Wiki Posts
Search

Easyjet Fare trick

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Easyjet Fare trick

Just read a little piece in Traveller Magazine about switching flights in easyjet. Since April, when you book your flight, and find that the later return flight is a cheaper one, but actually want the earlier flight,book the later one and just go to the airport and ask to be put on the earlier one, if theres space (very likely as the average easyjet flight has 23 empty seats) they will change you for free, no rebooking charge, nothing....

Points to note, it doesnt work the other way round, you cant be rebooked from an earlier flight to a later one, you'd have to pay the £15 and the ticket difference -and do it 2 hours before your flights departure.

You cant be waitlisted for the earlier flight if it turns out its full.

Cant be done for a day in advance, ie only on flights with more then 2 a day.

Cant change airports.

Since its not 100% that there will be space, dont do it if its urgent!!

They reckon that the benefits in attracting passengers, having people on flights that are on schedule (ie less compensation if something goes wrong on the later flight), and having free seats on later flights where they can charge more makes up for the admin costs.

They tried a test with a BA flight to Lyon bought for £34.50, and when they asked to change it for an earlier flight were told sure, for an extra £451.50 plus an extra £15 for ticket issue at the airport.... And they wonder why people want to move from them to the LCCs....
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
And if there isn't space on the earlier flight which is quite possible in the middle of summer, you get to wait at the airport for the flight you booked on.

This also seems like cheating to me. Ok, the system allows you to fly earlier without penalty but to deliberately play the system like that seems dishonest.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure that I would ever do this on purpose. Nevertheless, it is good to know that EZ could potentially book me on an earlier flight if an emergency were to arise. Thanks for posting the info aceman. ^

Other airline forums in FT are peppered with tales of travellers being denied this courtesy carte blanche (or told they need to pay $$$s) - the usual result is that the disgruntled FTer does their very best to get 'value' out of the lounge facilties in the interim...
Old Jul 18, 2006, 8:23 am

This is called going standby on an earlier flight in the US. While European airlines seem to frown on the practice, it's standard practice at most of the big airlines States-side.

The philosophy in Europe seems to be that if they allow it, nobody will ever buy refundable/changeable tickets. The philosophy in the US is that they'd rather get you to your destination sooner rather than later, because (1) it makes pax happy, and (2) it means there is one less passenger to worry about on the later flight if something goes wrong (delays, overbooking, etc.).

Glad to hear Easyjet is taking the passenger-friendly philosophy.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:13 am

Programs: CO-Plat, DL-Gold
This is second hand, but I've been told by coworkers who tried to fly on an earlier Easyjet flight, that it's only possible if you are not checking bags (which can be difficult, given EasyJet's miserly carry on allowances).

Apparently these two tried to fly standby, but were told they couldn't because easyjet couldn't guarantee they could get the bags on the same flight if they were cleared at the last minute. And the bags had to go with the passengers. YMMV...
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by USA_flyer
And if there isn't space on the earlier flight which is quite possible in the middle of summer, you get to wait at the airport for the flight you booked on.

This also seems like cheating to me. Ok, the system allows you to fly earlier without penalty but to deliberately play the system like that seems dishonest.

Why on earth would it be cheating?? They deliberately amended their policy in April to allow and encourage it because they believe its in their favour!

From the article:

"But is easyJet not worried about possible 'tariff abuse'? A search of its multi-frequence routes shows a clear pattern of early flights costing more than those late in the evening. Isnt the airline concerned that people will follow our example and book the cheaper, last departure of the day in the hope of travelling on an earlier flight? Apparently not, because as Day (spokeswoman) says, a pax who turns up at the airport and manages to get on the earlier flight will ocupy a seat that the airline would not usually sell so close to departure time. [....] when there is the prospect of flight disruption getting pax away earlier reduces the airlines exposure to potential compensation payments."

Moreover, this is totally different to being on standby i'll quote from the article again:

"When i switch flights will I be treated as a standby passenger? No, once the transfer has been made you have the same rights as any other passenger. You will not be offloaded in favour of someone with a booking made on the earlier flight"

And its Easyjets own spokeswoman saying that statistically you have a good chance of getting on the earlier flight, and her figure of flights on average being 85% full.

