Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

JFK waiting 2-4 hours with kids--what to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:49 am
Original Poster

mom and kids with too much time (2-4 hours) on their tired hands at jfk, terminal 3. anything more fun to do than fighting for a table in the food court?
thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2005, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I can't think of anything there which would interest kids except for looking out the window to see all the big planes. You might want to ask the folks in the "Travel with Children" forum. They might have great ideas for you.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
How old are the kids? You could ride around in circles on the AirTrain for a while!
Old Dec 8, 2005, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
How old are the kids? You could ride around in circles on the AirTrain for a while!
You don't even have to ride around in circles. You can take the AirTrain all the way to Jamaica or Howard Beach stations and back for free, as long as you don't go through the exit turnstiles at either of those terminals.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: CO - Gold, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Silver VIP
Originally Posted by guv1976
You don't even have to ride around in circles. You can take the AirTrain all the way to Jamaica or Howard Beach stations and back for free, as long as you don't go through the exit turnstiles at either of those terminals.
Then possibly leave the kids there?
Old Dec 8, 2005, 6:03 pm

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by guv1976
That'll kill half an hour right there -- "kids, we're going on a train ride!" It's all in how you sell it.
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

ok, after we're all dizzy from the circular train ride, perhaps there is something else in a different terminal at JFK ...?
Old Dec 10, 2005, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by haniboo
ok, after we're all dizzy from the circular train ride, perhaps there is something else in a different terminal at JFK ...?
Then you take the A train to the top of Harlem and back. At that point, it'll be time for your next flight.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 12:30 am

Programs: AA gold, UA Premier, HH Gold, *wood gold, PC gold
Originally Posted by crox40
Then possibly leave the kids there?

^
Old Dec 11, 2005, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dhuey
Then you take the A train to the top of Harlem and back. At that point, it'll be time for your next flight.
Unfortunately, most of that ride will be underground.

Although I've only done it once, the ride in the other direction is quite scenic. Basically, you get to ride through the middle of Jamaica Bay. You can either ride to the end (Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue) or change at Broad Channel for the shuttle train to Rockaway Park-Beach 116 Street which has a nice Atlantic Ocean beach if the weather's agreeable. There is also the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge (the link seems to be down at the moment) which I believe is accessible from the Broad Channel station.

Last edited by monster; Dec 11, 2005 at 2:49 pm
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by monster
Unfortunately, most of that ride will be underground.

Although I've only done it once, the ride in the other direction is quite scenic. Basically, you get to ride through the middle of Jamaica Bay. You can either ride to the end (Far Rockaway-Mott Avenue) or change at Broad Channel for the shuttle train to Rockaway Park-Beach 116 Street which has a nice Atlantic Ocean beach if the weather's agreeable. There is also the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge (the link seems to be down at the moment) which I believe is accessible from the Broad Channel station.
I was just kidding, but your Rockaway idea sounds pretty good if it's a clear day.

Last edited by dhuey; Dec 11, 2005 at 10:33 pm
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:19 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
I take them on a ride on the AirTrain to visit several terminals. That should easily eat up 2 hours.

If you need to eat up more time, just keep adding more terminals.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:37 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
leave 1 hour for security, etc. That leaves you with 1-3 hours.

anything over 2 hours: take the airtrain to one of the two subway lines and take them as far as you can. Remember, if you have two hours, go for 1 hour one way, then get off and take a train back. Remember, traveling in one direction may be faster than in the other.
Old Dec 11, 2005, 9:48 pm

Programs: PC Gold; SPG AAA; HiHo Silver; Hrtz Gld; Emld Clb; UA NWA NoBody; VA EleVAte; WN MooMoo
Originally Posted by Palal
leave 1 hour for security, etc. That leaves you with 1-3 hours.

anything over 2 hours: take the airtrain to one of the two subway lines and take them as far as you can. Remember, if you have two hours, go for 1 hour one way, then get off and take a train back. Remember, traveling in one direction may be faster than in the other.
If you get on the subway, it costs $'s.

Not to mention, they might get lost in the subway system and miss their flight.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by goingsomewhere
If you get on the subway, it costs $'s.
Yes, I imagine that $2 per person might blow the budget.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.