other medical device problems that pax who went through the scanners at Thanksgiving found?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:18 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
along with mobile x-ray vans capable of scanning pedestrians on city streets.
And if I were to randomly expose people on the street to radiation how quickly do you think I would be Gitmo'ed ?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:31 pm

Likewise, if you were to randomly show people on the street your "goods", how quickly before that activity was stopped?
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:33 pm

On page 102, under the heading of "intelligent Pedestrian Surveillance Platform", you can find the following:

DHS S&T is committed to protecting the homeland, its infrastructure, and citizens, from threats, including those presented by Improvised Explosive Devices (“IED”).
"Homeland" -- who is the moron who came up with that word?

Last edited by Cartoon Peril; Mar 2, 2011 at 5:35 pm Reason: tf
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:33 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is hardly news; these vans have been around for some time. The only news is that the documents have been released.

Someone needs to seek a TRO and injunction (see Kyllo-- it stands for more than the sanctity of the home) to stop this practice. Standing is the difficulty.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 5:54 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Silver
I think what needs to be done is the engineers at this forum build a detector. That way we can directly confront the TSA on the street.

"Do you want to walk today?" doesn't have the same punch.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:06 pm

Forbes: Documents Reveal TSA Plan To Body-Scan Pedestrians, Train Passengers

http://blogs.forbes.com/andygreenber...in-passengers/

Wow.

Indefensible.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Unfortunately, the courts seem to think that the 4th amendment has a "toss in case of terrorism" clause.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

--Ben Franklin

How quickly America forgets.
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
It's pretty disgusting!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...assengers.html
Old Mar 2, 2011, 7:35 pm

Programs: TSA Disparager Silver (but quickly rising)
Disgusting. It seems this is being done with no consultation from the public or congress (not that they would oppose it )...
Old Mar 2, 2011, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Thanks, Elizabeth. I'm going to pour through the 173 pages and file some of them as appendicies in my lawsuit.

--Jon
Old Mar 2, 2011, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ayn R Key
I think what needs to be done is the engineers at this forum build a detector. That way we can directly confront the TSA on the street.

"Do you want to walk today?" doesn't have the same punch.
^^^^

quite a disappointing story, although nothing that hasn't already been indicated by Pistole/Napolitano's public statements. The technology is so seductive and hidden that it obscures the essence of what is happening. This is going to be a long fight, over many years.

Last edited by nachtnebel; Mar 2, 2011 at 10:18 pm Reason: missed some text
Old Mar 2, 2011, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Can these mobile units be identified in some way? Sounds like a perfect case for civil disobedience (boxing them in traffic, parking them in, slashing tires, etc).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.