Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Splitting segments on through flights - for upgrades or seat selection (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Splitting segments on through flights - for upgrades or seat selection (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2007, 7:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP,MR PP,Hyatt Diam, SPG Plat,PC Plat, HH Gold, National EE

I am flying on Flight 1773 MIA-DFW-LAX. On the first part MIA-DFW seat 21B is available and on the DFW-LAX segment seat 21J is available. But since it's all one flight for me these seats show up online as unavailable because neither one is open for both. I spoke to one CSR and he couldn't help me. Anyone have success doing this and if yes, how did you do it? Thanks.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 10, 2008 at 4:32 pm Reason: edit back in original post title
Old Apr 15, 2007, 7:12 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Plt, 3.0MM Admiral's Club
Originally Posted by travelismylife
I am flying on Flight 1773 MIA-DFW-LAX. On the first part MIA-DFW seat 21B is available and on the DFW-LAX segment seat 21J is available. But since it's all one flight for me these seats show up online as unavailable because neither one is open for both. I spoke to one CSR and he couldn't help me. Anyone have success doing this and if yes, how did you do it? Thanks.
I don't think you can do that. Every time I've had a continuing flight I've always had the same seat. Maybe the computer doesn't want you playing musical seats?

Is the seat that you have less than satisfactory?
Old Apr 15, 2007, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Call again. Frequently EXP agents split these direct flights into two for me (for upgrade purposes) so I don't see any reason why any agent couldn't do it for your situation.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 15, 2007, 7:18 pm

Split Up Reservation?

I spoke to one CSR and he couldn't help me.
I'm not sure if this applies in your case, but I was flying MIA-(LAX)-HNL on AA #267, and a complimentary upgrade was only available on 1 leg at the 100-hour mark. Somehow, he was able to split up the flight, and after, I was able to view online as 2 separate flights, and select seats.

I suspect if you call back, a different representative maybe be able to "split up" the reservation.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EX PLT
I'm not sure you are actaully "splitting" the res here -- when you are flying in 2 different cabins, you will be in different seats. But the OP is in the same cabin.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HH DIAMOND, SOUTHWEST RR, HERTZ
I have this issue I think for AA#1549 SJU-SEA with a stop in DFW sked for 5/24. I actually do have two different seats - as shown on my AA Itinerary - but when looking through "My reservations" can only see sJU-SEA and the seat for the 2nd leg of that journey (DFW-SEA). Not sure exactly why that is - because if I pull up the flight for SJU-DFW alone, I clearly have a different exit row seat.

I think sometimes even though it's the same flight # - there are equipment changes also so that you would not necessarily even be on the same plane from one leg to the next.

Not sure anything online will help, perhaps call again & try for another CSR.

Sincerely, - jdburns11
Old Apr 15, 2007, 9:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Such strange going ons

Thanks everyone for their input. I called web services and after 10 minutes of me explaining what I wanted he said he couldn't help. Saw what Miamiprep wrote and that gave me an idea. Called the AA Platinum desk again and told the lady that I just wanted to upgrade the DFW-LAX segment, so could she please split this into 2 separate flights. Been on the phone with her for nearly 20 minutes. First she said that on her computer it shows my iten. as a non-stop flight from MIA-LAX with no stop in DFW. I said that's strange because that's not what it shows on mine, plus you could book just MIA-DFW on flight 1773. Said she'll look into it and puts me on hold. Gets on every 4 or 5 minutes saying she's still looking. Then she gets on telling me she's just gonna rebook it. Then she gets on telling me the system won't let her. Back on hold. She just got on telling me she's trying to get in contact with her supervisor. Well at least I got this done while waiting... Ok, thirty minutes now... Now, forty... Just got on saying still waiting on a supervisor, nearing 50 minutes... All done, and she did it in just over an hour. Oh god, she added an extra dfw-lax segment to my iten. and the seat says unassigned and when I clink on it it says MIA-LAX. So my iten. looks like DFW-LAX then MIA-DFW and then DFW-LAX again. Just changed my post title. Such strange going ons.
Old Apr 15, 2007, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Glad to hear you got it sorted out (kind of). Some agents (even at the EXP desk) have absolutely no idea how to do this (one even insisted on charging a few extra dollars in tax!). Others seem to do this everyday and accomplish the split in a few minutes without any kind of supervisory help. In a case like this, it always pays to try again until you get an informed agent.

-FlyerBeek
Old Apr 16, 2007, 1:10 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
... she's trying to get in contact with her supervisor.
... still waiting on a supervisor ...
All done ...
You've just pointed out what is perhaps the single biggest benefit of reaching EXP status. Most EXP AAgents are supervisors or higher. EXP rocks!^
Old Apr 16, 2007, 2:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, BAEC
The guys at the UK Plat line know how to sort it! Had the same issue twice with 67 lhr to ord then onward to dfw getting me the J seats on the short leg and the exit row on the long leg! First time took them 20 mins to sort for 3 people, then next time no more than 5 mins. Guess I'm just lucky or could be so-called "british efficiency"!
Old Apr 16, 2007, 3:13 am

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Surely that's Irish Efficiency
Old Apr 16, 2007, 3:30 am

Programs: AA Gold, BAEC
Originally Posted by duchy
Surely that's Irish Efficiency
Why Irish, was an english phone number, although the guys at the other end are usually polish.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 4:11 am

Because the "UK Plat number" just goes through to the standard Europe call centre in Dublin.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 6:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

What a mess

No one I've spoken to really gets what I'm trying to do. Anyway I log in this morning and check my iten. and I see someone canceled the first leg- my MIA-DFW segment. So now it says just DFW-LAX and then the return. Trying to get this straightened out... Bottom line: I never would've bothered if I'd known how difficult it would be for them. I'm not sure why exactly it is, everyone here understood this right away.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 9:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Back to square one

After spending another hour and more on the phone, I finally got my first segment reinstated. And now I'm back to square one, all one flight and I can only pick one seat all the way through. Well, lesson learned- I'll never try this again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.