Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Some notes on Flying AS / Alaska as an AA Elite (archival)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT-Lite. UA Recovering 1k, HH Silver
Some notes on Flying AS / Alaska as an AA Elite (archival)

I’ve been flying AS a fair amount lately, so I thought I’d put together a few pointers. A couple of these are repetitions of things I’ve learned here, but most are things I learned by doing. If I’m in error, please correct me. If you’ve got additional tips and tricks please add them in.

If you live on the West Coast, particularly anywhere outside of the LAX area, chances are you’ll be flying Alaska Airlines in order to stay true to AAdvantage without changing planes in DFW.

Here’s the good news: AS is a good airline overall with mostly relatively new planes, good first class service and nice crews. You will get EQMs, EQPS, segments and Elite bonuses just as if you were flying on AA. Most (all?) AS flights have an AA codeshare number, and if you fly on an AA flight number the EQPs count towards challenges. Your elite status on AA will get you into nicer Y seats on AS.

Here’s the bad news: Your AA elite status isn’t going to give you any preferential treatment towards upgrades. Upgrades are going to be relatively more expensive than on AA. There are no powerports on AS planes. Your AAdmirals club membership is no help getting into AS lounges (Board Rooms).

Some specifics:

PNRs (Confirmation Numbers):
If you’ve booked a codeshare ticket (AA flight number) your PNR or Record Locator on AA is different from your AS ‘Confirmation Code’ which is all letters, no numbers. You will need your AS Confirmation Code in order to complete OLCI or change seats, so get it. The only way I know to get it is to call AS, give them your flight number and last name and they’ll give you your Confirmation Code.

Seat Assignments:
As an AA Elite, you’re entitled to sit in row 6 (front of Y) or the exit rows. If you book full Y you’re entitled to those locations whether or not you’re an AA Elite. If you book through AA.com, their systems will share the fact that you’re an AA Elite and you will usually be assigned directly into row 6. If you book through an outside agent, with an AA flight number, AS’s systems won’t recognize your Eliteness. Online you won’t have access to the good seats unless you paid full Y. If you call the AA Plat or EXP desks, they can see the good AS seat inventory and give it to you. Row 6 gets to board ahead of the rest of cattle class, but if they’re doing it right, AA Elites board at the same time.

Upgrades:
Any coach passenger can upgrade at the airport if FC seats are available. It costs $50 on short flights and $100 on mid-cons. I don’t know what the procedure of releasing the seats is (check the AS forum) but I’ve never had any luck before OLCI. I haven’t seen any evidence yet of a ‘list’. You ask, you can either buy an upgrade or you can’t. AS Elites get upgrades free. AA Elites are part of the great unwashed.

Check-in:
You can check in online 24 hours in advance. You’ll need the AS Confirmation Code. If you have an AS flight connecting to an AA flight the OLCI will check you in for both. I don’t know if this counts as OLCI AA for upgrade lists because the only time I did it my AA upgrade cleared prior to the switch to the airport list. There are check-in kiosks in most (all?) AS airports, some are airside (nice!). You cannot check in on these until the day of the flight. Although it is not clearly marked, AA Elites can use the AS first class check-in lines.

Security/boarding:
I have had good luck getting into the Elite security lines at SFO and SAN using my AA Plat card. This is significant because there are no AA gates behind the security used for AS at those airports and the signs don’t explicitly say AA Elites get to use the line. Boarding order on AS is: 1) Pre-boards, 2) First and AS 'MVP Golds', 3) Row 6, AS 'MVPs' and partner Elites (that’s you) 4) Row 15 and higher, 5) General boarding. They have a first class line and a teeming masses line. While it may not be official AS policy, my experience has been that AA Elites can use the First Class line at any point during the boarding process, YMMV.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

NOTE: As of October 26, 2011, Alaska Airlines and American Airlines have significantly expanded reciprocal privileges to AAdvantage and MVP elites flying on each other's airlines. Please see this thread for details; this thread is now obsolete due to the fact much of the information is now not in accordance with the new reciprocal privileges.

For consolidated information based on this thread, see also the FlyerGuide Wiki (in process of being updated):

Alaska Airlines Flights for the AA Flyer

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 8, 2012 at 10:50 am Reason: modify added mod note
Old Apr 27, 2007, 12:53 pm

"Although it is not clearly marked, AA Elites can use the AS first class check-in lines"

This is new to me and would be a wonderful perk. Has anyone been able to do this in SEA?
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
Thanks for the info--very helpful as I have a couple code-share AS legs next week, and AS would not let me in the exit row. A quick call to PLT line solved the problem.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:28 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by wherenext
"Although it is not clearly marked, AA Elites can use the AS first class check-in lines"

This is new to me and would be a wonderful perk. Has anyone been able to do this in SEA?
I've done it at SEA and the agent acted like it was a normal perk (EXP using AS F check-in). But the SEA agents are pretty laid back all the time.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:34 pm

Thanks Number 6. I have a couple of AS flights next week and will have to try this out.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:35 pm

