Old Jun 16, 2011 | 9:24 am
Original Poster
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Post Baggy pants on US flight leads to removal and arrest

Baggy pants lead to arrest at airport
College football player is arrested when he allegedly refuses to pull up pants

SAN FRANCISCO Police say a University of New Mexico football player's saggy pants led to his arrest at San Francisco International Airport.

Sgt. Michael Rodriguez says 20-year-old Deshon Marman was boarding a flight Wednesday to Albuquerque, N.M., when a U.S. Airways employee noticed his pants were "below his buttocks, but above the knees, and his boxer shorts were showing."

Rodriguez tells the San Francisco Chronicle that the employee asked Marman to pull up his pants, but he refused. She then asked him to leave the plane.

The officer says that after 15 minutes, Marman got off the plane and was cited for trespassing. . .
The entire story can be found here. . .

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43423595/ns/travel-news/
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
From the article ...
US Airways spokeswoman Valerie Wunder says the airline's dress code forbids "indecent exposure or inappropriate" attire.
Oh Ms. Wunder, some of us FTers can direct you to a notorious cross dresser who frequently travels LGW-CLT-PHX in Envoy/FC ... wearing the skimpiest of bikini-type clothing . Apparently no complaints from US employees in that case, just lots of snapshots taken.

It's always wrong to argue with a FA, even if s/he may be mistaken. I noticed the 20-year-old guy was charged with trespassing (meaning he didn't leave when asked) , and not with indecent exposure.
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 10:56 am
Original Poster
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kudzu
I noticed the 20-year-old guy was charged with trespassing (meaning he didn't leave when asked) , and not with indecent exposure.
The video report says that in addition to trespassing, he was also charged with "battery and resisting arrest."

So it seems his pajamas () hanging down below his butt is what got their attention -- but it was his reaction that got him arrested.
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 11:07 am

Programs: Amtrak S+, Kimpton IC
Pants on the ground. Pants on the ground. Looking like a fool with your pants on the ground.
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 11:09 am

Programs: Delta PM | US PP | Hilton Gold
I don't see anything wrong with this .... besides the plane being delayed
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 11:42 am

Programs: Virtuoso
Originally Posted by tolkiennut
Pants on the ground. Pants on the ground. Looking like a fool with your pants on the ground.

You just made my day!!
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 12:27 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
The entire story can be found here. . .

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43423595/ns/travel-news/
I'm an elite frequent flier who is usually dressed in a suit or business casual while travelling; this incident will keep me from flying US Air.
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 1:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I'm an elite frequent flier who is usually dressed in a suit or business casual while travelling; this incident will keep me from flying US Air.
So you dress decent, but will refuse to fly an airline because they refused service to someone with their underwear hanging out?
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 1:02 pm
50 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I don't understand. US took appropriate action and you are now not flying the airline?
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
I don't understand. US took appropriate action and you are now not flying the airline?
No, he does not think US took appropriate action. Even though he would not dress this way he does not approve this airline's and its staff's attitude.

And nor do I. It is not illegal for this guy to wear what he was wearing. He was showing his boxer shorts, not his skin. The FA who kicked him out is ridiculous. I probably do not agree with what he was wearing either (have not seen a picture), but being a FA does not make you the fashion police!

And this is another of the very many cases where FAs are abusing their powers. What about freedom? As long as there is no law against it, this guy can show his boxers.
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 1:14 pm
50 Countries Visited1M10 Years on Site

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
To each his/her own. But I stick with my original thoughts that US did the right thing.
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 1:19 pm
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by af fp
What about freedom? As long as there is no law against it, this guy can show his boxers.
AFAIK, there are many jurisdictions in the US where it is against the law (i.e. against a city ordinance) to sag one's pants.

e.g. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/30/fashion/30baggy.html

Last edited by platbrownguy; Jun 16, 2011 at 1:20 pm Reason: add link to example
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 1:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Here's what really amuses me:

Marman's mother, Donna Doyle, tells the paper that her son had attended a friend's funeral and he was still in an emotionally raw state.
I run a rental car office in Durham, NC and frequently when people are caught doing things they shouldn't (e.g. smoking in the car, not putting gas in it, keeping it longer than they've paid for etc.) they claim they were on their way to a funeral. Good to know it's not just an east coast thing.
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 2:20 pm

I don't consider wearing baggy pants at your knees being something worthy of being thrown off a plane, but ^ to the FA.
Old Jun 16, 2011 | 2:46 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by af fp
this is another of the very many cases where FAs are abusing their powers. What about freedom? As long as there is no law against it, this guy can show his boxers.
Nail on the head. This is a clear example of FA power abuse reducing freedom. Although I have a different fashion aesthetic, I don't feel it my right to tell someone else to dress. The reason why I will avoid US is not that I'm going to change my attire (or attitude) but because next time it could be one of us.
This a slippery slope: we start out arresting people for wearing clothes we don't like, then start arresting people whose lifestyles we don't share, then other religions, etc. Even when I don't share the perspective of someone else in free country, that does not mean I feel that they should not be allowed to have that perspective.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.