Overall i'd say its a win win situation, and i for one am happy to see someone using a bit of common sense...
Old Jul 18, 2006, 10:57 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Southwest (WN) the mother (and father?) of LCCs used to allow this. However, too many were (ab)using this policy and they now state that you have to purchase a full-fare non-refundable ticket to standby on an earlier flight. Now, this policy makes no sense to me, because ideally you want to get people to their destination ASAP, maybe even earlier, so that you have a seat to sell for the later flight. On the other hand, people may want to purchase cheaper tix for later flights and standby for earlier ones, but if there's no space, nobody's at a loss.

BTW WN, unlike EZ, has a "flat-tire" rule: if you miss your flight, you can go out on the next one if it's within 3(?) hours of your original flight.
Old Jul 18, 2006, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by schmare
This is second hand, but I've been told by coworkers who tried to fly on an earlier Easyjet flight, that it's only possible if you are not checking bags (which can be difficult, given EasyJet's miserly carry on allowances).

Apparently these two tried to fly standby, but were told they couldn't because easyjet couldn't guarantee they could get the bags on the same flight if they were cleared at the last minute. And the bags had to go with the passengers. YMMV...
Huh???

What do you mean EZ's miserly carry on allowance???

EZ were the first European airline that I'm aware of to get rid of a weight allowance for carry on luggage ^ ^ ^ .

"one standard piece of hand baggage to maximum dimensions of 55x40x20cm" the only weight restriction is that you need to be able to stow it away unaided.

"In addition, passengers may carry on board a handbag, clutchbag, coat, umbrella, duty-free goods (small items), a laptop computer, car seats for infant passengers and small items of photographic or scientific equipment. These will not form part of the above allowances."

Easyjet certainly don't have a miserly carry on allowance - quite the opposite!
Old Jul 19, 2006, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Originally Posted by aceman
Why on earth would it be cheating?? They deliberately amended their policy in April to allow and encourage it because they believe its in their favour!

From the article:

"But is easyJet not worried about possible 'tariff abuse'? A search of its multi-frequence routes shows a clear pattern of early flights costing more than those late in the evening. Isnt the airline concerned that people will follow our example and book the cheaper, last departure of the day in the hope of travelling on an earlier flight? Apparently not, because as Day (spokeswoman) says, a pax who turns up at the airport and manages to get on the earlier flight will ocupy a seat that the airline would not usually sell so close to departure time. [....] when there is the prospect of flight disruption getting pax away earlier reduces the airlines exposure to potential compensation payments."

Moreover, this is totally different to being on standby i'll quote from the article again:

"When i switch flights will I be treated as a standby passenger? No, once the transfer has been made you have the same rights as any other passenger. You will not be offloaded in favour of someone with a booking made on the earlier flight"

And its Easyjets own spokeswoman saying that statistically you have a good chance of getting on the earlier flight, and her figure of flights on average being 85% full.

Overall i'd say its a win win situation, and i for one am happy to see someone using a bit of common sense...
I can see what you're saying, but to buy the cheaper fare for the later flight with the deliberate intention of getting the earlier flight seems like cheating to me. If Easyjet are happy for you to do that then fine, it just seems to me that if you want the earlier flight then pony up for it.
Old Jul 19, 2006, 5:50 am

Given that most low costs airlines make their money by charging for everything, I can't see why Easyjet would change your flight without charging you for the privilege
Old Jul 19, 2006, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by alanR
Given that most low costs airlines make their money by charging for everything, I can't see why Easyjet would change your flight without charging you for the privilege
Because they can resell your seat on the later flight.

If you are at the airport at 10am for a 1pm flight, but they move you to the 11am flight, this gives them 3 hours to resell your seat on the 1pm. EasyJet runs at 85%+ load factors with peak daytime flights running very close, if not at, capacity.

There are no charges at all here, although I know (given general airline practice) why you may be cynical.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 8:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by themicah
This is called going standby on an earlier flight in the US. While European airlines seem to frown on the practice, it's standard practice at most of the big airlines States-side.

The philosophy in Europe seems to be that if they allow it, nobody will ever buy refundable/changeable tickets. The philosophy in the US is that they'd rather get you to your destination sooner rather than later, because (1) it makes pax happy, and (2) it means there is one less passenger to worry about on the later flight if something goes wrong (delays, overbooking, etc.).

Glad to hear Easyjet is taking the passenger-friendly philosophy.
Does this also work with other LCCs? I am in particular interested in Air Berlin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.