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by nomore1k
Upgrades:
Any coach passenger can upgrade. It costs $50 on short flights and $100 on mid-cons. You can request it from AS over the phone as soon as you’ve got your ticket. I don’t know what the procedure of releasing the seats is (check the AS forum) but I’ve never had any luck before OLCI. I haven’t seen any evidence yet of a ‘list’. You ask, you can either buy an upgrade or you can’t. AS Elites get upgrades free. AA Elites are part of the great unwashed.
It's a bit more complicated. AS has two elite tiers, MVP Golds (the highest tier) who request an upgrade find out at 72 hours. MVPs (the lowest tier) find out at 48 hours. Unlike AAdvantage Gold and Platinum who have to use "stickers" on AA, upgrades for both MVP Gold and MVPs are free on AS. MVP Golds also get 4 one-way upgrade coupons/year that can be used to upgrade to FC at time of ticket purchase if U inventory is available. People using mileage can also upgrade at time of purchase if U inventory is available. The process you describe for upgrading is available at the airport through the kiosk, at the ticket counter, or at the gate for all other passengers IF (and that's a BIG IF) there is any FC inventory left over after AS elites get their free upgrades. Of course, it's worth a try, but highly unlikely on mid-cons and trans-cons. I'm an AS MVP Gold and rarely get upgraded on transcons, AS does an excellent job of selling those seats.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
It's a bit more complicated. AS has two elite tiers, MVP Golds (the highest tier) who request an upgrade find out at 72 hours. MVPs (the lowest tier) find out at 48 hours. Unlike AAdvantage Gold and Platinum who have to use "stickers" on AA, upgrades for both MVP Gold and MVPs are free on AS. MVP Golds also get 4 one-way upgrade coupons/year that can be used to upgrade to FC at time of ticket purchase if U inventory is available. People using mileage can also upgrade at time of purchase if U inventory is available. The process you describe for upgrading is available at the airport through the kiosk, at the ticket counter, or at the gate for all other passengers IF (and that's a BIG IF) there is any FC inventory left over after AS elites get their free upgrades. Of course, it's worth a try, but highly unlikely on mid-cons and trans-cons. I'm an AS MVP Gold and rarely get upgraded on transcons, AS does an excellent job of selling those seats.
Thanks for the clarification. It makes sense. One addition, the upgrade is also available for non-status who are booked full Y at OLCI. I've done it. Two things about the policy as you describe it don't match what I've heard from AS: 1) When I called about 48 hours in advance of a flight and asked for an upgrade the agent checked and told me none were available, she didn't say anything about my status and I didn't dial an elite number. 2) At the gate on the one flight I wasn't able to upgrade on the last trip I had a long nice chat with the gate agent who told me that, with no AS status, I can request an upgrade as soon as I book the ticket (another GA was listening and nodding). I have certainly learned that when there is a disagreement between an FT'er who's done it a lot and a GA I believe the FT'er, but I find it interesting that the GA knew so little about the policy.

I'll edit my orignal post to reflect the policy as you descibe it. Thank you.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 1:53 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by nomore1k
... 2) At the gate on the one flight I wasn't able to upgrade on the last trip I had a long nice chat with the gate agent who told me that, with no AS status, I can request an upgrade as soon as I book the ticket (another GA was listening and nodding). ....
But the request may be waitlisted even if inventory is available (so effectively it is processed later, after the AS elite free upgrades have been dispensed). So the GA was right, just misleading as most would assume request = getting upgrade if available.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
I have to fly AS PDX-ANC after 10/1 when AA stops Alaska service.

What are AS option for advance upgrading and approx worth in cc in exchange for AA miles and/or EVIPs?
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alhcfp

What are AS option for advance upgrading and approx worth in cc in exchange for AA miles and/or EVIPs?
See post #6 for the options. Can't comment on the value. AS forum might be better for that question.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by alhcfp

The two options that ensure an immediate upgrade are 1) redeem AS miles (10,000 miles one-way) or 2) find an MVP Gold member who has an extra upgrade coupon to share. If U inventory is available, you can grab it immediately. Other options put you on a waiting list, and with no status at AS you will be in line behind all of the AS elites who get a free upgrade. On the PDX-ANC route, I doubt there will be any upgrade space left the day of the flight.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
But the request may be waitlisted even if inventory is available (so effectively it is processed later, after the AS elite free upgrades have been dispensed). So the GA was right, just misleading as most would assume request = getting upgrade if available.
I agree. I have never heard of being wait listed for a purchased upgrade for a non-elite, I always thought they were day-of-flight only. The end effect is the same though, you get in line behind all of the AS elites who get free upgrades. AS used to put little signs up at the gates in SeaTac if upgrades were available on a flight. I haven't seen any in a long, long time. Not to say they're not available, but non-elites should never count on them.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 5:05 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Wonder if they status-match AA?
Old Apr 27, 2007, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Travelergcp
Do a search in the AS forum for "Status match." the answer seems to be yes.
Old Apr 27, 2007, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLI-Flyer
Not to say they're not available, but non-elites should never count on them.
Well I've managed an upgrade on 5/6 segments in the past 30 days, but they were all pretty light loads and no mid or trans-cons (I use AA for those). Didn't see a sign on any of them, was offered upgrade at OLCI on the two full-fare Ys.

Originally Posted by Travelergcp
Even if they do, you'd have to fly on your AS FF# to get the upgrade, which kind of defeats the whole purpose.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.